Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is also for the guys that have info on what the women in their life like.

I have 2 daughters, 27 and 29 years old. They have aquired their own guns, one has a LLama in .380 and the other bought herself a Highpoint 9mm. I would like to take them to Front Sight for the defensive handgun course and would like to get them something in at least a 9mm or larger, and a higher quality of gun, like the XD, Sig, Glock, etc.

The 27 year old is 5'5" and the 29 year old is 5'2".

So my question is what do some of the women who carry shoot and why do you like what you have? I will try to find some that they can try out first.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Walther said:
This is also for the guys that have info on what the women in their life like.

I have 2 daughters, 27 and 29 years old. They have aquired their own guns, one has a LLama in .380 and the other bought herself a Highpoint 9mm. I would like to take them to Front Sight for the defensive handgun course and would like to get them something in at least a 9mm or larger, and a higher quality of gun, like the XD, Sig, Glock, etc.

The 27 year old is 5'5" and the 29 year old is 5'2".

So my question is what do some of the women who carry shoot and why do you like what you have? I will try to find some that they can try out first.
Wife likes the S&W 38 and G26

·
Super Moderator
1,553 Posts
My wife likes the .38 for the range, but I load her some HOT .357's for home defense. :twisted: She likes those as well because of the huge Hogue grips. Makes it easier to shoot with that little 3" barrel.

Oh, and she's 5'6".

·
Registered
125 Posts
A lot of women do feel comfortable shooting revolvers as mentioned.....but not a good idea for front sight. Just the round count alone would make those choices miserable. I would suggest the XD as it has a more natural grip angle than the Glock, but comfort would be the decision maker for me. I would let them each put their hands on the two firearms and pick the one that feels the most comfortable. Any discomfort at all will be greatly amplified by the amount of shooting they will do during the course. B

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, they will be shooting semi's since they already own that type. I will let them shoot my P99 and see if .40 cal is too much or ok when shooting alot. I also have a P10 in .45 but I know that will be too much for a Front Sight class for them. I think I will pick up an XD in 9mm. I really wanted a XD when I bought the P99 so this will give me an excuse to get one.

Do you think the sub compact or the full size would be better? I will take them with me to handle the different guns.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
full size is better to shoot, compact is better to carry.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
tapehoser said:
My wife likes the .38 for the range, but........357's for home defense..................
That is what my wife shoots too. She is 5' 10" and 140.

Tarzan

·
Registered
125 Posts
Walther said:
Thanks for the replies, they will be shooting semi's since they already own that type. I will let them shoot my P99 and see if .40 cal is too much or ok when shooting alot. I also have a P10 in .45 but I know that will be too much for a Front Sight class for them. I think I will pick up an XD in 9mm. I really wanted a XD when I bought the P99 so this will give me an excuse to get one.

Do you think the sub compact or the full size would be better? I will take them with me to handle the different guns.
I would definately go with the 4" model of the XD. As mentioned, it will be better to shoot, and actually very easily concealed even on smaller framed people with the right holsters. B

·
Registered
248 Posts
My wife just picked-up a Kahr 9mm at the gun show this weekend. She really likes the the size & weight but especially the way it fits her hand.

I got her a box of Win. white box to start breaking it in and a box of 147gr Ranger SXT's for carry.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all, I will have to check out the Kahr along with the XD, I have not shot a Kahr myself as of yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.