Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,129 Posts
I have a LaserMax in a Glock 19. I regularly use it in my CFP class when I first hand around a semi-auto. I explain how to safely hand a firearm (and remove magazine, and check barrel) and then I turn on the laser before I hand it to the first person. I often get the "wow, cool!" reaction then, but the real fun is that EVERYBODY can see exactly where the muzzle is really pointing. The point immediately gets across about pointing the muzzle in a safe direction. The blinking of the laser makes the dot jump out.

I've also used the laser at the range and it works fine. Seems to aim as well or better than I do. The extra heavy spring under the slide take-down lever does make it just a tad more difficult to take the slide off, but it isn't an issue.

It is nice that you don't need a different holster to use a LaserMax. I do have one Kydex holster that seems to think it is funny to turn on the laser whenever I draw the gun. Maybe that is a "feature".

I have been pleasantly surprised that I haven't had to change the batteries yet. I've used it in classes for nearly two years and I figured I was going to have to change batteries yearly. Your mileage may vary.

A laser gives you another option, and there are times when that option could come in handy. Just be sure not to become dependant on the laser for aiming since batteries can run out, electronics can fail, and bright light can make it hard to see the dot.

- Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
613 Posts
XD Dude said:
does anyone in Utah have one for a 4" XD45 ACP can't seem to find one in stock.
Maybe not a laser max, but I think Crimson Trace has one, or soon to come out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UtahCFP said:
I have a LaserMax in a Glock 19. I regularly use it in my CFP class when I first hand around a semi-auto. I explain how to safely hand a firearm (and remove magazine, and check barrel) and then I turn on the laser before I hand it to the first person. I often get the "wow, cool!" reaction then, but the real fun is that EVERYBODY can see exactly where the muzzle is really pointing. The point immediately gets across about pointing the muzzle in a safe direction. The blinking of the laser makes the dot jump out.

I've also used the laser at the range and it works fine. Seems to aim as well or better than I do. The extra heavy spring under the slide take-down lever does make it just a tad more difficult to take the slide off, but it isn't an issue.

It is nice that you don't need a different holster to use a LaserMax. I do have one Kydex holster that seems to think it is funny to turn on the laser whenever I draw the gun. Maybe that is a "feature".

I have been pleasantly surprised that I haven't had to change the batteries yet. I've used it in classes for nearly two years and I figured I was going to have to change batteries yearly. Your mileage may vary.

A laser gives you another option, and there are times when that option could come in handy. Just be sure not to become dependant on the laser for aiming since batteries can run out, electronics can fail, and bright light can make it hard to see the dot.

- Dave
Does Laser Max affect recoil, shot placement, ejection, etc? After all, it does replace the recoil spring in the gun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,129 Posts
XD_EE said:
UtahCFP said:
I have a LaserMax in a Glock 19. I regularly use it in my CFP class when I first hand around a semi-auto. I explain how to safely hand a firearm (and remove magazine, and check barrel) and then I turn on the laser before I hand it to the first person. I often get the "wow, cool!" reaction then, but the real fun is that EVERYBODY can see exactly where the muzzle is really pointing. The point immediately gets across about pointing the muzzle in a safe direction. The blinking of the laser makes the dot jump out.

I've also used the laser at the range and it works fine. Seems to aim as well or better than I do. The extra heavy spring under the slide take-down lever does make it just a tad more difficult to take the slide off, but it isn't an issue.

It is nice that you don't need a different holster to use a LaserMax. I do have one Kydex holster that seems to think it is funny to turn on the laser whenever I draw the gun. Maybe that is a "feature".

I have been pleasantly surprised that I haven't had to change the batteries yet. I've used it in classes for nearly two years and I figured I was going to have to change batteries yearly. Your mileage may vary.

A laser gives you another option, and there are times when that option could come in handy. Just be sure not to become dependant on the laser for aiming since batteries can run out, electronics can fail, and bright light can make it hard to see the dot.

- Dave
Does Laser Max affect recoil, shot placement, ejection, etc? After all, it does replace the recoil spring in the gun.
Doesn't seem to change a thing with regard to my shooting. 'Course, that may a statement more about the operator than the tool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the laser max will be in my future (... time to start budgeting...). I think I like this idea better than replacing my sights for night sights. I wouldn't depend on the laser unless I couldn't see my sights - then it would be dark enough to see the laser.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
XD_EE said:
I don't know about in Utah, but there are plenty of online stores. Here is one that I found for a really decent price. I haven't ever purchased from here though. I just found it on google.

http://www.shooterssupply.com/html/spri ... aser_.html
I spoke with someone at Shooter's Supply and they said that Lasermax is having problems with some manufacturing and keeping up with demand. They haven't had them in for about a month and it's unknown when they will.

I may have to cancel my order there and go with an external one. :sad:

ian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
There must be a [higher being]. I had already placed my order for one when I was told of the problems and delays. Lo and behold, I got an email from them saying the unit shipped today. It's coming from Daytona Beach, FL so it will be at least a week.

ian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
I got the Lasermax Uni-max-G GREEN laser 2 weeks ago. It fits all my weapons with any rail. I have used it during the day and inside a range. It is amazing how well you can see that dot even in sunlight.I would recommend it highly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nate42nd said:
I got the Lasermax Uni-max-G GREEN laser 2 weeks ago. It fits all my weapons with any rail. I have used it during the day and inside a range. It is amazing how well you can see that dot even in sunlight.I would recommend it highly.
Do you have a holster that this fits in? This is the main reason I was looking at the type that is located in the guide rod.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
Where is the switch for the Lasermax? Do you have to 'remember' to turn it on? What are the odds in an emergency that you WILL remember to turn it on?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
Nicksp said:
Where is the switch for the Lasermax? Do you have to 'remember' to turn it on? What are the odds in an emergency that you WILL remember to turn it on?
The switch for my LaserMax on my XD is centered in the pin that you lift when you want to remove the slide and barrel. It is an ambidextrous switch. It lies right under my right index finger when my finger is resting along side the pistol before I place it on the trigger to shoot. But then my LaserMax replaces the return guide and springs so it isn't an external device.

There are pictures of it on the Lasermax website. http://www.lasermax.com/product.php?id=96

ian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
I guess I should have worded my comment differently. My questions about the Lasermax switch were intended to be rhetorical. The Lasermax has an advantage over the Crimson Trace in that it's mounted inside the gun and doesn't change the outside shape. However, in my opinion, the Lasermax switch is a disadvantage compared to the Crimson Trace. The Lasermax switch requires a concious decision and motion to activate. The Crimson Trace requires no concious decision or motion to activate. The Lasermax switch is also subject to contamination that may result in the laser not activating.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top