Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was the first time I've ever successfully carried "on my person" for more than an hour or so. I have only the one holster for my gun and I hate it, because it holds the gun up too high and canted so that the back corner of the grip jabs in the ribs. I found that if I put it directly over the center of my stomach, I could carry it more comforably, although not "unforgettably" comfortable. It went pretty well; we went to several stores, doing the shopping, and I was confident that it was concealed enough so I wasn't self-conscious about it. I actually made it all day! I admit, I'm overly paranoid about my gun making any kind of appearance, including printing, because so many of my other girlfriends would FREAK if they found out I had taken a gun to a playdate or something. Anyway, so I'm thinking that a Smart Carry would work pretty well for me, because it would put the gun in that same position, but keep the grip more horizontal on the top, and lower in my pants.

Just thought I'd share. :)

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
CONGRATS! I have started carrying for longer periods of time too. It really depends on your clothing as to how it fits and how well it is concealed.

A wise women told me something when I started to carry. That is that other people are not even thinking that you may have a gun on even if they saw some "printing" or the bottom of the holster. It really depends on how much you down play it yourself, or if you are always tugging at your shirt to check if it is covered.

I guess I am saying, the more comfortable you are, the less likely you will draw the attention. That is why I carried around the house before I went out in public.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TriciaDodge said:
CONGRATS! I have started carrying for longer periods of time too. It really depends on your clothing as to how it fits and how well it is concealed.

A wise women told me something when I started to carry. That is that other people are not even thinking that you may have a gun on even if they saw some "printing" or the bottom of the holster. It really depends on how much you down play it yourself, or if you are always tugging at your shirt to check if it is covered.

I guess I am saying, the more comfortable you are, the less likely you will draw the attention. That is why I carried around the house before I went out in public.
I agree with that, too. The biggest thing that keeps me from carrying is having such an uncomfortable holster. I think once I get one that I can wear and not be jabbed in the ribs everytime I move, I'll carry a lot more and be a lot less self conscious about it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Congrats! Sounds like you know what's going to be most comfortable for you! If smart carry is your choice then go for it. Being comfortable is the key. Both physically and mentally.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am not worried about carring and drawing to much attanchen. Because i just go on with what i am doing and talk to my husband or friend how ever is with me. I have never had any truble. I like padle holsters I think they are comfertable. I have carred in places all day and never had any truble. Know i will not go anywere without my gun when before i was kind of scarred that people were going to make truble. But i am not wored any more. :p :wink: :D

·
Registered
389 Posts
Once you start carrying all the time and you are comfortable with it, you will realize that people don't really notice! Very few do. 99% of my encounters have been positive. :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
When I carried for the first time, I was sure that everyone around me could see the print under my shirt. It irritated the heck out of me when people got too close to me, or bumped into me. I carry IWB and it works pretty good, but I still need to resist the urge to check my shirt is pulled down. Still I agree, very few people will notice, or even be thinking that I might have a gun. I put my gun on every morning as a matter of habit, and depending on what my work assignment is, decide if I can carry it out of the car or not. Yesterday I had to leave it in the car, so when I took it off, I tucked my shirt in, forgetting that my holster was still there. It was quite a while before I realized that my holster had been visible, but if anyone had noticed, no one said anything

I laugh because some of the people I work with had a conversation the other day on how bad guns were, and how they were afraid of them. I was carrying then, and kept thinking, well if they only knew that i had a glock 23 on my belt, I wonder what they would say

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
That is funny! :ROFL:

I know you were at work, but don't you wish that you could have said, "Funny thing, all morning this never hurt anyone!" and showed them.

Don't forget to respond about the women's shoot, I am setting the date on Mon.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great story about the holster. :lol2:

·
Registered
389 Posts
TriciaDodge said:
What happened with your 1%?
Weird and concerned looks! Some guy I think was lost prevention at Wally World came up to me, flashed some sort of badge, which wasn't a real badge, at least not an officer badge and said that I needed to cover my gun up. I said no I don't. What I was doing was perfectly legal. He then asked if I had a permit, I said yes I do but you don't have to have a permit to open carry. I said I know the laws. He said really, I will look into that! OK thanks! and that was it. I haven't had any really bad experiences! That and looks were probably the worst. Everyone else has had great things to say, just wondering or curious, wanting to gain more knowledge, saying they liked what I was doing, etc. Maybe because I am a women I haven't had and really bad experiences. Its not everyday you see a women OC (that's of course when I do). Hopefully I don't ever have a bad experience!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Annie said:
I laugh because some of the people I work with had a conversation the other day on how bad guns were, and how they were afraid of them. I was carrying then, and kept thinking, well if they only knew that i had a glock 23 on my belt, I wonder what they would say
That is quite funny, next time they could become really educated if you talked to them. And told them there is nothing to fear. Guns themselves can't hurt anything.

·
Registered
304 Posts
packingmama said:
I haven't had any really bad experiences! That and looks were probably the worst. Everyone else has had great things to say, just wondering or curious, wanting to gain more knowledge, saying they liked what I was doing, etc. Maybe because I am a women I haven't had and really bad experiences. Its not everyday you see a women OC (that's of course when I do). Hopefully I don't ever have a bad experience!
That is so cool! Seriously, if more of us women OC'd it would help the movement of keeping the right to bear arms tremendously! :thumbup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
utahmomof4 said:
Anyway, so I'm thinking that a Smart Carry would work pretty well for me, because it would put the gun in that same position, but keep the grip more horizontal on the top, and lower in my pants.

Just thought I'd share. :)
Congratulations on carrying!

I use a Smart Carry and I have liked it much better than any other method I have tried. The only problem I have is if I want to wear tighter shirts then I feel like it prints (although my husband swears it doesn't) and if I wear jeans that hug tightly to the crotch area then the tip of the gun is a little more noticable (which looks WRONG...women shouldn't have a buldge there :raisedbrow: ) and it makes it less comfortable. But who expects to carry and not have to make ANY changes to the clothing they wear?

Your post made me laugh because I am as paranoid as you are! My family/friends would flip if they knew I was carrying a gun.... especially around their children :shock: Anyways congratulations!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I appreciate your review on the Smart Carry. I'm pretty convinced that that's what I want, so I'm glad for your input on the clothing, etc.

LOL about the buldge... so true, that just looks wrong. :lolbang:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use a smart carry most of the time. I have had to get used to it because if I don't have my gun in right, it rubs on my tummy. I made an in-my-bra carry thing that I used for a while. It was very comfortable, but I worried about how it would be if I had to get to my gun..."Hang on there, I just need to get something out of here!!" :lol3: Yeah, I'll bet that would go over really big! I think that carrying is alot like Jr. High. Everyone is so busy thinking about herself that she won't notice any others. I know my extended family would absolutely freak if they knew I carried, but my three kids feel safer when we go anywhere after dark when I carry. My son (23) asks me if I have my little buddy, Kel, with me.

The only time I have found carrying to be awkward is when I forget I have my gun and go clothes shopping. :roll:
RuthMaeJ

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience with the SmartCarry. Good to know.

And welcome to the group!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts