Utah Guns Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
swillden said:
I certainly understand the concepts of risk analysis, expected risk and risk vs. cost tradeoffs.
[snip]
My apologies for not clarifying; I have stated previously in another posts that I don't carry. I visit this forum because it is an active forum with an enjoyable community of local shooters. I may not have the carrying thing in common but we do have the shooting thing in common in addition I am interested in pursuing the expansion and maintenance of the rights of shooters which is also something we have in common.

· Registered
8,738 Posts
Eukatae said:
swillden said:
I certainly understand the concepts of risk analysis, expected risk and risk vs. cost tradeoffs.
[snip]
My apologies for not clarifying; I have stated previously in another posts that I don't carry.
Ah, okay. That does clarify things.

BTW, I've also previously stated that I carry, but not for self-defense. I simply don't think the statistical likelihood of needing to be armed justifies the cost, inconvenience, etc. My reason for carrying is to be a statistic; I think it's quite clear -- statistically -- that the more citizens are carrying daily the lower the violent crime rate, and I don't think that enough people are currently stepping up to this responsibility, so I do. Basically, while the risk/cost tradeoff for my individual protection is bad, the tradeoff from the perspective of societal safety is good because I place significant personal value on making the world a safer place. It's an odd sort of argument because in the limit almost everyone would carry and there would be almost no violent crime -- and in that world I wouldn't carry.

I do carry for self-defense when I travel, though (where legal). In my estimation, the probability of needing to defend myself increases when I'm in unfamiliar areas.

Back to carjacking, I do think that it's a reasonable tradeoff to take some very simple precautions, just because they cost so little. I also lock my house up at night, for the same reason.

· Registered
119 Posts
:agree: Everyone takes some precaution whether they have a gun or not. Why do we have locks on our cars, why do we lock our house, why do we even have keys for those locks? It is all a precaution that someone won't take what is ours. I think pretty much anyone would gladly give up their car over life, but a BG doesn't care what he has to do to get the car. We don't know what they are thinking. We all take precautions, some just are more cautious than others and that could be because of experience or the way the world is going. If you read on ksl.com, everyday you will see that there are robberies, home invasions, etc. If you want to protect you and yours, there has to be more precautions taken. A lock isn't a lock anymore. BG don't care what happens anymore. The measures taken by a BG are endless now. For me it is more than just protecting myself, I have to be cautious for my wife and child and sometimes that requires investing in ways of protecting them.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.