Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the impact guns in Kearns on 4075 W. 4715 S. I was looking at a TAC light and the man next to me was looking at Glock with one of the store employees and he voiced a concern that there was no safety and might go off if dropped or bumped wrong. The employee then unholstered his gun and threw it on the ground while it was loaded! I know that it shouldn't go off but it made me feel slightly endangered. I said "Hey that’s not very safe handling." and was bombed with comments by all 3 of the employees there about how it's completely safe and I was being "paranoid."
My question is, am I wrong to be uncomfortable in that position? I have normally had good experience with them. (See my post, viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2742 )
I walked out of the store feeling annoyed and insulted. I think I may stick with the Ogden store.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,167 Posts
Yeah, not cool; and the responses, enough to make me shop elsewhere. If you are down in Kearns, just head on over to FBMG on 13200 South, they are great guys and none of them are idiots like you appear to have encountered.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,757 Posts
scott.pete06 said:
The employee then unholstered his gun and threw it on the ground while it was loaded!
:shock:

That's nuts. Sure, it should be perfectly safe, but I take the "don't point at what you don't intend to destroy" seriously, and a gun bouncing around on the floor is just not cool. No one should EVER just ignore the safety rules like that. Not because what he did was necessarily dangerous, assuming the gun was in good repair, but because allowing yourself to relax the rules even occasionally means there's a good chance you'll eventually relax them when you shouldn't have.

If he wanted to take a cocked but unloaded gun, pointed in a reasonably-safe direction and hit it with a hammer or whatever to show that it wouldn't "go off", that would be sufficient proof, without tossing all the safety rules out the window.

And for the employees to jump all over a customer who complained about poor safety practices? Execrable customer service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
scott.pete06 said:
I walked out of the store feeling annoyed and insulted. I think I may stick with the Ogden store.
eh... both stores IMO have a tendancy to do this to their customers, unless ofcourse your spending a grand or more.
There are some really nice guys/gals working there you just got to figure out who they are
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GeneticsDave said:
Yeah, not cool; and the responses, enough to make me shop elsewhere. If you are down in Kearns, just head on over to FBMG on 13200 South, they are great guys and none of them are idiots like you appear to have encountered.
I live in so. jo. so I'm close to FBMG. I only went to impact because they had the streamlight trl-1 on sale for $85 looking back I should have gone to cabela's and had them price match it...

side note, I love the light. It works great! lights up my whole basement at night.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
scott.pete06 said:
GeneticsDave said:
Yeah, not cool; and the responses, enough to make me shop elsewhere. If you are down in Kearns, just head on over to FBMG on 13200 South, they are great guys and none of them are idiots like you appear to have encountered.
I live in so. jo. so I'm close to FBMG. I only went to impact because they had the streamlight trl-1 on sale for $85 looking back I should have gone to cabela's and had them price match it...

side note, I love the light. It works great! lights up my whole basement at night.
Its probably not too late to return it, and then buy one at Cabela's (if you destroyed the packaging, buy one at Cabela's on price match and return it to Impact). Few things kick commissioned sales people where it hurts like returns.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
613 Posts
He should not have done that, I would not have felt safe in that position also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
If thats the type of people they employ there please don't go back, except to return the light. I try not to bad mouth people but that was increadibly stupid. He could have done the same test with the gun unloaded and then pull the trigger (in a safe direction) to prove that it didn't discharge upon being tossed. The fact that the other guys had that reaction says a lot about them as well.

Thanks Dave for the suggestion of FBMG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
eddified said:
eddified said:
I agree it's probably an irresponsible thing to do in a gun store.
Edit: not only in a gun store, but anywhere
Yes!!! Maybe it's just the Smithy :bat: in me but it makes me want to choke someone out (wouldn't really, but...) for abusing their carry gun like that. Most of us are trusting our lives to ours and take care of them accordingly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FBMG Smithy said:
eddified said:
eddified said:
I agree it's probably an irresponsible thing to do in a gun store.
Edit: not only in a gun store, but anywhere
Yes!!! Maybe it's just the Smithy :bat: in me but it makes me want to choke someone out (wouldn't really, but...) for abusing their carry gun like that. Most of us are trusting our lives to ours and take care of them accordingly.
I often carry my cz p01, which had to pass many tests including the "Drop test" to become nato aproved, but I still would never risk the 1 in a 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 chance it would go off. Also I goes against everything I've ever been taught. and lastly I like my guns to much to abuse them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
FBMG Smithy said:
If thats the type of people they employ there please don't go back, except to return the light. I try not to bad mouth people but that was increadibly stupid. He could have done the same test with the gun unloaded and then pull the trigger (in a safe direction) to prove that it didn't discharge upon being tossed. The fact that the other guys had that reaction says a lot about them as well.
Agreed. I have no use for stores whose employees think they are too cool to take safety rules extremely seriously.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
The only time I have been there was to take my CFP class. Was going to order a RIA commander from them, but not now. That is totally unsafe and uncool. Now where to order that RIA.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top