Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw this on KSL...

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=3949800
KSL said:
Boy hurt during home invasion
August 6, 2008
(KSL News) Ogden police say a 13-year-old boy is lucky to be alive following a botched home invasion.
According to the Standard Examiner, around 11 p.m., someone knocked on the door of an apartment at 425 Park Blvd.
When a woman went to answer, three armed men forced their way inside. They forced the residents on the floor and demanded to know where some money was.
One of the men then put a gun to the neck of the 13-year-old. It went off, but the bullet missed the boy. After the gunshot, the men fled.
The boy sustained powder burns on his neck and was treated at the scene.
Police are still searching for the suspects.
I guess this is why we should:

1) Have a home-defense weapon easily accessible at all times
2) Always look through your door's spy-glass prior to opening a door
3) Never open your door to a stranger(s) you aren't confident you can fight off... better for them to have to leave a note if it's important

It's just good no one was seriously injured.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have a weapon with in easy reach at home at all times. If outside watering, mowing the yard or what ever I have a weapon on me. But seeing as I do not wear pj's just keep one next to me.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
How true, how true. :lol2:

·
Registered
542 Posts
In one news cast i heard that the 13 year-old tried to fight off one of the attackers and thats when the gun went off? I was proud of that kid, standing up for his family, but I might have heard wrong. :dunno:

·
Registered
378 Posts
I NEVER answer my door that late unless I am expecting someone. After 9 p.m., my husband will not answer the door unarmed. When my husband is out of town, I will not answer the door after 9:00 p.m. (again, unless I am expecting someone), and keep my firearm close to me in the bedroom.

·
Registered
226 Posts
i'm glad kid is ok but don't you think installing that little 6-8 inch chain on your door would/could help a lot. i have one on my front and back door and wouldn't have it any other way plus as soon as i got it i threw away stock bolts that came with it and got some better bolts. a little bit of extra protection can go a long way.

·
Registered
701 Posts
utahmomof4 said:
I NEVER answer my door that late unless I am expecting someone. After 9 p.m., my husband will not answer the door unarmed. When my husband is out of town, I will not answer the door after 9:00 p.m. (again, unless I am expecting someone), and keep my firearm close to me in the bedroom.
I never answer the door unarmed period!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I generally don't answer the door if I am not expecting someone. If you want to come talk to me, I suggest you call first (it is the polite thing to do). And I am not expecting anyone at 11PM.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Mazellan said:
+1 PDTV had Massad Ayoob show what you do when someones at the door. Door bell rings or someone knocks. Get up and check that your gun will come out freely, then look through the peep hole. If it's someone you don't know ask through the door,but from a distance, what they need. If they sound like they are making something up like, I need to use a phone, my car just ran out of gas, etc. Back up and draw, low ready finger off trigger! or grab the shotgun and tell them you can't help them but you'd be more than happy to call the police for them and see if they could help them. If they persist keep backing up and get to cover so if they try and force their way in you can shoot from cover.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Ty said:
Mazellan said:
+1 PDTV had Massad Ayoob show what you do when someones at the door. Door bell rings or someone knocks. Get up and check that your gun will come out freely, then look through the peep hole. If it's someone you don't know ask through the door,but from a distance, what they need. If they sound like they are making something up like, I need to use a phone, my car just ran out of gas, etc. Back up and draw, low ready finger off trigger! or grab the shotgun and tell them you can't help them but you'd be more than happy to call the police for them and see if they could help them. If they persist keep backing up and get to cover so if they try and force their way in you can shoot from cover.

Very good advice for all of us.

Tarzan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts