Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other night, my wife was freaked out when one of our son's sippy cups vibrated off the kitchen counter thanks to the dishwasher. The only weapon we have in the house is our Marlin Model 60 (not exactly the best for home defense), so I didn't even bother to get it out before going to investigate. After this experience, my wife expressed her desire to purchase a pistol. I explained to her a little about different calibers and the difference between a semiauto and revolver, and she decided that she wants a semiauto. She will be shooting her first 9mm this weekend (an XD9 sub-compact), so we'll see how that goes.

Anyways, we're tight on money, so I was thinking, being that my wife is very new to gun sports, it might behoove us to buy a Ruger 22/45 to get her familiar with handguns. Here are the pros I see:

1. Cheap ammo = more practice
2. Low recoil = more practice, less fear
3. Inexpensive gun = more ammo = more practice
4. Reliable gun = hassle-free, joy to shoot

There are some obvious cons:

1. Weak caliber = not the best home defense weapon
2. Hard to conceal
3. Not a pretty gun (I am a "performance before looks" guy, so this isn't a biggie for me)
4. Sets us back around $250, putting us further away from our Glock or XD

What do YOU think? Would it be worth our while to invest in a 22/45? Your opinions are greatly appreciated!

--Geoff

·
Registered
402 Posts
I own a Ruger 22/45. It is the latest handgun I have bought and I got it so my Wife and I could practice more and I could go to the local 22 matchs. It is reliable and very accurate. I have the 5.5 inch blued bull barrel model.

It is not a viable self defense firearm due to caliber in my opinion. My wife has a nine shot 22 revolver that she loves to shoot but she wanted to use it for home protection. I made her use my 357 mag revolver due to its bigger and more lethal bullets. I would suggest first getting your primary defense handgun in a 9/40/45. The 22 will help with your practice but if my choice was between a 22 or something bigger, I would go with the bigger caliber first and add the 22 later.

The problem I have encountered with women is they want the smallest lightest pistol that has very little recoil or noise but will blow a bad guy back 20 feet! If you wife wants a firearm for home defense, get a 9mm/38 or bigger caliber. My wife prefers revolvers so she would grab my 357 and the speed loader before she grabbed my 45 autos. If she wanted an auto, I would gladly get her one but the key is to let your wife decide which one she likes or wants.

I hope I haven't ramble to much.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Are you sure you want your wife having a gun if she got spooked from a sippy cup hitting the floor?

I bought my wife a p22 for her introduction to gun lovin' at smith and edwards they ran $279 or so, luckily i 've been prepping her by hiding in the shadows and scaring the crap out of her every now and then so she's not so jittery - I'll just have to stop once she starts carrying :crown:

G

·
I guess there may not be a real answer to your question honestly. maybe wait until she shoots the 9mm and see if she is comfortable enough w/ it that you don't need to worry about the .22 right now, but maybe later for cheaper practice and plinking. The 22/45 is a good gun. Durable, accurate and reliable. Agreed it certainly is not the optimal calibre for defense, but it is better than nothing and CCI makes some rounds that clock between 1400 and 1500 FPS and over 1600 FPS for the lighter ones. Those feed and shoot just fine from that gun and many people have been killed or scared off by a .22. If you are proficient w/ a .22 and shoot a higher velocity round, you can defend yourself w/ it. Not the optimal gun, but better than nothing. PS, you could also beat someone to death w/ that gun, it is heavy and durable.

IMO - the only downside to the ruger pistols is I found the disassemly/assembly to be a pain.

·
Registered
995 Posts
1400, 1500, 1600 fps... I'd like to see what those rounds actually get from something like a 3.5" P22. I have a P22 and have not shot anything that has gone supersonic. I haven't tried Stingers though as I don't want my slide to break in half.

IMO - the only downside to the ruger pistols is I found the disassemly/assembly to be a pain.
I read this a lot. I have to say that my experience is quite the opposite. I think that I could strip it down and reassemble it inside 10 seconds if I were trying.

I have the MK512 version... now with a 4-1/2" barrel that has been threaded. It is by far my favorite gun just ahead of my 10/22. I can shoot them all day and not go nearly as broke as I would with anything else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts