Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did I do OK? I found a used one (pictures will come soon) for $750 and comes with 3 magazines, case, manual, etc. I've been wanting a 1911 for years and when I saw that the price was about $435 under MSRP or $300 under the street price for a Kimber I bought it quickly. Unfortunately I didn't shoot it first. It was an impulse buy for sure - I can't deny it! :disgusted: :oops: I really like the night sights, machined trigger, and the feel of this gun. I do wish it had rubber grips instead of the walnut but I can purchase them later if I really can't stand it. I'm not planning on using it as my primary carry gun but mainly for shooting enjoyment or "other duties as assigned".

Here is the gun: http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/tactical/tactical_custom_II/

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Nice acquisition Knayrb! Sounds like a great deal. I am not sure how you have been able to avoid the range this long. I envy your endurance.

I have some black rubber grips from my Kimber TLE II, almost never used, as I prefer wood. Let me know if you want to work something out.

Enjoy and shoot safe!~

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Depending on condition it sounds like you got a good deal. I have always liked the look of the Tactical models. The nice part is that they have an alloy frame making it lighter for carrying.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
You got a good deal on that Kimber. Take it out put about 500 rounds through it. If no FTF or FTE why not make it one of your carry weapons.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ohhhh, so that was YOU! I saw that gun the night before, but I was hesitant because of the external extractor. So, I slept on it, and decided I wanted it anyway, so I went to the store and the guys there told me it was gone about 30 min ago!!! I was like, OH NO! LOL.... I ended up ordering the grand raptor.

Hope you enjoy the tactical! I really like the two-tone look, the new ones don't seem to have that gray frame.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good thing I was impulsive I guess. Sorry about that (but not too much though) :crown:

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
You should follow impulses that good more often. I picked up my Kimber Classic Custom in '01 before the Kimber IIs and I'm glad I did since the prices have skyrocketed since then. You paid just $20 more for yours than I paid for mine including tax. Mine came with black rubber and walnut grips but I never use the rubber anymore, the walnut just looks too sweet! I also like the way the night sights stare up at me in the darkness; it gives me a nice warm feeling to know they are there waiting for a low light encounter. I have fired it without any artificial illumination, aka under the stars/moon only. Once you shoot it you will fall in love like the rest of us and will likely carry it often.

This just leaves one question unanswered, who's the fool who sold a Kimber?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK I really like it. I took my friend, B-I-L, his 3 boys, and my son (7 of us) out in the west desert for a day of blowing through $300+ of ammo. Our guns included a S&W 642 .38 +P special, S&W 686 7-shot .357, Ruger Blackhawk 12" .44 mag, S&W PC 460 12", Sterling Arms 380 Mark II (jamb-o-matic), S&W .22LR 6-shooter, Mag Research 45/.410, 12 ga pump, Browning 12 ga over/under, 30-06 bolt action, .54 cal muzzle loader, Winchester 62A .22LR pump, Ruger .22LR 10/20, and the new Kimber .45 ACP. The Kimber was the hit of the event. We blew threw 300 rounds with zero problems. Sure was strange that we saw no wild life in the area. Go figure.

Since this is my first real serious semi-auto I do have an observation. I'm pretty much a revolver guy. I don't know a ton about physics but it does interest me. If the .45 ACP round (or any other semi-auto) has to expend some of it's energy in recoiling the slide with it's spring resistance doesn't it seem logical that not as much energy is being transferred to the bullet? My S&W .357 revolver sure seems more powerful than the Kimber .45 ACP. Maybe it's not. I was shooting 158gr rounds from the .357 and 230gr rounds from the .45 ACP. All the energy in the .357 is transferred to the bullet except the normal recoil. In the semi-auto it has to "waste" energy recoiling the slide. The .357 weighs in at 43 oz and the .45 ACP at 31 oz. The .45 auto has almost twice the energy rating for the same round as the .357 and because it shot out of a lighter gun you would think it would have kicked harder - it didn't seem to.

Anyhow, I really like the Kimber and I'm glad I got it. As I become more comfortable with a semi-autos over a simplistic revolver I might even put it into active service. Shooting yesterday, golf today, and fishing tomorrow. What a great weekend! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Even with some energy being used to cycle, semi-autos are more efficient than revolvers because they do not lose pressure out of the gap between cylinder and barrel like your revolvers.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think the slide cycling and felt recoil is actually coming from the reciprocal force generated from firing the bullet ie third law of Newton's laws of motion. You know, like if you sit on a wheeled chair and you throw a heavy object across the room, you will slide the opposite direction. That's probably the majority of the force used for slide cycle, although the gun isn't perfect for retaining all gas expansion in the barrel.

As far as 357 mag versus 45, I think 357 is a lot more powerful, mainly because the velocity of the bullet is so much faster than that of 45. So, even though the mass of the bullet is lighter for 357, if you calculate the momentum ( =mass x velocity) or the kinetic energy (=1/2 x mass x velocity^2), you probably get more out of the 357 mag because of the greater velocity.

I'm happy to hear that the gun is running well for you. If you ever want to sell it, you know where to look. :D

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm happy to hear that the gun is running well for you. If you ever want to sell it, you know where to look. :D
Well maybe someday, Aedrick. I'm now more comfortable with a semi-auto after using it. I put it in service protecting the lower level of my home if needed. Now I just need a good AR-15 carbine to compliment my collection. I've kind of stayed away because it's been hard to find 223 ammo. Lately at the major suppliers they have been getting more in. Hopefully this fall.

·
Registered
342 Posts
knayrb said:
Since this is my first real serious semi-auto I do have an observation. I'm pretty much a revolver guy. I don't know a ton about physics but it does interest me. If the .45 ACP round (or any other semi-auto) has to expend some of it's energy in recoiling the slide with it's spring resistance doesn't it seem logical that not as much energy is being transferred to the bullet? My S&W .357 revolver sure seems more powerful than the Kimber .45 ACP. Maybe it's not. I was shooting 158gr rounds from the .357 and 230gr rounds from the .45 ACP. All the energy in the .357 is transferred to the bullet except the normal recoil. In the semi-auto it has to "waste" energy recoiling the slide. The .357 weighs in at 43 oz and the .45 ACP at 31 oz. The .45 auto has almost twice the energy rating for the same round as the .357 and because it shot out of a lighter gun you would think it would have kicked harder - it didn't seem to.
I thought a bit about this and I think that the revolver loses a lot of energy with some of the gases blowing out through the gap between the cylinder and the barrel after the bullet has entered the barrel. I know these are pretty strong gases as I've seen people with the end of their thumbs blown off. I think that could be part of the reason for the felt recoil difference. As well as the general shape of the revolver. The bullet is firing higher up and putting more leverage on the hand than an auto that fires almost in line with the hand. Just some of my thoughts on the subject. No real proof behind them just thinkin thoughts. :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts