Utah Guns Forum banner

How often do you clean your handgun?

• Only after I've been shooting or when I notice its dirty.

Votes: 36 90.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Quarterly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twice a year

• Annually

• We're supposed to clean them?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought this poll would be interesting...

:fudd:

·
Registered
226 Posts
I got a very mild OCD so I have to clean them each time I go shooting and if for some reason I don't go shooting that month I'll still clean it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
OCD here to. Any dirty tool drives me insane. I deep clean every time I shoot. I also run a swab down the barrel every night, and wipe the gun down with a silicone cloth after I've handled it.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I think the questions could be a little misleading, I clean it weekly, and after I shoot, and if I notice it's dirty.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
In the past, I have cleaned them after every outing. This changed in the last few weeks only because I have been shooting four times in about three weeks and I am planning on going again this Saturday morning. I will probably do a good cleaning after that.

Anyone interested in doing a Saturday shoot up at the PMAA range?

ian

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
I clean it after every shooting but if it's been more than 3-4 months since I've shot it, I'll take it out and rub it with some oil and get the dust bunnies out of the corners.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I also clean each time I shoot and when they are dirty - about every 6 months if stored. While it's rare for me to go more than a few weeks without shooting, if I ever do go that long, I usually clean my carry firearm. I can't stand seeing a dirty gun, even if it is just dust and lint on the outside.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I follow the advice I got from someone here... I clean it after every shoot and once a month if I didn't shoot that month... after shooting I do a deep cleaning... if it's just a monthly cleaning I just wipe down the outside and run a bit of new oil through the barrel and along the slide.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I clean after I have been shooting. Once a week will do a light clean and oil. After 1500 rounds will disassemble my PT1911 and do a deep clean and inspection.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I voted for after a shoot or if it looks dirty.

I clean my rifles after every range trip because I don't know how long it will be before they get shot again.

The pistols I just wipe it down after a trip to the range and maybe a tiny bit of oil on the contact points. I give them a good cleaning about every 500-1000 rounds.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I almost didn't know how to answer, I clean my guns every time i shoot them which is about once a week. so I could answer it two ways.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Same here... I clean it after every shooting session. I go shooting about once a week. If I'm bored and it seems dirty, I'll clean it then as well.

G

·
I guess I clean My XD whenever I feel like it, it shoots really well even if it is gunked up, so I guess I should be more attentive to it, but it hasn't given me reason to yet.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I love bore snakes. :D

Tarzan

·
Registered
542 Posts
sculptingmyguns said:
I guess I clean My XD whenever I feel like it, it shoots really well even if it is gunked up, so I guess I should be more attentive to it, but it hasn't given me reason to yet.
My cz has never given me problems when it's dirty, but I don't want have a problem because it's dirty when I really need it. besides a black mark on your shirt from a dirty gun isn't a fashion statement... although it could become one.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Tarzan1888 said:
I love bore snakes.
I've often thought about using one. Do you use them just for a quick barrel-cleaning and use rags for a deeper cleaning or do they work good enough to use exclusively (for the barrel of course)... ??? What about oiling... they work just as well for that too??

·
Registered
112 Posts
I clean mine after I shoot them. If I dont shoot them, they dont get dirty. My carry gun gets oiled about once a month if I havent shot it. Guns I havent shot in a while get oil when I shoot them. Tarzan is right, bore snakes are awesome! :shades:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
bane said:
Tarzan1888 said:
I love bore snakes.
I've often thought about using one. Do you use them just for a quick barrel-cleaning and use rags for a deeper cleaning or do they work good enough to use exclusively (for the barrel of course)... ??? What about oiling... they work just as well for that too??
They have not replaced the rest of my cleaning kit.......BUT they have reduced the time I spend cleaning.

The snake works well on a barrel and the feed ramp on an autoloader and on all my long guns. I still take them apart and clean the mechanism, unless I have only put a few rounds through it and then I just use the bore snake and you are done in seconds. I put a little cleaner down the barrel before I run the snake through it and I also put a little oil on the tail end of the snake.

The snake does not work as well on a revolver as on an autoloader.

It does fine on the barrel, BUT the cylinders are larger than the barrel and don't come as clean with the snake. On my Stainless revolver I still have to clean the cylinder face and the other exposed surfaces with a wire brush and solvent and I still have to use a separate wire brush to scrub the inner cylinder walls to get out the residue.

Short answer is that a bore snake is a good addition to your cleaning supplies. It is great on bores and saves the most time on long guns.

Tarzan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts