Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
I heard about this on Doug Wrights show this morning and a Lady called up to say how stupid it was to assume these people will travel all the way across the US to get a concealed carry permit and add to our Tourism industry. Doug's response was basically, "Why wouldn't they? If they want it that bad they will come here"

I think it is a dumb idea. If they want to raise rates for out of state applications, fine, but don't exclude the out of state people because you think you will boost tourism.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think it's a horrible idea to whore out the permit as a way to raise tourism. It's counter intuitive that someone would come here and see the sights and get their CCW. If they are self defense aware they will want the permit before they come.

Could this potentially affect reciprocity with other states? The main complaint is that resident permits are taking to long since BCI is backed up with non resident permits. I've heard that resident permits get priority. Is this true?

I think it's a way for Jonny boy to try appease everyone. The gun control group will think no one would come all the way across the county for a permit. And the pro gun crowd will think it's still possible to get out state permits but theres more restrictions on it. I hope it gets shot down and never passes.

There is no problem that needs solving. If they want to try and raise more revenue they should just increase the non resident permit fee.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
:agree:
Just raise the prices and hire more people if it's becoming a problem getting the permits out in time. Or, hire a consulting firm to evaluate efficiency (anyone seen Office Space?). Denying the permit to out of state residents will most likely negatively influence our reciprocity with other states... and that would make me pretty peeved.

·
Registered
199 Posts
It's a bad idea. People will just get a Florida permit, or another state that is nearly as good as Utah. Florida is normally much more expensive, but if you add the cost of a trip to Utah, Florida gets cheaper real quick. Few of them are going to actually vacation to Utah, then take time out of said vacation to attend classes.

We should instead make the state even *more* gun friendly. Those who get out of state permits obviously care about gun rights, and they just might pick Utah for their next vacation simply because they can exercise their right here (and Utah is a pretty good vacation destination).

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I agree -- I don't think out-of-staters should be denied a permit before they even come here. One big reason to get an out-of-state permit in the first place is to CYA once you arrive packing in that state. If we go through with this measure, imagine what every other state will do to us: not recognize our permit and make us travel to their state prior to obtaining ours. It's just stupid.

I also agree that as a Utah Resident I should not have to foot the bill for the out-of-state applicant. So, raise the fee -- very substantially if necessary -- and hire staff dedicated to first processing of out-of-state applications as they come in. They should be funded entirely by the out-of-state fee (as high as that might or might not be). They should only be allowed to help out with in-state applications whenever their out-of-state box is empty (and vice-versa with the in-state employees).

It's really a no-brainer -- I'm sure private business would have been able to figure this one out already.

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
Somebody from our forum needs to call Doug's show tomorrow and give him a piece of our collective minds. I generally agree with a lot of what the guy says, but he's WAY off base on this one.

·
Registered
342 Posts
bane said:
I also agree that as a Utah Resident I should not have to foot the bill for the out-of-state applicant.
From what I've read the cost to get the permit covers everything and that the BCI portion that deals with CCW's is completely self sufficient in that they need no taxes to do everything. So we aren't footing the bill for them.

But I still think we should raise the fee for out of state applicants. Hire a few more people and cut down the wait time. Or just raise it to make some revenue. It'd make more than the tourism scheme.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I'm with you guys - just raise the fee to an amount that covers the costs and keeps some in the coffers for the honorable Guv. I think our permit already brings in a lot of tourism dollars. I know a lot of people that travel here for the course - LOTS of folks from Idaho come here. Also, if I were an out of stater and had a choice between skiing in Boulder, CO where my gun is pretty much illegal or Park City where I can carry it on my hip if I choose, you know where I'm going. As I have mentioned before, I've traveled to D.C. 7 or 8 times in the last year and always stay in Virginia. Any guesses why?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi guys,
I'm from Minnesota and my Utah permit arrived about a week ago after 67 days of waiting. I agree, charge out-of-state guys $100. That's what Minnesotans pay for a Minnesota permit. I took a PTC class from an instructor that teaches both MN & UT and decided to JUST get the UT permit because it works in about 30 states (including MN). The MN permit is only good in 17 states.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I also like the "renewal permit" from Utah because you don't have to take a class again. You just mail in the renewal form with $10 and BCI sends you a new permit. To renew a MN permit you have to take the class (cost $100) and pay another $100 to the sheriff for the renewal permit.

So, I would much rather pay your state $100 (or even more) for a UT permit that reciprocates in almost twice as many states as MN does and is much easier to renew in 5 years. As matter-of-fact, my wife and 2 of my friends are taking the class on 7-26-08 and will be getting the UT permit too.

BTW, we'll be traveling through your fine state in September on our way to AZ. I'll be sure to wave 8)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Magnum Mikie said:
I'll be sure to wave 8)
Better yet, stop off to shoot at one of our ranges and give our gun guys some money! :lol:

But yes, you are correct about the renewal stuff.

·
Registered
9 Posts
And then there's always the former residents (and Utah CWL holders) that still have ties to the state, but aren't always in a position to visit. Besides, Utah gives me 3 or 4 more reciprocating states :D , on top of the Texas permit (even though I have to sit through more classroom hours for TX :dunno: ). I have no problem paying extra for the permit. I would prefer to not to have to travel in for the option. Although I'm sure the family wouldn't mind much.
Now I just have to get to Dallas/Ft. Worth to take the combined class :eat:.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts