Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a friend a while ago about reloading ammo and stuff, and he seemed to think that hand loading personal defense ammo was a bad idea. The premise of his argument was that the cops will think that since I was hand loading the bullets I was "trying to kill the guy" instead of just shooting to stop. Which in my mind if I'm going be shooting someone I want as much force, as I can get, and I don't really want them to get up anyway.

Besides the saving $$ aspect of hand loading, I enjoy hand loading so I keep hand loaded personal defense ammo in my baby eagle .40.

Just wondered what your thoughts are on this topic.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,167 Posts
As far as I know, there are no court cases to back up the idea that using handloads in a self-defense situation is a bad thing. However, as we have talked about on some other threads here, your best option is to use factory ammo in your self-defense guns - more as a reliability issue than a legal one.

I can see the idea being brought up about handloads by an ignorant lawyer (and believed by an ignorant jury), but I think that it's mainly speculation and not too much fact.

I use factory loads for self-defense and shoot the cheaper reloads in practice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts
+1 to what Dave said.

Use factory rounds for self defense, for reliability and mainly liability reasons. In court, an attorney WILL bring up the fact you load your own "man-killer" rounds, wether out of his ignorance or not, and he WILL try and convince a jury you were just itching to lay someone down with your special "human-hunter" loads. You won't need the extra grief in that situation.

I too enjoy re-loading and have confidence in my loads even though I am new to it. But, in "crunch time", I believe eliminating what CAN go wrong is definitely to your benefit. Remington Golden Saber 45. ACP for me please!

Take care~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
542 Posts
moyler said:
+1 to what Dave said.

Use factory rounds for self defense, for reliability and mainly liability reasons. In court, an attorney WILL bring up the fact you load your own "man-killer" rounds, wether out of his ignorance or not, and he WILL try and convince a jury you were just itching to lay someone down with your special "human-hunter" loads. You won't need the extra grief in that situation.

I too enjoy re-loading and have confidence in my loads even though I am new to it. But, in "crunch time", I believe eliminating what CAN go wrong is definitely to your benefit. Remington Golden Saber 45. ACP for me please!

Take care~
What they said.
I like black hills ammo get more for your money and they are highly ranked rounds.
9mm 124gr jhp +p
.357 158gr jhp
.45 acp 230 jhp +p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
I have heard a lot of arguments about this.

I carry only name brand reliability tested rounds in my personal defense guns because I know that they always go bang.

Tarzan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Use good quality factory stuff, like Dave said. You are going to be relying on this ammo to save your life if it ever comes to that. I run 230gr federal hydra shock in my 1911's. One important note here, what ever you use, regardless of whether or not its expensive, make sure it works in your gun. I have a springfield micro compact that doesnt like eating anything but FMJ. It went back to the factory once, but that didnt help. Im guessing I could have someone who knows what they are doing make it work, but I'm not that interested. My kimbers eat what ever I feed them, so that is what I will stick with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
I use to reload for personal defense, but now I buy it. Use to be to get a good PD load you had to reload. The ammo makers have done the testing and work, us reloaders had to. And their PD loads or so good now a days why reload PD ammo. I now use Federal HST in all my pistols. But I also have a good store of JHP bullets set back just in case the government starts going after PD ammo :D I only reload for the range now for my handguns.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
849 Posts
I have fired literally thousands of my own reloads, both rifle and pistol. They always go bang. What's the point?

I have never had a reload fail to cycle my XD 45. Can't say that for factory ammo.

Carry what you are comfortable with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts
James said:
What's the point?
Hand-loaded rounds=increased personal liability in a court of law. Period.

Re-load all you want and shoot the heck out of all you perfectly weighted and calibrated ammo. But to carry that round for personal defense, and to use it to defend yourself, stacks the case towards the prosecutions side. This is a fact, plain and simple. Why knowingly make things harder for yourself if you should have to then defend yourself in court? Factory defense rounds will make your case just that much easier to defend.

Best thing you can do is have plenty of certifiable pistol/arms training under your belt, and use factory made ammo to put the bad guy to rest.

IMHO, of course.~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,750 Posts
James said:
I have fired literally thousands of my own reloads, both rifle and pistol. They always go bang. What's the point?

I have never had a reload fail to cycle my XD 45. Can't say that for factory ammo.

Carry what you are comfortable with.
I carry premium factory loaded ammo (Federal Hydra-Shoks) and they have been excellent rounds with no issues. I also agree with James on this one. My experience has been that my reloads have always performed better than the lower cost factory loads and have been more reliable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,194 Posts
moyler said:
James said:
What's the point?
Hand-loaded rounds=increased personal liability in a court of law. Period.

Re-load all you want and shoot the heck out of all you perfectly weighted and calibrated ammo. But to carry that round for personal defense, and to use it to defend yourself, stacks the case towards the prosecutions side. This is a fact, plain and simple. Why knowingly make things harder for yourself if you should have to then defend yourself in court? Factory defense rounds will make your case just that much easier to defend.

Best thing you can do is have plenty of certifiable pistol/arms training under your belt, and use factory made ammo to put the bad guy to rest.

IMHO, of course.~
If you are going to state something as a fact will you please back it up? My question is how will theyknow they are reloads?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
995 Posts
I found an interesting article that pretty much agrees with everything I've been able to find on the subject. In short, there have been no cases that anybody can cite where using handloads has been used to put a negative light on a shooter involved in lawful self defense. There apparently have been cases related to whether or not a shooting was justified based on ballistics, at least one that I've been able to find.

As far as whether or not the investigators can tell that you're using reloads I would put all my money on yes they can, if they're looking... but you would've told them anyway if asked right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,331 Posts
althor said:
As far as whether or not the investigators can tell that you're using reloads I would put all my money on yes they can, if they're looking... but you would've told them anyway if asked right?
Yes, if under oath on the witness stand. If you're involved in a shooting, you don't volunteer any of this type of information to the police or investigators. The magic words are, "I feared for my life, so I stopped the threat. I'd rather not say any more until I can calm down and can speak to my lawyer." And that's all!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
995 Posts
apollosmith said:
althor said:
As far as whether or not the investigators can tell that you're using reloads I would put all my money on yes they can, if they're looking... but you would've told them anyway if asked right?
Yes, if under oath on the witness stand. If you're involved in a shooting, you don't volunteer any of this type of information to the police or investigators. The magic words are, "I feared for my life, so I stopped the threat. I'd rather not say any more until I can calm down and can speak to my lawyer." And that's all!
That goes without saying... who else would be asking?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts
James said:
Hand-loaded rounds=increased personal liability in a court of law. Period.
So sez?

Name the case please.
Put up or shut up, eh, James?? Unfortunately for me, mostly shut up. I appologize for loosely using the word "fact", I should have stuck with saying "my opinion". I spent a good 2 hours today doing research and as Althor points out, there is no (that I could find) precedence set where there was increased liability to a shooter using hand-loads in a defensive shooting. Knowing there are very zealous prosecuters out there and knowing jury's have awarded millions for spilt coffe, and acquited murderers on technicalities, this came as a big surprise to me.

At least to this point, until there is a precedence set, to each thier own. I will hop back up on the fence on this issue. (with factory ammo in my CCW)

Be safe~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
moyler said:
James said:
Hand-loaded rounds=increased personal liability in a court of law. Period.
So sez?

Name the case please.
Put up or shut up, eh, James?? Unfortunately for me, mostly shut up. I appologize for loosely using the word "fact", I should have stuck with saying "my opinion". I spent a good 2 hours today doing research and as Althor points out, there is no (that I could find) precedence set where there was increased liability to a shooter using hand-loads in a defensive shooting. Knowing there are very zealous prosecuters out there and knowing jury's have awarded millions for spilt coffe, and acquited murderers on technicalities, this came as a big surprise to me.

At least to this point, until there is a precedence set, to each thier own. I will hop back up on the fence on this issue. (with factory ammo in my CCW)

Be safe~
I can see the logic in saying that it could be an issue, as I saw on one of those TV investigation shows where they made a big thing about this lady shooting her husband with hollow points, BUT that is still not the issue with me.

I don't re-lode, but I have a bunch of re-lodes I have bought and I shoot them for practice, and I have had a lot more problems with them than I have had with good quality ammo.

I shoot what I know to go bang every time.

Tarzan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
I asked Mitch Vilos this while in his carry class. His response was that you are good to go. He knew of no case where hand loads were a liability. The only concern would be reliability and quality of your home brew loads. I like loading the Hornady xtp hollow points or the Speer gold dots. Good to practice with, acceptable to carry. I really wish more manufacturers would make their defense bullets available for reloading.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top