Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. I went to PMAA range the other day, and shot my 92fs. I got a nice grouping at the closest targets (I think it's about 10 yards?), but it's off center by like an inch and half low and left. Could it be the gun and not me? when I rented a beat up 92fs and impact several weeks ago, I was nailing the center with that pistol... :huh:

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
Most likely, it's you. But look at the sights and make sure they're centered. Trigger and breathing control will fix 90% of shooting issues.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ramiguy said:
What ammo are you shooting?
I've been shooting the wwb 115grain. would the ammo make a difference on side to side poi?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have a similar issue and it's how I am holding the gun when I pull the trigger. Somewhere on this site is a pic that determines what is happening when you pull the trigger (sorry I don't have the link.) I am fine if I use my whole finger but the big shooting guys say you should just you the end of your finger and when I do it, I shoot low and to the left.

I was at the range Sunday morning and it was pretty busy. Bought a membership for $100 so I better use it this summer.

ian

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's just odd to me that my brand new gun would do that, while the old beat up rental one was so accurate. I'm thinking it's not a break in issue either, since I ran about 500+ rounds through it and the prob was same at the end as it was in the beginning. I've been seriously considering an adjustable sight for it, but there isn't very attractive options for those, unfortunately.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ian husford said:
I have a similar issue and it's how I am holding the gun when I pull the trigger. Somewhere on this site is a pic that determines what is happening when you pull the trigger (sorry I don't have the link.) I am fine if I use my whole finger but the big shooting guys say you should just you the end of your finger and when I do it, I shoot low and to the left.

I was at the range Sunday morning and it was pretty busy. Bought a membership for $100 so I better use it this summer.

ian
Were you at PMAA? You weren't the guy with the G26, were you?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
It could be the ammo, each weapon is different and has likes and dislikes in ammo. But I would say it is trigger control. Get some dummy rounds and pratice squeezing the trigger and sight control.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been doing the dummy round mix drill where i randomly mix in snap caps with live rounds and shoot as if they were all live rounds, and it has been helping me shoot immensely, but I still get the tight grouping the left and low. What really puzzles me is that if it's me at fault here, I should be doing that with the other 92fs i rented, but with that gun, the shots were well centered. :huh:

G

·
Who cares? You shoot good groups; that is what is important. If you are far enough off center that it troubles you adjust the sights or compensate with your aim.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Aedrick said:
Hi, all. I went to PMAA range the other day, and shot my 92fs. I got a nice grouping at the closest targets (I think it's about 10 yards?), but it's off center by like an inch and half low and left. Could it be the gun and not me? when I rented a beat up 92fs and impact several weeks ago, I was nailing the center with that pistol... :huh:
Sounds like you are anticipating the recoil and pushing your trigger.

Tarzan

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Aedrick said:
No, I had a KelTec P32, an SA XD9SC, and a .357 revolver. I was on the second station from the left and I guess I scared the guy to my right away because he left shortly after I started shooting.

ian

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ian husford said:
Aedrick said:
No, I had a KelTec P32, an SA XD9SC, and a .357 revolver. I was on the second station from the left and I guess I scared the guy to my right away because he left shortly after I started shooting.

ian
Second station from the left.. isn't that like 50 yard or 100 yard lane? You were shooting that far with a pistol? :shock:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Aedrick said:
Second station from the left.. isn't that like 50 yard or 100 yard lane? You were shooting that far with a pistol? :shock:
There are four 10-yard pistol targets at the north end of the public range and I was on those so it was the third station from the north end..

The first time I went up there with my XD I did try the 25-yard and I still did a good group but it seems like I am getting worse right now. :(

ian

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah ok, I thought you meant from left as in the far left with all the rifles... the weather looks great this weekend, I'm gonna have to go up there again, although if I'm not mistaken, the rangemaster is supposed to go on some vacation some time soon.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i tend to shoot low and to the left too, and that's with wwb ammo in my mill pro, i'm pretty sure i'm flinching because last weekend i went to shoot my 30-30 and picked up a box of 170 grains after i had been use to shooting 150 grains and after i shot 5, i picked up my .22 rifle and was actually leaning forward in anticipation for each shot because of the kick on the 30-30...

but i at least grouped real well still inside the black...maybe i should get some of them snap caps and practice with those too.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Snap caps in a rifle help. I mainly use them in my M1917, but also in my 700. Helps with trigger control and sight picture. I use 5 in 30-06 this way I get bolt practice mainly with the M1917.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts