Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any recent contact with Matt from MagHolder.com?

I sent him an e-mail asking about whether he could make a couple of magazine holders for me - first time was early January; second inquiry was January 23rd or 24th - and I've yet to get an acknowledgement or response.

Has anyone heard of any problems with Matt? Anyone else had any contact recently?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Not recently but you can by his stuff at many of the local gun shops across the valley. I think I bought mine from Discount or Get Some. They have them at both. They are not something he makes on the spot they are manufacturered from a molded plastic not formed by hand with Kydex.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which "Valley" would you be referring to?

Unfortunately, for those of us in Florida, the drive is a bit prohibitive.

My wife and I are going to be in Las Vegas visiting our kids in mid-February and plan to do quite a bit of looking around in Southern Utah and Northern Arizona for a potential relocation to that area. Don't know how much time we'll have for shopping for goodies - may have to make the time.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
I just ordered a Glock mag holder from them. Seemed to work pretty easily. :D

What mags are you wanting to get a holder made for? I'm guessing for one that he doesn't have on his website.

Sent from iSnurd

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's the question I posed - and I was hoping for an answer, before just going ahead and ordered on the website.

"I think I will need to order one 'L' hand holder and one 'R' hand holder - but, let me explain my needs and you can correct me if I'm not looking at this correctly.

My EDC is a Glock G-26, but my magazines are a mixture of the 12-rnd G-26 mags (w/the +2 baseplate) and 15-rnd G-19 mags (w/the grip extenders to fit the G-26). So the mag length embedded in the mag holder would be the same in either case.

I shoot right-handed and plan to carry one mag on the off side (left) in the 10-11 o'clock position. I want it to open to the front, with bullets down, to be drawn toward the front, with the left hand in a 'reverse grip.' The other mag would be worn strong side (right) in a 1-2 o'clock position, open toward the front, with bullets down, to be drawn toward the front, with the left hand, in a cross-draw motion.

I believe that would be accomplished with a 'R' mag holder, worn on the left side; and an 'L' mag holder worn on the right side. Do I visualize that correctly?"

Perhaps someone on the forum that has one of these holders can tell me if they will work as I think they will -
As long as my explanation is clear enough to allow visualization of how I hope to use them?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
collegeboy said:
Here's the question I posed - and I was hoping for an answer, before just going ahead and ordered on the website.

"I think I will need to order one 'L' hand holder and one 'R' hand holder - but, let me explain my needs and you can correct me if I'm not looking at this correctly.

My EDC is a Glock G-26, but my magazines are a mixture of the 12-rnd G-26 mags (w/the +2 baseplate) and 15-rnd G-19 mags (w/the grip extenders to fit the G-26). So the mag length embedded in the mag holder would be the same in either case.

I shoot right-handed and plan to carry one mag on the off side (left) in the 10-11 o'clock position. I want it to open to the front, with bullets down, to be drawn toward the front, with the left hand in a 'reverse grip.' The other mag would be worn strong side (right) in a 1-2 o'clock position, open toward the front, with bullets down, to be drawn toward the front, with the left hand, in a cross-draw motion.

I believe that would be accomplished with a 'R' mag holder, worn on the left side; and an 'L' mag holder worn on the right side. Do I visualize that correctly?"

Perhaps someone on the forum that has one of these holders can tell me if they will work as I think they will -
As long as my explanation is clear enough to allow visualization of how I hope to use them?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
It sounds like you need one L and one R. I ordered an L because that if my off hand. I have watched videos on this holster before ordering. If you buy an L holster, it it designed to be on your left, and the mag is removed from the back of the holster. The videos have also said that they haven't had issues either with bullets up or down.

I have one ordered, and I can confirm that after it gets here, at least with the Glock model. I'm not sure how long it will take to arrive.

You would need the R to be on your left side, and the L to be on your right, if I am reading your post correctly.

Sent from iSnurd

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Snurd said:
collegeboy said:
It sounds like you need one L and one R. I ordered an L because that if my off hand. I have watched videos on this holster before ordering. If you buy an L holster, it it designed to be on your left, and the mag is removed from the back of the holster. The videos have also said that they haven't had issues either with bullets up or down.

I have one ordered, and I can confirm that after it gets here, at least with the Glock model. I'm not sure how long it will take to arrive.

You would need the R to be on your left side, and the L to be on your right, if I am reading your post correctly.

Sent from iSnurd
You read my post correctly, Sir! . . . . and . . . . your comment (Bolded) confirms that I was reading the literature I found available, correctly also.

If I wish to draw from the front of the magholder, when it is on my left side, I would need to carry the 'R' holder on that side.
My reference to a "Reverse draw" with the left hand would be comparable to a 'Cavalry draw' of a fixed blade on the left side, with the left hand (if that helps with the visualization any?).

My reason for wanting that set up, is that I feel drawing towards the rear, and then having to change direction and move your hand forward again, is a waste of motion and slows the draw of the magazine. At 71 any additional wasted motion, to slow my hand speed, is not desireable.
Think about the motions necessary to:
drop an expended mag,
keep your weapon up and pointed at the threat,
tilt your weapon slightly to the right to line up with the new magazine,
grasp the reload mag with a 'reverse grip',
pull it forward out of the mag holder (with your index finger aligned along the bottom/forward edge of the mag),
flip your wrist to point the mag at the mag well, and
drive the mag up into the mag well.

In written form, it may seem to be a lot of individual movements; but, thinking about them and going through the motions, there is no wasted motion in that reload movement.
Similarly, a reload from the other mag holder (an 'L' holder) worn on the right side, also drawn from the front, with bullets down, gripped with the index finger aligned along the bottom/front edge of the mag, in a 'cross-draw' motion, pulling the mag from the holder and flipping your wrist up will align the new mag with the mag well of the firearm, without any wasted motion.

Wasted motion is wasted time. Wasted time is dangerous.

I appreciate your response iSnurd; I now feel reasonably certain that I am looking at things correctly; and, I may just order the magholders without waiting for a response from Matt(?)

Thank you.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
His website says he will respond quickly. Obviously that isn't the case with you. It's possible he is swamped with emails, but who knows. Maybe his email went down. Maybe he got tired of emails. :dunno:

I'll most likely write a review of the one I'm getting after it comes and I have a chance to try it out. They look to be pretty decent, so hopefully I like it.

Sent from iSnurd

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The reviews I've found from guys that have used theirs for awhile seem to be satisfied with them. Only negative I remember reading was from one who said he wished he could adjust the retention. I would have liked that too; but, from what I can see from the videos I've found, it would require a whole different manufacturing process - hence, a diferent price point.

For the cost of a couple mag holders, I think I'll just go ahead and order them. I haven't seen anything else that is horizontal and appears to be as 'low-profile'.

I'll be interested in your review when you get a chance.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
collegeboy said:
The reviews I've found from guys that have used theirs for awhile seem to be satisfied with them. Only negative I remember reading was from one who said he wished he could adjust the retention. I would have liked that too; but, from what I can see from the videos I've found, it would require a whole different manufacturing process - hence, a diferent price point.

For the cost of a couple mag holders, I think I'll just go ahead and order them. I haven't seen anything else that is horizontal and appears to be as 'low-profile'.

I'll be interested in your review when you get a chance.
I recently received a notification that the item was shipped. I'm sure that means that just a label was created, but it will probably come in the next few days. I'm not sure if I will do first look review, then add to it when I have tested it for a while, or wait for the whole review. I'll get something up though. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
So i think I have mine setup they way you are wanting to but only use one. I can remember which bought I have to go home and look at the packaging but wear on the left side and I draw forward. This does not provide ideal indexing but I also think that it is faster than jerking back then having to come forward. The indexing can be dealt with by practicing a lot. I carry a regular 10 round with grip extension in my G26 but the one on my belt is a 17 round. I did figure that if i decided to carry 2 that i would get one that faces the other way so one i would draw forward and the other back. Once upon a time I suggested via email he make a dual horizontal and he said that was actually in development.

As for retention. The Glock ones use an indented tab that catches the mag release indent on the magazine so you just insert it until it clicks. there is nothing to adjust the tension and no real need to. I have use mine for ever a year and never had it fall out. Just make sure it clicks in. Removing is fairly easy as well. I did take some emery cloth to a lot of the edges of mine as they seemed to be kind of sharp in some places just out of the mold.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
D-FIN said:
So i think I have mine setup they way you are wanting to but only use one. I can remember which bought I have to go home and look at the packaging but wear on the left side and I draw forward. This does not provide ideal indexing but I also think that it is faster than jerking back then having to come forward. The indexing can be dealt with by practicing a lot. I carry a regular 10 round with grip extension in my G26 but the one on my belt is a 17 round. I did figure that if i decided to carry 2 that i would get one that faces the other way so one i would draw forward and the other back. Once upon a time I suggested via email he make a dual horizontal and he said that was actually in development.

As for retention. The Glock ones use an indented tab that catches the mag release indent on the magazine so you just insert it until it clicks. there is nothing to adjust the tension and no real need to. I have use mine for ever a year and never had it fall out. Just make sure it clicks in. Removing is fairly easy as well. I did take some emery cloth to a lot of the edges of mine as they seemed to be kind of sharp in some places just out of the mold.
Thanks D-Fin -

Sounds like we're thinking the same on drawing the spare mag with a change in direction on the drawstroke!

When you reach for the mag with the left hand, is your thumb on top and your index finger along the bottom of the magholder, so the mag comes out with your index finger 'indexed' along the front of the mag? That's what I'm hoping to achieve.
If you could confirm (after you've had a chance to check) whether the mag holder you have is the 'L' or the 'R' that would help confirm I'm ordering the right thing. Thanks.

I carry with a +2 mag in the G-26, and will have either - another of the same or a G-19 mag - in mag holder.

Thanks for the input on retention. I was slightly concerned when I read the one reviewer mention that his loosened up slightly after use.
I think I remember you mentioning in a previous thread that you had 'softened' some sharp edges. Sounds easy enough to 'fluff and buff' those problems away. At one time or another, I've 'dremeled' the edges on almost all kydex gear we have - just to make them as comfortable as possible.

Both D-Fin and iSnurd -

Can you comment (when you get yours iSnurd) on the security of the 'clip'/'fastening' of the holder on the belt? It seems I remember it being 'textured' to grip the inside of the waistband or inside of the belt; and made of the same material the holder itself is made of? Seem to be a good sturdy, secure grip?

Thank you, Gentlemen.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
So mine is the right handed model ut wear it on the left side mag but forward. I grab with my thumb on top and index on bottom and rotate my wrist forward as I pull it out so the bullets are facing forward and down/out. This does not let me fully index my finger clear up on the first bullet but with practice I can still ace the mag on target easily.

The only time I have had any issues with the mag holder not staying on my belt is if I actually catch it on the door getting out of my wife's car. This has only happened a couple times and I am a big guy and I have hard time getting in and out of her drivers door. When this has happened it has been a pretty hard tug and does not always pull it off. It is also avoidable if I pay attention. I suspect you could actually wear it somewhat effectively even upside down on your belt without it coming off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.