Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I previously posted this as a thread at OpenCarry.org on 20 May 2006. I didn't originally post it here because I was open carrying... :)

However, I'm going to quote this post here, since we've had a lot of discussions lately about open-carrying.
Jeff Johnson said:
I was open-carrying my SW99 when my wife and I decided to stop in at a local burger joint in Pleasant Grove, Utah to grab some lunch. The burger joint, The Purple Turtle, is a well-known local landmark (everybody knows what you mean when you say, 'turn right at the Purple Turtle').

I've been regularly open-carrying in Utah County for some time now, and have surprisingly had almost no noticeable public reaction. This visit to the Purple Turtle really involved my first experience of being questioned by a member of the public. After my wife and I ordered our meals at the counter, we filled our soft drink cups and started walking to a table. An elderly woman sitting with her husband nearby motioned me over and asked -- with quite a worried expression on her face -- if I was a police officer. When I said no, she asked, "Then how is it you can carry a gun?"

I just smiled at her and explained, in brief terms, what the gun laws are in Utah concerning the carrying of a gun. She seemed surprised and just said, "Oh!"

I proceeded to my table to eat lunch with my wife. About twenty minutes later, the elderly couple got up to leave. They briefly paused by our table while she leaned over, smiled and said, "Good hunting!"

I just chuckled.

Another citizen educated.

G

·
Right now, we have a "guilty until proven innocent" attitude when it comes to carrying firearms. We make people beg permission to defend their families and freedom. That's stupid with a capital RETARDED!

Rather than making the BCI do a background check on everybody who cares, we should just tattoo felons' foreheads with little message: "It's illegal for me to have a gun!" and then just assume that anyone without such a tattoo is "licensed" to carry. It'll save the state and the FBI some money and it'll save honest citizens some time.

G

·
Once upon a time in Ft Lewis'
I responded to among the stupidest calls of my life. Its not customary for local law enforcement to be on base. If the local LE had to work on base (other than training) they had to jump through hoops and more often that not rather that let them serve a warrant we just delivered. So I received a call of a man with a gun in the PX. Upon arriving and investigating (there was no general "panic") there was a Dependant (husband of service member) uniformed police officer eating lunch with his wife. I felt even more stupid wen after calling the code 4, the desk still wanted paperwork! So much for a respectable image with the local cops. :roll:

"open carry on an army base"
There's stupid, then there is ARMY STUPID.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Lucky Head Shot said:
Now if they would only raise the bag limit
so what state office should i request a "hunt if a lifetime" tag? i asked at the Bureau of Prisons. They asked me to leave, and then as i left they said "See ya later" i cannot undersand why.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Ishpeck said:
Rather than making the BCI do a background check on everybody who cares, we should just tattoo felons' foreheads with little message: "It's illegal for me to have a gun!" and then just assume that anyone without such a tattoo is "licensed" to carry. It'll save the state and the FBI some money and it'll save honest citizens some time.
ROTFLMAO

I couldn't agree more

G

·
xmirage2kx said:
Ishpeck said:
ROTFLMAO

I couldn't agree more
It became my quote on another forum for a while

1 - 11 of 11 Posts