Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Ladies!

I was telling my husband the other day how I can't seem to find anyone who has done a homebirth before. We are 14 weeks preg with our first and we are almost positive that we are going to do a home birth. We met with a midwive at Full Circle Maternity (Jules) several weeks ago and we need to make our decision so I can switch to her for my prenatals.

My husband told me to take a look here and see if anyone had done homebirths: I thought he was crazy but sure enough...it seems like there are a few of you! So I have some questions for you!

1st Who did your homebirth?
2nd Did you do waterbirth at home?
3rd Would you recommend it?
4th Did you ever worry about if there were complications with your baby that there wouldn't be the resources needed to treat him/her?

The main reason why we haven't moved forward with it is because of question #4

Also...this is a little bit more on topic...do you have any suggestions for conceal carry while being pregnant? I don't like having my gun in my purse and pre-pregnancy I carried using SmartCarry but now that my stomach is getting bigger and I am hot all the time it is not comfortable! My husband suggested ankle carry but I am afraid that further into this I won't be able to draw the gun very quickly.

Thank you in advance for your comments! I am interested in birthing stories, any advice and just getting to know you! :D

:mod: Moved to "Chit Chat" to allow male members to comment.

·
Registered
378 Posts
A friend of mine who is also a midwife attended my births. She has a couple of attendants (not officially doulas, but perform basically the same kind of role) that attended my births as well. My 4 kids were all born at home with the same midwife.

I did not try waterbirthing with any of mine, though I have heard good things about it from others. So while I can't recommend it personally, it sounds like a good deal.

I worried about complications with my first one, but not with the others since the first one went so well. I always knew that if there were the slightest sign of anything wrong, my midwife would get me to a hospital. She refuses to take any chances with the health of mother or baby. She will usually not even try to deliver a breach baby at home because of potential complications. If she suspects something, she has a clinic that she has a good relationship with with a couple of OB's and she will send the mothers to them for testing, ultrasounds, or just concurrent care.

As far as carrying while pregnant, I have no advice on that one. If I carried at all when I was pregnant, it was in my purse, because I could never find a comfortable way to carry while pregnant. Of course, I've always had bad luck with holsters in general anyway. I can definitely see your point with the ankle holster. The further along you get, the harder it is to bend over that far. :lol:

Good luck with your decision. I know that my home deliveries have been absolutely amazing, and I can't imagine doing it any other way (unless I couldn't for some reason, of course).

·
Registered
223 Posts
Both of my 2 children were born at home. My wife and I wouldn't have it any other way. We love our home births!

As for number 4, our midwife also told us that if anything weird were to happen, she would not hesitate to help us get to the hospital, etc. The midwife has ways of telling if everything is going right, and would alert us if that was not the case.

Our midwife for the first baby was Suzanne Smith, not sure about her last name. She has an office in Orem. Our midwife for the 2nd baby was Rochelle Jolley, who my wife would highly recommend. The only downside with Rochelle is how far away she lives --- in Springville. We live in Lehi, so my wife had to drive a ways for the pre-birth checkups. But we weren't worried about her not making it to the birth in time, as my wife (and other women in her family) always has loooooong drawn out labor. :(

We never tried a water birth, though we did have an inflatable kids' pool filled with warm water for my wife to relax in while laboring. In both of our child's cases though, the actual birth did not take place while my wife was in the pool.

If you'd like my wife to chat with you about her experiences, send me a private message.

EDIT: SORRY! I did not realize this was the ladies' only section!! <embarrased>

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have never had a home birth put i have herd about it. :lol:
I have this friend that had a home birth she had her first in the hospital and her secound at home. :D
She said that it was a cool experence and she was scarred about having complications. :wink:
But she was not worried sence her first went good and there was no problums. 8)
So she desited to do it she sat in the bath tub most of it and then when the baby was crowning she got out and had him on her bed. :thumbsup:
There was no complications which she was glad. :dancing:
She said it was worth it but she would never have her first at home. :love:
Because she did not know if there was going to be problums with the delivery or not and did not know what to expect with it. :)
She also said that she is not going to have the 3 baby at home. :thewave:
Because she only wanted to try it and it was not the funest for her she liked the hospital better. :party3:
She has not had her 3 yet she is still pregnent. :taz:
I dont recomend it because i think it is scarry and i would rather prefer being in the hospital with all mine. :angel:
I only have one but am planing on having another very soon. :lol:

As far as the open carrying while being pregnent do not but it on your ankle. :D
Because u will not be able to bend over at least i could not. :|
I recomend just a padle holster on your side. :D
I carry on my side and it is comfertable i think. 8)
I like padle hosters and i know u will get big but i dont think that it is going to make a problum. :p
I would open carry when i get pregnent but i will be on a military base and cant have guns. :x
Which will suck because i am so used to carrying and don't know what i will do. :cry:
So good luck with the home birth thing i hope it goes good for u. :thumbsup:
But i just don't think u sould have your first at home sence u dont know what to expect. :dancing:
So i think if u want to do that try with your secound baby so good luck. :taz: :lol:

·
Registered
378 Posts
With my first homebirth, I saw a doctor for prenatal visits along with the midwife just because I was a little nervous. However, there is a long line of healthy reproduction history in my family, and while I know that doesn't completely negate the chances of having a complicated birth, it did give me some peace. If my mom, grandma, aunts, or sisters had had a history of high-risk pregnancies (including gestational diabetes, pre-ecclampsia, etc.), then I would probably have been more nervous about it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your responses!

I will probably do what utahmomof4 did and see my OBGYN and my midwife for prenatal visits....I doubt that I will tell them that I am seeing two different people for these visits though :wink: Our insurance covers all prental, delivery and post care 100% with NO deductible! Wow huh?!? But we will have to pay the full fee for our midwife's prenatals and the delivery. I am a low risk pregnancy. I was very healthy when we got pregnant and we have had no complications or any reason to believe that we will have complications.

Eddified I appreciate your comments! They are very helpful. I enjoy hearing about the labor process from the husband's point of view as well. I think that having our baby at home will give my husband and I more control...making it a much better experience!

Like what utahmomof4 mentioned...our midwife has made it clear that her goal is a healthy baby and mom so she will not take any risks. If the baby is breeched she will help us use different methods to try and get the baby to move before labor happens. If the baby still doesn't move and stays breeched then she will not deliver us at home. She works with several OBGYNs and will get us to a hospital if an unexpected emergency arises during labor. The hospital is within 10 minutes of our home.

Thank you so much for your comments! They have really helped my husband and I in deciding what to do. If you think of anything else you would like to say your comments are always welcomed! As far as carrying goes...I guess purse carry it is! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Both of my children were born naturally, at home. :crown:

I will let packingmama give you the details.

Sorry for breaking the rules! :rules:

·
Registered
378 Posts
All the best to you, Yung1s!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SGT Jensen said:
Both of my children were born naturally, at home. :crown:

I will let packingmama give you the details.

Sorry for breaking the rules! :rules:
That will be great! I would love to hear about more people's experiences with home birth :) I even like to hear stories from the husbands point of view. (Oh, and thank you for "breaking the rules!" :lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cassie said:
r u doing it with no medication?
Yup! Home birth and natural birth go hand in hand. Medication is not an option with home birth....there isn't an anesthesiologist there to give an epidural. :eek: Anyone who hasn't done a home birth always asks me the same question.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I fully support each person's right to decide for themselves, but let me tell you about my second daughter's birth. We've done all the births in the hospital, and while it hasn't always been the best atmosphere, it saved my second daughter's life. Everything was progressing normally, as time went on, but the monitors showed that her oxygen was dropping with each contraction. The doctor started to get worried, and she told my wife she had one more push before they went for a c-section. My wife got our baby out on that push (a long, difficult one), with the doctor pulling with everything she had as well.

Our daughter had the cord wrapped around her neck three times, and her head was totally blue. Note that everything seemed totally fine before we saw that. If we had been without instruments, we would have taken at least another hour letting things go naturally, and my daughter would have been stillborn. She would have suffocated.

Our other three baby births went without a hitch, but I became a fan of having good sensors and instruments because of my 2nd daughter's birth. I do not want to start a flame war, but I thought a differing opinion would be appreciated. Personally, I would not dream of doing it at home. I think people are trading modern medicine for their own wish for a "spiritual" or "natural" experience. It is a selfish desire that puts the wants of the parents above the needs of the baby. I apologize for being a little strong on it, but I've seen what can go wrong and developed pretty strong feelings because of it.

If you do it at home, be sure you have sufficient "modern" instruments and a *trained* midwife. The nurse-midwives are especially good because they have several years of training as RNs and then as midwives. They bring the best of the home experience with the modern benefits of medicine. Their birthing centers are usually right next to a hospital (or even in the hospital) so you have access if something goes wrong. Good luck with the pregnancy and birth. Having kids is an awesome adventure -- we'll have our fifth in a couple months.

·
Registered
223 Posts
doconix said:
It is a selfish desire that puts the wants of the parents above the needs of the baby.
Sorry, but I don't think you are correct about the "selfish" part. You're not inside my head and therefore don't know my motives for wanting natural childbirth at home.

As for putting our needs above the needs of the baby, I should let you all know that there are some arguments that the home birth is in fact better for the baby.... such as getting real mom time (after the birth), and being more gently handled, without being whisked away by the doctor to be weighed, held up-side down, and pricked in the heel (and so on and so forth). That is to say, right after birth at home, the baby is allowed to cuddle with mom and begin bonding. Yes, both of my children (who were born at home) were weighed, and so on, but really, what's the rush? Let the baby cuddle with mom and have a loving first couple of hours in the world before being weighed and examined more thoroughly, etc etc. There is evidence that babies incur trauma during and after birth, so the effect of a more gentle, laid-back home birth may have some advantages to the child's mental and emotional development.

I fully understand the arguments for hospital birth, and I know the risks of home birth. I just don't think judging others is the way to conduct a debate about the pros and cons of home births.

·
Registered
37 Posts
In my experience when I had my daughter, she came out and they put her on my belly and they did not prick her foot or hang her upside down.
They rubbed her off and then weighed her and measured her. Then they handed her to my husband and then me. :lol:

I got to hold her as long as i wanted to and bond with her. it was was the one of the greatest days of my life. :D
I was pretty much in tears. :crying: :p

·
Registered
378 Posts
eddified said:
doconix said:
It is a selfish desire that puts the wants of the parents above the needs of the baby.
Sorry, but I don't think you are correct about the "selfish" part. You're not inside my head and therefore don't know my motives for wanting natural childbirth at home.

As for putting our needs above the needs of the baby, I should let you all know that there are some arguments that the home birth is in fact better for the baby.... such as getting real mom time (after the birth), and being more gently handled, without being whisked away by the doctor to be weighed, held up-side down, and pricked in the heel (and so on and so forth). That is to say, right after birth at home, the baby is allowed to cuddle with mom and begin bonding. Yes, both of my children (who were born at home) were weighed, and so on, but really, what's the rush? Let the baby cuddle with mom and have a loving first couple of hours in the world before being weighed and examined more thoroughly, etc etc. There is evidence that babies incur trauma during and after birth, so the effect of a more gentle, laid-back home birth may have some advantages to the child's mental and emotional development.

I fully understand the arguments for hospital birth, and I know the risks of home birth. I just don't think judging others is the way to conduct a debate about the pros and cons of home births.
Completely agree. Personally, I have known a lot of moms whom one could consider selfish for having their babies in the hospital; considered it a "vacation" and tried to stay the maximum amount their insurance would cover, had the baby stay in the nursery for as long as possible, etc. I also know a mom whose child has severe cerebral palsy due to injuries it sustained during a completely screwed up delivery on the part of the medical staff, whereas that child, had he been born at home, would most likely be perfectly healthy. So there are nightmare and miracle stories on both sides.

I have found that this topic can be pretty polarizing as there are very strong opinions on both sides, usually based more on personal experience than on actual statistical data. This is one of those things that is best left to personal choice/preference. Share your experiences (either way), but be careful about judging others' choices and experiences.

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
cassie said:
In my experience when I had my daughter, she came out and they put her on my belly and they did not prick her foot or hang her upside down.
All four of my children were born in a hospital, in 1993, 1995, 1997 and 2001. Over that eight-year period I noticed some changes in the process, and that was one of them. When the first was born, the doctor immediately handed my son to nurses to weigh, measure, wash, draw blood, etc.

For the second, the doctor apologized as he did the same thing, and said he would have allowed us to hold my daughter first, but he thought she had inhaled some meconium and needed medical attention first. It was a good thing they did, because her lungs needed to be flushed; the meconium was burning them. Because they did it immediately, there was no permanent scarring.

The third was C-section, and 11 weeks premature, so he went immediately to the newborn ICU, where he stayed for five weeks. During that time, though, both my wife and I were strongly encouraged to spend time every day holding and bonding (as soon as he was off the ventilator). The nurses put up privacy screens so that the parents could take their shirts off and get skin-to-skin contact. The nurses also encouraged us to be involved in as much of his care as possible (the main constraint was my job and our two children at home; even when you have a sick baby in the hospital, the rest of life must go on).

The fourth was a normal delivery, and they handed him to my wife immediately, without even cleaning him off except to brush a towel over him. We were allowed to hold him as long as we wanted, and then the nurses asked if they should clean him off, or if we wanted to. I bathed him and cleaned the blood, etc. off, then I held him while the nurse measured, and I wrapped him in a blanket and put him on the scale for weighing. The nurse had me do a couple of things to judge his alertness (he was great) and then I took him back to Kris. We kept him for a few hours until Kris decided she needed to get some sleep, and I had to go check on the other kids. While she was recuperating, she could have the baby brought in at any time, day or night, and keep him as long as she wanted (he didn't ever have to go to the nursery), and the nurses encourage moms to keep their babies as much as possible.

I think modern hospitals have gotten very good at making sure that childbirth is a happy, bonding experience in a pleasant, supportive environment. They don't use separate labor and delivery rooms so there's no wheeling mom around partway. The rooms are large, bright, open and decorated in warm colors. You can have all the family you want present (up to the limits of the room, and most of them are big rooms). If everything goes smoothly, they deliver the baby immediately to the parents, and almost require the parents to be involved in every part of the baby's care.

Of course, if there are problems, it's simply amazing what modern medicine can do. After our preemie was born, Kris and I volunteered in the NICU "parent-to-parent" organization, providing support for other parents who were going through the experience of having a very sick baby, so we saw a lot. We saw a baby that weighed 15 ounces at birth grow up and go home healthy. We learned that normal newborns, though we tend to think of them as helpless, can actually do a lot for themselves. They can breathe, they can regulate their body temperature, they can eat, they can manage their own blood chemistry. Many preemies and sick babies can't do any of those things, but that's okay, because the hospital can do it for them until they develop enough to do it themselves.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from home birth if that's what you want to do, but I think a lot of people have inaccurate ideas about what a hospital birth is like. It's far from the cold, impersonal, clinical environment that it used to be.

From my perspective, the only disadvantage to a hospital birth is the silly stuff they make you do before you can take the baby home. We had to watch some videos on caring for a baby, not shaking a baby, etc., and we had to prove that we had a proper car seat, correctly installed, etc. I found that stuff especially annoying for our fourth child... it seemed to me that the policy should have some flexibility for experienced parents.

In my opinion, the advantages of hospital birthing outweigh the disadvantages. The biggest advantage, of course, is the instant availability of medical care for mom or baby should it be required. In addition to that, though, there is also the option of anesthesia (my wife's doctor likes to say "all childbirth is natural, whether you want to feel the pain or not") and after the birth the hospital staff is very supportive. If you've got plenty of family around to help out for the first couple of days, and if your midwife is a good nursing coach, etc., then you may not need that. Otherwise, being in a hospital allows the mom time to recuperate and time to focus on the baby, without being distracted by any of the issues of normal life. This is especially valuable if you already have some kids at home.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
:agree: with swillden.

Having our first at the hospital saved his life. He was breech and we needed an emergency C-section. I don't condemn natural birth - humans have been doing it for thousands of years - but it may be wise to also acknowledge the decrease in infant mortality over the last 100 years. Advancements in modern medicine are something that I personally want to take advantage of, but this is my opinion and I respect others and their choices.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I am biased on this subject as my profession is one as a Nurse speciallizing in Critical Care.
While many/most births are very happy /joyous occasions (as all goes well generally) when a crisis happens during the birthing process or immediately after seconds or microseconds count.

I have seen a saying on this forum and on OpenCarry.org about why we carry firearms...
"When seconds count the police are just minutes away!"

The same thing applies here.

I love kids and moms. I love living healthy kids and moms better.

I will get of my rant table now.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
yung1s#2 said:
1st Who did your homebirth?
2nd Did you do waterbirth at home?
3rd Would you recommend it?
4th Did you ever worry about if there were complications with your baby that there wouldn't be the resources needed to treat him/her?
My wife had a home birth. It was a great experience. We went with Cathy O’Bryant as the midwife. She trains many of the midwives in this area and all over the country. We planned on a water birth, but shortly after entering the water there were some complications and my wife had to birth using a birthing stool instead. Our baby was born without any issues, but my wife had some problems. The midwife went above and beyond to help take care of things, and because of that we never needed to go to the ER. With almost any other midwife we would have had to go to the ER, but her expertise and preparedness kept things under control. I don’t think we will ever do anything but home births with her, and hopefully there will be less complications next time that will allow me to delver the baby under Cathy’s guidance :D .

1 - 20 of 51 Posts