Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a few weeks back, my father-in-law came to town to visit. I knew he liked to shoot, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to take him to Range Masters. I also took my own dad and a friend of mine from work joined us. I rented an MP5 for us to shoot, and my dad brought his 10/22 and 22/45, while I brought my Model 60 and my friend from work brought a variety of handguns. We had a great evening, playing :swat:, learning a few new guns, and just having a good time. We were all impressed with how manageable the MP5 was, although I wish that it had the 3-shot burst option. My dad really liked it, having shot a fully auto AK once. He said the AK was a beast...

Shooting that MP5 was such a blast, I can't wait to go back and shoot the UMP! What automatic weapons have you shot? :D What are some other good places to rent automatics along the Wasatch front? This is my best "real life story" so far...

--Geoff

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
M16, 50cal Browning, 30cal Browning and M60.

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
In order of decreasing coolness: M2, M249, M60, M16A1, M16A2.

Only got to shoot the M2 once, and only 50 rounds. Awesome experience, though. The M16s were my duty weapon most of my time in AFRES (with an M203 grenade launcher underneath -- which was also fun to shoot), but when my unit switched from M-60 to SAW, I became an M-249 gunner.

One of the things I miss most about being in the reserves is the shooting.

·
Registered
701 Posts
50 cal, M240, M60, Saw (don't remember the normiclature), M16-A2. I think that is it. It seems like I am missing one though. The most fun was when I shot the M60 from the hip. There is no way Sylvester Stalone or Gov. Arnold (I don't remember witch one did it in a movie) could have managed 2 of them at the same time. :gun5: :gun7:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Boy you young vets got to fire some cool weapons, us old vets did not have them in the 60's. It is a shame the government trusted us back then, to fire and handle them. But after getting out we would go to jail for having them. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Full auto is a fun way to go. The only guns I have ever shot are the MP5, the Ingram MAC-10 (suppressed), and a Sten. They were all very cool but I liked the MP5 the best.

A friend of mine in CO had a MP5SD and a Thompson. I had the opportunity to buy them a few years back but couldn't come up with $25K :cry:

·
Registered
80 Posts
M-2 Carbine .30 Cal Carbine, Thompson Model 1928 .45 ACP, Armalite AR-10 (original) 7.62X51, Swedish K 9 mm, American Arms 180 .22 lr (what a great way to blast through a brick of .22 lr). Really enjoyed shooting the Swedish K. Cycling rate was low enough to pop off single shots by stroking the trigger. All fired courtesy of a friend who owned a gunshop in Southern California during the '70s when I first got interested in practical pistol shooting.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
In no particular order

M2, Mark 19, M16A2, AK-47, SKS with a slam fire issue, M4, and an MG 42 once.

I don't know if the Mark 19 counts, as it is actually a full auto grenade launcher.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thx997303 said:
I don't know if the Mark 19 counts, as it is actually a full auto grenade launcher.
:shocked: Why wouldn't it?!?! :lol: I think the whole idea of an automatic weapon is relatively localized destruction by flying metal. Adding explosives to the mix can only help...

--Geoff

·
Registered
125 Posts
lets see
Sten gun was my first then H&K MP5, MAC M11a1, M16a1, M60, M16a2, M240B, M249(SAW), M2, MK19, M4, M16a4, AK47, RPK.
I think thats it in order starting at 10 years old and the ak and rpk were two years ago
on my wants list would be an MG 42 and 34 and a thompson and a BAR and a 1919 browning
:D

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
M16, M4, M249, M60, M240, Mk-19, MP5SD6 (sounded just like my paintball gun), AK47, RPK, H&K G3, FNFAL.

Full auto may be fun but I can drop targets at 800m faster with an M24 Sniper Weapons System than you can with an M240 firing the same .308 rounds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts