Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this was funny and ridiculous in the ways that he tried to overpower his son who was defending his little sister.
Man tries to attack family with chainsaw and weed eater

What next, maybe a rototiller?

Just to kind of stir the pot, What would you do if someone was coming at you with a unstarted chainsaw or weed eater? I was told in the CFP class that they have to have intent and the ability. There is intent, but ability? Maybe after several tries of him trying to attack me I would then take my gun and......pistol whip him or take the bullets out and start throwing them at him. I really don't know what I would do in this situation, but maybe you could help me out.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
ndavis2008 said:
I thought this was funny and ridiculous in the ways that he tried to overpower his son who was defending his little sister.

Just to kind of stir the pot, What would you do if someone was coming at you with a unstarted chainsaw or weed eater? I was told in the CFP class that they have to have intent and the ability. There is intent, but ability? Maybe after several tries of him trying to attack me I would then take my gun and......pistol whip him or take the bullets out and start throwing them at him. I really don't know what I would do in this situation, but maybe you could help me out.
Umm. I am surprised you even question ability in this situation. My answer is a very quick absolutely he has ability with a chainsaw. All it takes is 1 severed major artery and you bleed out in a very brief time. It all come down to do you feel you are at risk of death of serious bodily. I personally would be extremely concerned about risk of death or serious bodily injury with a guy coming after me with a chainsaw. The weedeater, maybe not as much but anybody that attacks me with any implement (of any kind) I would consider a serious threat and you certainly could be seriously injured with darn near anything including a weedeater of rototiller or garden spade for that matter.

·
Registered
542 Posts
ndavis2008 said:

Wether he could start them or not, both make a good club. I could still sleep soundly at night if he came at me and I shot him. not to mention any one touches my sister and they would get a beating they would never forget. :emt:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't think twice if the thing was started, but a chainsaw makes for a heavy club that is hard to swing and kind of awkward if it wasn't started. Same goes for a weed eater. I would definitely step in if he hit my sister. I might feel a little threatened seeing that he pulls the chainsaw out and starts to try and start it, but knowing that it wouldn't start and then he goes for something else. It seems that while he is earnestly trying to get it started you would have time to leave and call the police. But, yes you are right in the fact that if he was coming at me with a running chainsaw or even weed eater I would pull my gun and make my defense. I wouldn't so much with just a big bulky tool. I would really have to think about it.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
It sounds like what could have been done at the time was done to protect the family. Perhaps though, this may give them even more of a reason to arm themselves properly, who knows, the next incident could be a cold hearted killer.

as for this:

Craft now faces felony assault charges and assault in front of a minor.
Regardless of how we all may feel about the criminal acts of Mr. Craft, this is a totally idiotic and improper catch 22 charge. I am told that even if a minor may be next door, in the bathroom or in the back yard, the simple fact that they may hear a coupole arguing is enough for the police and the prosecutor to throw this charge on anyone. It alone is truly a symptom of government going awry. Of course, our legislature says it is okay to spank your child, but if another child sees this does this then become an offense to be charged because you committed an "assault" upon another child while properly disciplining them? Simply put, arrest the man for what he is (allegedly) guilty of and charge him appropriately but lets eliminate the garbage. And yes, this same trumped up charge can and will be used by the police whenever they are called to domestic disputes and a child is there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts