Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Salt Lake Tribune: Police chiefs oppose bill on guns in cars

Well, the SL Tribune gleefully reported that police chiefs voted to oppose the car-carry bill (S.B. 24 Weapons Amendments -- Madsen, M.). This is not surprising as the SL Tribune loves to oppose the right to keep and bear arms. It is also not surprising that police chiefs voted to oppose this bill, since police chiefs are politically appointed, and generally oppose RKBA across the nation. In this respect, they are often at great odds with rank and file police officers, who generally support RKBA by wide margins in most states.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Pretty sad, but not completely unexpected. I thoroughly hope it passes though. It'd be nice next step in regaining some of our lost 2A freedoms.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
This was not an unexpected move. These police chiefs, as has been stated, are politically appointed & are normally at odds with both fellow officers & with the publics desire to defend themselves when needed, and to have that means of defense available. Much of this is due to the simple fact that everyone with half a brain knows that most criminal activity is going to happen at a time when a police officer is Not there to defend you, and the Supreme Court says it is not their resposibility to defend us either-that leaves us, the average, normal, responsible card carrying & law abiding ccw holders to fend for ourselves, our families & anyone else whom we see in need of assistance. I certainly hope this car carry bill goes through! Maybe we (the state) can see through the crap these chiefs are dishing out, and our representatives will represent us appropriately, and constitutionally, and vote in this legislation, which has been too long in coming!
:p

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
SB-24, as this bill is known, goes before the Senate Juditiary Committee at 4:00 pm at the Capitol Building Friday, February 17, 2006.
Please plan on either attending the hearing, or in writing the committee members:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

I contacted them by email this evening, I hope they read & pay attention to what each of us has to say. I further hope that they vote yes on this important issue. This issue deals with many other issues than just car carry and is an important piece of legislation which should be passed.

Of course, I did identify myself as a Senate Candidate for the 3rd District. Hopefully this will add more weight to their consideration of my thoughts on this issue. I feel it is always important to let our legislators know when we are representing self or community when we write them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ask the Police Chiefs or any beaurocrat that opposes the car-carry bill a) if they feel that the local or state police forces are resourced enough to protect ALL citizens at ALL times and under ALL circumstances from violent criminals, and b) furthermore, do they feel that honest law abiding citizens are deserving of such 24/7 protection. If their answers are a) NO and b) YES, then any further representations they might make opposing the car-carry bill are moot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts