Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was at the 'Get Some' range this afternoon with my wife doing some shooting for our wedding anniversary... I know, I know, I have an AWESOME wife. :crown: jk!
Anyways, there was a girl there who she claimed that she works in New York and is doing a story for the BBC that will air in the UK for the 1 year anniversary of Virginia Tech. She said that she took the trip here specifically because Utah is the only state that will allow people to carry to school (is that right?). She said this is very "alien" to the UK and wanted to do the story on it. She asked me a few questions about carrying to school. Although I am no longer in school, I did tell her that yes, I always carry at work, etc and how I absolutely think that if someone had carried in VA Tech, that it could've ended sooner. She also interviewed some of the employees and the part-owner all, of course, with the same attitude about carrying. I don't usually listen to the BBC unless I happen to come across NPR every once in a blue moon. If anyone does listen to it, you'll have to let me know how it turned out. The nice thing was that the girl seemed to be FOR carrying in colleges! :shock: Now let's just see if she portrays that when it airs.

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
Jeff Johnson said:
I believe that Oregon is the only other state that allows carry in colleges & universities.
According to the map on OpenCarry.org (Click on "College Carry"), there are a fair number of states that don't prohibit college carry, but Utah is the only state that specifically authorizes it by law.

·
Registered
342 Posts
From what I've read about the other states is that the universities prohibit carry even though the law allows it.

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
Ty said:
From what I've read about the other states is that the universities prohibit carry even though the law allows it.
Most do. I know there are at least two that don't, Colorado State University and Blue Ridge Community College (in VA). There may be more.

·
Registered
71 Posts
swillden said:
Colorado State University
Ah - yes. CSU. I'm a student there (distance student). I once got an email from the Police:

December 4, 2007
Dear CSU Community:

At approximately 8:30 a.m., the CSU Police Department received a
call of a male carrying a large rifle on the west side of the Clark
Building. The CSUPD responded in less than one minute and did a
cursory search of the building for the male subject. After a
thorough search of the building, it was determined that the male
subject was a History professor that brought the rifle for
demonstration purposes for a civil war class.

As you can imagine, due to the seriousness of the call, CSUPD
officers responded with shotguns and several were wearing plain
clothes.

Again, the situation has been resolved and instructions on how to
bring a rifle for demonstration purposes were given to the subject.

At no time was the Clark Building evacuated. Furthermore, students,
faculty and staff were not in any danger. The building proctor of
the Clark Building will send a notification to building offices to
explain that everything is under control.

Thank you to all of those who called to notify the CSUPD of the
situation. Your alertness, observation and accurate description of
the subject are much appreciated.

Chief D. Yarbrough
CSU Police Department
I laughed at this - but also know of the importance of the correct way to carry any weapon. This could have been a very real emergency, but glad it wasn't anything serious.

Regards,

barl0w

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeff Johnson said:
...Did she show any press credentials?
No, should I have asked for them? That was the first time I've been interviewed before. Didn't really know what to expect really. I don't really care I guess; what I said for her would be the same regardless of the person or situation.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, and I guess I said that because I didn't get any credentials. I guess I was a little worried at first but after I thought about it a little while, I realized that I didn't have anything to worry about because I would've said the same thing even if she WASN'T with the press and I didn't give out my full name. 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts