Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I generally only just carry my weapon with no backup magazines because I haven't found a good way to carry it. Carrying a spare in my pocket isn't something the I enjoy not only due to the bulk, but also I worry about lint and other crud getting inside it. My usual mode of carry is IWB so I really don't want to have another item shoved in there too.

I have a SmartCarry and I've considered using it only for a mag (I prefer IWB for my firearm because it is more accessible and comfortable) or getting a small belt to use my belt holder on my ankle for concealed carry of a spare.

Do most people here carry a spare mag? If so, how do you carry it?

Thanks for your experiences and guidance!

·
Registered
701 Posts
I carry mine in an Uncle Mikes mag holder. It is a single but I only have one extra mag. It is an owb belt mag holster kinda like a folding knife sheeth. I'll post a pic if needed. I picked it up for less than $15 at gunnies in orem.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it look like a knife/cell phone sheath or is it fairly obvious what is being carried? I have an OWB carrier, but (to me at least) is fairly obvious what is being carried and it is pretty noticeable (doesn't blend in with my clothing very well).

·
Registered
701 Posts
I don't think to the average person that it would apear as a mag holster. Maybe for one of us that know better would spot it. It does look like a knife sheth I'll post a pic in a couple min.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I just use the sheath for my Leatherman. Unless I open it, everyone thinks it's just a pocket tool.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks!! :shades:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
mchlwise said:
roseblood said:
I just use the sheath for my Leatherman. Unless I open it, everyone thinks it's just a pocket tool.
I've heard this suggestion before. It's a good one. :shades:
I got one of those sheaths for a Cabela's special Leatherman clone, a small one. It fits my KT P32 mag very nicely. I guess that is something I need to really consider doing. :dunno:

ian

Addendum:
This morning while doing my rounds at work, I here a metal klunk behind me. I look around and there is my magazine lying on the walkway. I picked up my magazine and put it back in my special Cabela's holder only to have it slip right out the bottom. :shock: The thread at the bottom of my special Cabela's holder has totally unraveled. :shocked: Needless to say, it isn't holding my magazine any more, my pocket is now.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
You could use the SmartCarry, but it's slow and there's no real good reason to do that unless you carry your sidearm there as well.

I agree with the pocket tool pouch idea (or even a cell phone pouch might work).

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
I don't carry an extra magazine.

However, if I did, the leatherman pouch idea is the best I have ever seen! Nobodies going to know what it is or even take so much as a second look.

·
Registered
613 Posts
BlackHawk mag holder, clipped on belt.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This is my preferred setup. Both are inside the waist band and both are made by Cobra Leather. I wear my 45 on the right, mag on the left. Very comfortable setup in my opinion.

·
Registered
356 Posts
heavykevy said:
I generally only just carry my weapon with no backup magazines because I haven't found a good way to carry it. Carrying a spare in my pocket isn't something the I enjoy not only due to the bulk, but also I worry about lint and other crud getting inside it. My usual mode of carry is IWB so I really don't want to have another item shoved in there too.

I have a SmartCarry and I've considered using it only for a mag (I prefer IWB for my firearm because it is more accessible and comfortable) or getting a small belt to use my belt holder on my ankle for concealed carry of a spare.

Do most people here carry a spare mag? If so, how do you carry it?

Thanks for your experiences and guidance!
I carry 3 extra mags. Two on the hip and one for now on the ankle. I just bought 8 more and are planning to carry ALL of them.
:lol2:

TJ

·
Registered
29 Posts
And here I thought I had coined the leatherman pouch idea! Works well for my single stacks and I use a Uncle Henry's knife pouch for my larger mags. The only thing that sucks is I never have my leatherman when I need it anymore.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Desantis makes an ankle mag carrier that I've been thinking of trying.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I usually use the Smart Carry holster which has a mag pouch sewn in. However, when I am using an IWB holster, I use an ankle mag holster or a belt pouch similar to as seen above. Almost everyone sees it as a tool pouch and asks no questions. I carry an extra mag because the magazine is usually the cause of problems in a gun. If the gun goes down for FTF I can switch to a new mag or if my mag is taken or falls out for some reason I have a backup. It’s always nice to have 30 rounds ready for the zombie attacks, although. :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts