Utah Guns Forum banner

Problems with printing

4K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  bane 
#1 ·
I'm just writing to find out what the common consensus is out there regarding the handle of your firearm printing against your shirt.

I carry an Springfield XD40 Sub-compact with a CTAC holster. As long as I wear my holster at the 3 o'clock position, you cannot tell that I am packing. But the downside is that it is far less comfortable. If I move the holster to the more comfortable 4 o'clock position, the handle of my pistols prints against my shirt.

I have also tried packing holsterless. This is by far the least noticable and the least comfortable.

I have spent much time adjusting my CTAC and currently have it in the configuration that is most concealable.

What do ya'll feel about printing?
Am I using the wrong holster?
Do the majority of you out there packing print?

I'm not sure if it's a big deal or not.

Please tell me what you think.

-Focker

See less See more
#2 ·
I have also tried packing holsterless. This is by far the least noticable and the least comfortable.
Also the most dangerous

What do ya'll feel about printing?
Not a big deal. 70% of people will just think cellphone, the other 30% will already be carrying.

Am I using the wrong holster?
Yes. It you are worried about printing there are many other options (example: smartcarry, belly band, Thunderwear, bellypack, IWB, different cants)

Do the majority of you out there packing print?
I usually will print or OC. If I need to really hide it I will use a different holster.

I'm not sure if it's a big deal or not.
Legally... Not a big deal, there is no law in utah about printing. Your views are all that really matter when it comes to printing.

#3 ·
At first I was concerned about printing with my XD40 service and that was mostly when bending forward. Now I have a compact XD45 which so much better than that full size grip that it's really not an issue. Your subcompact is even smaller and really the only one noticing is you. I don't even consider it printing because at most people can only see a pokey thing sticking out. There is no way that it 'prints' the outline of a handgun. From what I understand, printing is when you can see the outline of the gun and it is identifiable as such. People aren't that observant because they aren't looking for it. I sometimes use a C.T.A.C. and I don't think it prints that much. I use a crossbreed IWB that I like better only because I find it more comfortable. I carry all mine at about 4 O'clock.

#4 ·
As xmirage2kx says, get a different carry method if you are worried about it.

I ankle carry and never print. (Some don't like the ankle carry method).
I also sometime pocket carry, (and never print) but that requires an even smaller gun.

-PW

PS. Sometimes my printer doesn't work.....but thats a computer problem.

#6 ·
Car Knocker said:
Perhaps slightly looser shirts with a pattern or in darker colors?
+1. I think the shirt is key. Most OWB seems to print-especially in bending forward. Nobody seems to notice or care with all the junk we all have on our belts now, but as pointed out above, if it really bothers you, try another method. As Natehunts points out, you are probably the only one noticing.
Al

#7 ·
I also carry with a CTAC (Taurus PT111) and have noticed similar issues. To me the occasional printing is something that I can live with because the majority of people that I am around either don't have an issue with it or aren't very observant. I do try to avoid bending over and generally crouch instead to avoid the obvious print.

The darker and/or pattern shirts in a loose fit really help the problem for me. If printing is a concern I will either take extra care in dress to limit the printing or use my SmartCarry or ankle holster.

#8 ·
Giving your situation additional thought generated additional thoughts:

1) What are you using for a belt? A good, purpose-made gunbelt works (at least for me) a whole lot better than a regular belt. It keeps the IWB holster tighter against my body and prevents the handgun grip from tilting out.

2) I know you said you had spent a lot of time adjusting the CTAC. Is it now at its lowest position with maximum forward cant?

#10 ·
Car Knocker said:

1) What are you using for a belt? A good, purpose-made gunbelt works (at least for me) a whole lot better than a regular belt. It keeps the IWB holster tighter against my body and prevents the handgun grip from tilting out.

2) I know you said you had spent a lot of time adjusting the CTAC. Is it now at its lowest position with maximum forward cant?
+1 on getting a gun belt. I didnt want to get one thinking that an $80-$150 belt was insane since I could get a good belt for $20. After getting one it is the difference between night and day. I didnt think a 1.5 inch strip of leather could make that big of difference.

#11 ·
One for for getting a gun belt. I use a wilderness original instructors belt. It works great and it's very sturdy. The belt I was using I had to tighten so tight just for the gun to fit properly and it was way too uncomfortable. I like this one for now (nice and inexpensive) but eventually i'd like a nice leather one.

#13 ·
Car Knocker said:

Thank you for the input guys.

I would agree with all points mentioned. I am most likely the one that most notices the handle of my pistol pushing on my shirt. As I watch people more closely now, I see that most people are wrapped up in their own lives and don't pay much attention to anyone else.

In answer to your questions.

1- I am just using a standard 1 1/2" leather belt. I was kind of rejecting the expensive gun belt just due to the cost. I will look into getting a better belt. I am also looking into getting a crossbreed super tuck holster. I have read good things about them.

2- Yes, I adjusted the CTAC as low as it will go with as much forward cant as I can give it. It sounds to me like it is the belt being an issue. That and me being relatively new to packing.

Thanks guys.

-Focker

#14 ·
There will almost always be some printing. I think you will find you are going to be the only one noticing it. It sounds like some really good advice has been given, especially about the gun belt. I would highly reccomend you check into it. They are well worth it.

#15 ·
I have a belt that I believe has not been available for some time. It is an Ernie Hill Speed Leather belt with a flexible steel insert on the holster side. Its pretty heavy leather even without the insert, but the thing is rock solid. I barely have to snug it. I carry a Beretta 8000 which is a bit heavy and I barely notice with my IWB holster. It works equally well with a pancake style holster.

With regard to printing, some things are just natural now. I usually bend my legs instead of bending over if I have to pick something off the ground, I usually reach overhead with my left hand and I tend to tuck my strong side elbow in when other people get a little too into my personal space. Just little changes you might make when you start carrying concealed. But after 11+ years I think about it as much as I do about walking.

#17 ·
Hey, thanks for the link for a good IWB for the XD... I just bought 2 others so I'll have to hold off for a bit, but I bookmarked that one so I can look into it in a month or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.