Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CW45 and was curious if anyone know whether or not I can interchange components from a P45. The P45 has a better barrel and I get get one for just over $100. Then again I could just sell the CW45 to my buddy and spend an additional $250 and get the P45. Decisions decisions.
 
G

·
Depends on the part, internal slide parts share the same numbers, mag catches ect
Sights, slides, barrels, no

Key differences; slide, barrel, sights, and slide release
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,750 Posts
reid36 said:
I have a CW45 and was curious if anyone know whether or not I can interchange components from a P45. The P45 has a better barrel and I get get one for just over $100. Then again I could just sell the CW45 to my buddy and spend an additional $250 and get the P45. Decisions decisions.
I doubt the barrel would make much difference in that small of a gun.
 
G

·
MarshallDodge said:
reid36 said:
I have a CW45 and was curious if anyone know whether or not I can interchange components from a P45. The P45 has a better barrel and I get get one for just over $100. Then again I could just sell the CW45 to my buddy and spend an additional $250 and get the P45. Decisions decisions.
I doubt the barrel would make much difference in that small of a gun.
I have sold shot handles both the only reason to to step up to the P Series is night sights. If I where to buy a kahr today I would not be able to convince myself to buy anything but a CW or micro.

P.S. I am this sites designated Kahr fanatic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hedonistic said:
MarshallDodge said:
reid36 said:
I have a CW45 and was curious if anyone know whether or not I can interchange components from a P45. The P45 has a better barrel and I get get one for just over $100. Then again I could just sell the CW45 to my buddy and spend an additional $250 and get the P45. Decisions decisions.
I doubt the barrel would make much difference in that small of a gun.
I have sold shot handles both the only reason to to step up to the P Series is night sights. If I where to buy a kahr today I would not be able to convince myself to buy anything but a CW or micro.

P.S. I am this sites designated Kahr fanatic.
The sight options and the barrel are the only things that really attract me to the "P" seris. I would like to have the option of night sights (or changing sights) and the polygonal rifling of the "P" series barrel gives "better velocities" (I understand the physics but have yet to see chrono results). I couldnt care less how the slide stop was made or how many markings are on the slide.
 
G

·
reid36 said:
The sight options and the barrel are the only things that really attract me to the "P" seris. I would like to have the option of night sights (or changing sights) and the polygonal rifling of the "P" series barrel gives "better velocities" (I understand the physics but have yet to see chrono results). I couldnt care less how the slide stop was made or how many markings are on the slide.
I believe (though can not offer factual support) the difference in velocities are moot. There are "fast" and "slow" barrels, in between a slow polygonal and fast conventional there is probably plenty of over lap.

If the sights are that important to you pay alot for them. I'd recommend Counter Terrorism Institutes low light shooting class or similar to introduce you to low light shooting and tactics.

I had hoped that after market sights for the cw series would have come to market by now. I bought my first P series in 2001 when it was the only option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hedonistic said:
reid36 said:
The sight options and the barrel are the only things that really attract me to the "P" seris. I would like to have the option of night sights (or changing sights) and the polygonal rifling of the "P" series barrel gives "better velocities" (I understand the physics but have yet to see chrono results). I couldnt care less how the slide stop was made or how many markings are on the slide.
I believe (though can not offer factual support) the difference in velocities are moot. There are "fast" and "slow" barrels, in between a slow polygonal and fast conventional there is probably plenty of over lap.
If the sights are that important to you pay alot for them. I'd recommend Counter Terrorism Institutes low light shooting class or similar to introduce you to low light shooting and tactics.

I had hoped that after market sights for the cw series would have come to market by now. I bought my first P series in 2001 when it was the only option.
I've never heard of this before. Can anyone point me to some info on this. I must know everything!! :swat: :lolbang: Seriously though it drives me nuts when I have no idea what someone is talking about :oops:

:thijack: its OK ti hijack when its your thread right?
 
G

·
Your thread is your thread. Some times wen a question like this pops up I link it to a new thread where it may get more attention and info and, I think this is one of those times http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2705

Basically differences in tolerances tooling and how well a barrel is finished (inside) there is a difference in velocity. Especially where reloading is concerned. I' have seen nearly identical guns where one loads max is nearly 200fps greater than the other guns max load with same cases, projectile, primer, and powder (rifles.) Differences with pistols and factory loaded ammunition is far less.
 
G

·
reid36 said:
I've never heard of this before. Can anyone point me to some info on this. I must know everything!! :swat: :lolbang: Seriously though it drives me nuts when I have no idea what someone is talking about :oops:
When ever I meet a man who knows it all I like to tell him what he is full of.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,750 Posts
hedonistic said:
Basically differences in tolerances tooling and how well a barrel is finished (inside) there is a difference in velocity. Especially where reloading is concerned. I' have seen nearly identical guns where one loads max is nearly 200fps greater than the other guns max load with same cases, projectile, primer, and powder (rifles.) Differences with pistols and factory loaded ammunition is far less.
Just to clarify, have you seen 200 FPS differences in handgun barrels? I would think it would be less than 50 FPS in a short handgun barrel.
 
G

·
You will see greater differences in longer barrels and the higher pressure loads and negligible diference in guns such as a .38 snubby (given the same cylinder gap.) Even 50 Fps may be extreme for the Kahrs I'd speculate an extreme closer to 30 Fps which with hotter ammunition in testing would take large data sample to draw a realistic conclusion given the extreme spread of the ammo. I am reasoning (again through speculation and assumptions) that that the difference between polygonal and conventional is so moot it would take a serious academic study to even calculate what if any real benefit one barrel would have over the other.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,750 Posts
hedonistic said:
You will see greater differences in longer barrels and the higher pressure loads and negligible diference in guns such as a .38 snubby (given the same cylinder gap.) Even 50 Fps may be extreme for the Kahrs I'd speculate an extreme closer to 30 Fps which with hotter ammunition in testing would take large data sample to draw a realistic conclusion given the extreme spread of the ammo. I am reasoning (again through speculation and assumptions) that that the difference between polygonal and conventional is so moot it would take a serious academic study to even calculate what if any real benefit one barrel would have over the other.
:agree:

The other issue with polygonal is when you are shooting lead bullets you may have leading issues.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top