Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a student attending classes at SLCC. I plan to carry while on-campus with the pistol in my backpack. My question is how best to do this, specifically if there is a holster for this application or if I should carry it without a round in the chamber? The pistol is an SA XD9 SC.

I know that since the pistol will be in the backpack, I can't leave the backpack alone.

I would like to hear your thoughts and ideas. :)

ian
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,552 Posts
Honestly, I think that's an all-around bad idea. If you absolutely have no other option, then I think you need to keep the pistol unloaded. It just rings true as a bad way to go.

If I had my druthers, I'd pack it in an Intra Waistband holster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
ian husford said:
I am a student attending classes at SLCC. I plan to carry while on-campus with the pistol in my backpack. My question is how best to do this, specifically if there is a holster for this application or if I should carry it without a round in the chamber? The pistol is an SA XD9 SC.

I know that since the pistol will be in the backpack, I can't leave the backpack alone.

I would like to hear your thoughts and ideas. :)

ian
If you have to carry it in a pack.....Make it a fanny pack......Works for me.

Tarzan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,203 Posts
I would not carry anywhere but on my person. They make holsters that offer deep concealment that are recomended all over this site for any price range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
+1 to all of the "only carry on your body" comments. There are too many options to carry on your person to risk it being off of your person.
al
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
If you are going to put it in your bag, at least put it in a lock box. I would never leave a gun just lying around.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,791 Posts
+1 to keep the gun on you, not in your pack. Tell us why you are thinking of keeping your gun in your backpack and maybe we can offer some insight. The safest spot for a gun is on a competent individual. Backpacks get lost, stolen, and just plain forgotten about way too often.

-PW
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,331 Posts
I agree with all of the comments above. Your backpack is probably the most likely item to be stolen from you on any given day. The last thing you want is to arm an assailant with your own gun. It would probably take you 5 seconds minimum to get to and use your gun (add another 2 if you carry without one in the chamber). 7 seconds is enough time for half of your class to get shot. From a good concealed holster, you should be able to draw and shoot in about 1.5 seconds.

Regarding carrying with a round in the chamber - I always think that it is the best idea strategically, but only do it if you are comfortable with it. If you are not comfortable with it, then shoot and carry some more until you are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PW said:
Tell us why you are thinking of keeping your gun in your backpack and maybe we can offer some insight. -PW
I have already been convinced not to carry in the backpack. My thoughts on doing it was for better concealment than on my person but it just isn't right for many of the reasons previously mentioned. The best thing for me to do is to break down and actually exercise to lose some weight and get an IWB holster and a loose outer garment.

Thanks everyone for the input. :)

ian
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,791 Posts
ian husford said:
PW said:
Tell us why you are thinking of keeping your gun in your backpack and maybe we can offer some insight. -PW
I have already been convinced not to carry in the backpack. My thoughts on doing it was for better concealment than on my person but it just isn't right for many of the reasons previously mentioned. The best thing for me to do is to break down and actually exercise to lose some weight and get an IWB holster and a loose outer garment.

Thanks everyone for the input. :)

ian
Ian, there are lots of ways for fatties (I am one) to carry a gun concealed. There have been tons of posts about holster options. There are tuckable IWB holsters, normal IWB that all work with nothing more than any old t-shirt. Most people are not going to pay any attention to an IWB unless you pull your shirt up. Even then the top of a gun poking out of an IWB holster, may not even look like a gun to 90% of the public. Those that would know it is a gun probably won't even care. I personally carry in an ankle holster because I want even deeper concealment than a IWB provides. There are some drawbacks to it, but its the decision I have made. Just research some holster options here, then buy one and go for it. And for CRAP SACK, don't suggest loosing weight....you will make guys like me feel bad! :wink:

-PW
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,203 Posts
I carry a spare tire or 2 around with me, and have the extra problem of a very long torso (wide and tall, try finding shirts in xxltt) then the added issue of trying to carry. I often suggest buying the tall sizes to hide a gun. I find many people do not like buying a size bigger and with the tall sizes I know people who can fully conceal an OWB holstered 1911 and not look like they are wearing their big brothers hand me downs. Drop the seam of your shirt down 2 inches and it is amazing what you can hide. I use a cross breed supertuck and rarely have an issue (never if I wear an undershirt). Just look outside the box for answers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,600 Posts
Ian,

I also attend SLCC.
I am also a (little bit of a) fatty.
I also at one point considered carrying in my backpack, for the same reason as you have.
I also carry an SD9sc.
I also made a similar post here as yours.
I also rec'd almost the exact same feedback.

:lol:

In the end I purchased a SuperTuck for normal carry and a "SmartCarry" holster for when I need deep concealment. I got a better belt (and am in the process of getting an even better one), and started buying clothes a bit larger. I also got help here on how to best position my rig, which helped a ton.

My normal wear are jeans, a T-shirt or un-tucked polo-type shirt, and a levi-cut jacket. OCCASIONALLY the gun might show in class when bending over while seated... I do what I can to keep it from showing but figure if I accidentally reveal it... well, OOPS... but it's not illegal so I don't care much more than that.

Deciding to get rid of the pack helped me get over my feeling awkward carrying and not wanting ANYONE to know. Now I realize more than every that it is my right. I try to keep it concealed, but really that's just for tactical reasons and to not get "fingered" by some future BG who might live and work around me. But if I print or otherwise reveal I'm carrying I frankly don't care.

Just something to think about. Welcome to the club! I saw another guy last semester carrying (he was in the stall and was inadvertently displaying his gun UNDER the stall... heheh) too. It makes me wonder how many of us there are at SLCC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bane said:
It makes me wonder how many of us there are at SLCC.
One of the hired parking security guys (not the UHP guys) is a Midvale LEO and he estimates a couple hundred carry and he know about 10 personally.

In speaking with him, he feels it is good that citizens carry.

ian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts
If you speak to most road officers (Patrolman/women) they strongly support citiznes carrying. Its the administrators that have a tendancy to frown on this. I somewhat feel that it is because if the City Council/Mayor/City Manager se that all the citizens are protecting themselves, why have a PD? I know its far fatched and all but the Administration looks at things VERY VERY different than officers still working the streets. I have HUGE respect for Chiefs/Sheriffs who still work patrol. They know what its still like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,600 Posts
ian husford said:
bane said:
It makes me wonder how many of us there are at SLCC.
One of the hired parking security guys (not the UHP guys) is a Midvale LEO and he estimates a couple hundred carry and he know about 10 personally.

In speaking with him, he feels it is good that citizens carry.

ian
Huh. Well, that's a good thing to hear that. I like hearing that LEO's like that are among us!
 
G

·
Strategic Tactical said:
If you speak to most road officers (Patrolman/women) they strongly support citiznes carrying. Its the administrators that have a tendancy to frown on this. I somewhat feel that it is because if the City Council/Mayor/City Manager se that all the citizens are protecting themselves, why have a PD? I know its far fatched and all but the Administration looks at things VERY VERY different than officers still working the streets. I have HUGE respect for Chiefs/Sheriffs who still work patrol. They know what its still like.
Do you think this has anything to do with the idea that most administrators are either elected or appointed positions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,822 Posts
ian husford said:
PW said:
Tell us why you are thinking of keeping your gun in your backpack and maybe we can offer some insight. -PW
I have already been convinced not to carry in the backpack. My thoughts on doing it was for better concealment than on my person but it just isn't right for many of the reasons previously mentioned. The best thing for me to do is to break down and actually exercise to lose some weight and get an IWB holster and a loose outer garment.

Thanks everyone for the input. :)

ian
Hey buddy I am overweight too (obese) and I conceal with an outside the waistband holster every day at the 3:00 position as a student at the U.

When I go to newer movie theaters the holster works fine. For those theaters with smaller seats, I use an in the waist band holster at the 5:00 position. If those options don't work you can look at a smart carry holster or thunderwear. Personally I didn't like the effort required for me to draw from those holsters but you might like it.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top