Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm having some failure to feed/failure to eject issues with my old Marlin Model 60. I recently put a new stock on it, and I have yet to do a full tear-down and clean, so I haven't really isolated the problem, but has anyone else here had any similar issues with the same or a similar weapon? I have been shooting cheap federals (Walmart bulk box) and some CCI Minimags out of it.

My attack plan is: 1) tear down and thoroughly clean the gun; if this fails to fix the problem, then 2) put the old stock back on; if this fails to fix the problem, then 3) get a new spring for the tube magazine.

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help!

--Geoff

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Suggestions, yeah, sure.

Do all the stuff that doesn't involve buying anything. If that doesn't work, take it down to FBMG and have Joe look at it. He's a great gunsmith and will do you right. Here's his info:

Joe Chetwood, Gunsmith (FBMG Smithy)
FBMG
13200 South 48 East
Draper, Utah 84020
801-571-1160

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Did it start happening right after putting the new stock on?

Definitely clean it to the point you could eat a steak off it.

I had ejection problems on a 10/22 ruger and replaced the extractor. Maybe that is a worn part on your marlin?

Since the tube spring is responsible for getting the next round in, i would say replace it if your gun is old... BUT if it is stove piping then look at your extractor and ejector.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
xRapidDavex said:
Pretty much. I installed the stock, then took it into the range to sight it in, and after one full mag of CCIs, it started stovepiping. I cleaned it pretty well without tearing it apart and took it out again. It shot through a full mag of federals, then started stovepiping again. I'll have to look at the ejector and extractor...the magazine spring seems to be working pretty well.

--Geoff

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
burninator said:
xRapidDavex said:
Pretty much. I installed the stock, then took it into the range to sight it in, and after one full mag of CCIs, it started stovepiping. I cleaned it pretty well without tearing it apart and took it out again. It shot through a full mag of federals, then started stovepiping again. I'll have to look at the ejector and extractor...the magazine spring seems to be working pretty well.

--Geoff
Like was mentioned, clean it enough to eat off it. Especially the chamber. Check the extractor for spring strength and the ejector for wear. I don't know of anything that a new stock would do to cause these failures but still possible.
Let me know if you still have problems. :thumbup:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, so I bought a newer-style trigger assembly, action assembly, and bolt assembly, the one with the bolt hold open feature, and I am working through the installation. The first two times I put it together, I couldn't figure out why the bolt wouldn't close all the way. Then I figured out that the retention mechanism for the front of the action assembly had been changed. The old style uses a pair of 8-32 machine screws to hold the action in, while the new style just uses a round post (which is apparently .125" diameter, according to a rimfirecentral.com member). Using the old bolts to install the new action was canting the action up and not letting the bolt close all the way.

Well, I did me some thinking, and the tap drill size for an 8-32 thread is .136", so I snagged a .131" roll pin and it fits nicely in the threaded hole. I figure that the location of the hole hasn't changed from one rifle to another. I hope I'm right. I trimmed the roll pin down to fit inside the barreled receiver and reinstalled the action. It now looks level. More importantly, the bolt slides and closes great now. I have yet to fire the gun. I plan on putting about 100-120 rounds through it to see how it behaves. If it works, I plan on machining a pair of .125" diameter posts that will screw into the existing screw holes. See below:

So, anyone with gun customization experience, any gunsmiths out there, what's your take on my plan? Anyone have experience putting newer-style internals in an old Marlin Mod 60? Also, if a MOD wants to, you can move this into the "Ask the Gunsmith" forum.

--Geoff

·
Registered
10 Posts
Burninator, depending on the serial number, it might need a new feed throat conversion kit. Some even required a bolt mod with the new kit.

Malm

·
Registered
64 Posts
Malm said:
Burninator, depending on the serial number, it might need a new feed throat conversion kit. Some even required a bolt mod with the new kit.

Malm
Can you give a SN# range and where I could get more info about this?
Where are the kits available?

Thanks,
Tony

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'll have to dig for the list, but in the mean time, Jack First Gunshop (605)343-9544 can provide the complete serial number range as well as kit's and replacement bolts. Brownells carries the kit as well. http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... %20kits&s=

If you need further help give me a call.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Range report: feeding issues are GONE. Not one misfeed out of 120 rounds, but there were still some FTE issues. I hope to get around to manufacturing my new pins soon. Malm, I have installed a new-style action and bolt in the gun, and it seems to work well. The bolt-hold-open feature worked every time. There was one failure to fire (bad ammo?) and about 6 or 7 failures to eject, but all my feeding issues are gone, which makes this gun usable. The only downside is I went from a metal trigger guard to a plastic one with a nice gash in it. I'm going to look into modifying the old trigger guard to accommodate the bolt-release lever and swap the old trigger back in. More updates when I have them :D

--Geoff

·
Registered
10 Posts
Geoff,

Pull the bolt back and look at the way the ejector protrudes from the bolts face. You might need to tweak the ejector a touch to gain a bit more contact with the case. In other words, bend the tip of the ejector inwards slightly, in the direction of the center of the bolt, to give it a little more positive contact with the cartridge case.

You are correct, occasional failure to fire with this gun is more than likely ammo related. Biggest offender is CCI. Glad to hear it is running for you though.

Malm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts