Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw this story in the Trib. It's idiots like this that cause so much grief for the rest of us.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_9964543

Here's the story if you don't want to use the link.
Mustard request is met with the barrel of a gun
By Jason Bergreen
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 07/22/2008 10:04:47 PM MDT

Posted: 9:16 PM- A Sandy man took offense to a motorist, who, after getting him to roll down his window, asked, "Excuse me, sir, do you have any Grey Poupon?"
After hearing the request for Dijon mustard, the 22-year-old driver pulled a black handgun from his glove compartment, cocked the weapon and pointed it at the three people in the other car.
"Here's your Grey Poupon, roll your [expletive] windows up," he responded.
The confrontation happened June 18 at the intersection of 900 East and Winchester Street (6500 South) in Murray, court documents state.
One of the three people in the car wrote down the SUV's license plate number.
Murray police later located the man, who admitted to an officer that he pulled out the gun, racked the slide and threaten the other car.
He was charged Tuesday with aggravated assault, a third-degree felony.

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
:disgusted:

I sure hope he didn't.

At least one thing's for sure: He doesn't now.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
God I hope he did not. This kind of childness would give us all a black eye. Also give the antis more ammo, to use against us.

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
As quick as the newspapers are to criticize CFP holders, I think that the headline would have screamed it.
They would have stressed that point in the article.

I'm guessing that it's safe to assume he didn't have a permit, and so was breaking the law even before he committed the assault.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
That is probably the funniest news story I have read in a long time. While it happened it Murray, that's something that I would have expected from a Zoobie :lol:

I'm not condoning the response the man took and I don't think pointing a firearm at anyone outside of a life-threatening situation is acceptable, but you gotta love the Hollywood scripting in this situation! People sure to some weird things... :lolbang:

·
Registered
342 Posts
you gotta love the Hollywood scripting in this situation!
I'm laughing to hard to be angry right now. :lol3: I could totally see that happening in a movie.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I think few people that stupid are smart enough to have obtained a permit. The suspect was also 22, so not much time to obtain one.

But I don't see where he was charged with any weapon's charges. He should have been charged with illegal concealment if he did not have a permit.

For some reason it's gratifying, yet sad that this man, if convicted, will never own a gun again.

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
apollosmith said:
For some reason it's gratifying, yet sad that this man, if convicted, will never own a gun again.
Not necessarily "never"; felons can get their rights reinstated. Doing so requires going through a legal process to prove to a judge that you've reformed and are no longer a danger to society. I have a good friend who did this a couple years back -- Mitch Vilos represented him and got his rights restored.

Still, I agree with your basic sentiment. This guy SHOULD lose his rights. He should also be able to get them back, but the burden should be on him to prove that he has fixed his anger/stoopid problem and can be trusted.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Rugerlover said:
You think he won't?
He probably won't be convicted of a felony. Up until that day, I'm sure he was "a fine, upstanding member of the community and a nice boy" and will probably plead down to some lower crime and get probation. That's just the way these things seem to work. EVERYTHING these days is a felony, but the punishments are too harsh and nobody wants the prisons more full than they are, so felony charge = plea deal for several misdemeanors and maybe a bit of jail time the vast majority of the time.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
:shock: ... :huh: ... :D ... :lol: ... :lol3: ... :ROFL:

I should probably mention that I used to go around doing the Grey Poupon thing when I was a teen... it was quite a hoot... I had no idea I had to worry about getting a gun pulled on me for it though!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Here's a thought, what if you, with your CWP and weapon where there on the scene -- or even if you were the one to make the lame joke (which we all probably have done at least once) and this clown pulls a gun on you. Would you have felt like your life, or the life of the joker was in danger and would you be justified in shooting him?

·
Registered
378 Posts
hawkwing said:
Here's a thought, what if you, with your CWP and weapon where there on the scene -- or even if you were the one to make the lame joke (which we all probably have done at least once) and this clown pulls a gun on you. Would you have felt like your life, or the life of the joker was in danger and would you be justified in shooting him?
Good question, especially considering the reports that he actually cocked his gun.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
hawkwing said:
Would you have felt like your life, or the life of the joker was in danger and would you be justified in shooting him?
I think you would be justified in shooting about anybody that's pointing a gun at you.

Would I have shot him? Almost certainly not. First, trying to shoot someone that has a cocked gun already pointed at you is usually not a good tactical idea, unless you are certain he is about to shoot you. In this case, I think ducking, driving away very quickly, and calling 911 are in order. If the threat continued or I felt in imminent danger, then I'd stop the threat.

At a minimum, I'm so much more at ease knowing that I have the OPPORTUNITY to defend myself in this type of a situation, rather than simply being a helpless victim.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
utahmomof4 said:
hawkwing said:
Good question, especially considering the reports that he actually cocked his gun.
I would.

However, depending on the situation... are you going to have probable time to draw, aim, and fire before he does since he's already got a bead on you??? It might make sense to draw as you drive away.

EDIT: Sorry to dupe-up on you, Smith... I hadn't seen your nearly identical response prior to posting mine. Needless to day, I agree.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Excellent points, I was thinking less in a tactical sense (hopefully you would seek cover/concealment when someone has the draw on you, if that were possible) but was more thinking about what I would do if I found myself in that situation, and was in a place of concealment or cover already.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
hawkwing said:
Excellent points, I was thinking less in a tactical sense (hopefully you would seek cover/concealment when someone has the draw on you, if that were possible) but was more thinking about what I would do if I found myself in that situation, and was in a place of concealment or cover already.
In that case, absolutely you would be justified in drawing AND shooting. The guy just racked a round in the chamber and pointed the gun at you -- to have to wait until he pulls the trigger before considering it as a legitimate thread would be tad too late.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
hawkwing said:
thinking about what I would do if I found myself in that situation, and was in a place of concealment or cover already.
If a guy is pointing a gun at you, there's pretty much one way to be absolutely sure he's going to shoot at you - and that way involves projectiles coming at you at 1,000 feet per second. This is not usually the best way to determine the threat level. Regardless of your concealment or cover, if you feel imminently threatened, you would be legally justified in using deadly force.

But that's not likely your only choice. If you were in the position you suggest, with a very good position tactically with good cover and you can maintain the advantage, you'd be better off remaining under cover. Why expose yourself to shoot, escalate the situation into a shootout, and put yourself in the only position you can get killed if you have another choice? I know a lot of you will disagree, but if I and others are safe, I'm going to take cover until the threat is gone or I'm put in a situation where I must engage.

I often think about the shootout at the Tyler, Texas courthouse where an armed citizen, Mark Allen Wilson, left cover to engage an active shooter. He gave up a clear tactical advantage to engage the shooter, who was wearing a bulletproof vest. Despite hitting the perpetrator at least twice with his .45, the shooter ultimately shot Wilson at point blank range with a rifle and killed him. While Wilson was regarded a hero, he earned that title with his life. When it came down to it, he had no real obligation to engage, but did... and lost.

We could probably argue this point forever, but the idea that you must engage all threats is one that is common on forums like this and it is often the worst possible approach.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts