Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got out to shoot the Ruger LCP. This is the smallest gun I have ever shot so the grip and small sights where different than anything I have owned in the past. First off, I put over a hundred and twenty rounds thru the little LCP and had no malfunctions what so ever. Twenty where Hydrashock (my carry round until I can get some Corbon DPX or load up some Barnes XPBs) and the rest where Winchester white box 90 grain flat nose FMJ. The recoil was about the same, except with an upward roll, as shooting my S & W 642 in 38 spec. +P with 2” barrel, with the report being slightly less. Though the recoil was brisk (I guess you have to expect that in a 9.5 oz gun) the gun was very controllable. I didn’t notice any difference between the Hydrashock and FMJ as far as shoot-ability.

I had to work on my grip for this small gun. I barely got two fingers on the grip and had to figure out what to do with my thumb, it kept getting in the way of my trigger finger. I found it worked best to sort of stick it up a little, right next to the slide. By the end of the session I felt better about how it was feeling. The trigger was smooth, long but not bad, and is better stroked than slowly squeezed.

This is no target gun. The sights are very small and the sight radius is short, and I’m not a marksman. Most of the rounds were shot at 21 ft. and by the end I could keep 6 rounds in a four inch group. They all were left of center, so next time I will do some dead rest shooting to see if it is me or the gun. I do need more practice with this gun. At 50 ft I had to work to could keep them on an 8.5” X 11” target but they were scattered all over. I think I did better just by point shooting than to try and line up those tiny sights, and in the future that will be most of what I will be doing with this gun. They say that in a shooting situation people end up point shooting anyway, it would probably be good to practice that. I think that laser sights play to that tendency.
Conclusions; The LCP is reliable (so far), can hit a target and is very carry friendly. DPX ammunition would make this an acceptable self defense weapon that is reliable and easy to carry.

Scallywag
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
Scallywag, it that LCP double-action or single-action?

ian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ian, the trigger as Jeff stated is DAO. But there is no double strike on this. The slide has to be cycled to cock the hammer to the half cock position and feed a new round.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update on the LCP. I've run another two to three hundred rounds through it, with never a bobble (even with reloads). My daughter shot it and loved it. she was hitting a can out at about 15 yards, and she shot better shooting one handed with the left hand supporting her wrist. I'm well satisfied with the gun and it oh so easy to carry.

Scallywag
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts
I have an LCP as well. Mine has ran perfectly for enough rounds to consider it reliable for carry when clothing is at a minimum. Just toss it in your pocket and go. I use a Desantis pocket holster sometimes too.

It's not a long range target gun, but it was more accurate than I thought it would be out to 15 yards, and I find it quite easy to shoot.

Here's a link in case anyone wants more info: http://www.ruger.com/LCP/

I prefer 45 ACP, but this little gun serves just enough of a purpose for me to get one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,757 Posts
Outsider said:
I barely have room for my books.
Also, off-body carry has a lot of disadvantages.

I'm pretty sure you could carry your XD in a smart carry holster if you didn't want to buy another gun. Of course, if you want to buy another gun...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
swillden said:
Outsider said:
I barely have room for my books.
Also, off-body carry has a lot of disadvantages.

I'm pretty sure you could carry your XD in a smart carry holster if you didn't want to buy another gun. Of course, if you want to buy another gun...
Shh... it gives me an excuse to buy a new one. Don't tell the wife... shh...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,203 Posts
Outsider said:
swillden said:
Outsider said:
I barely have room for my books.
Also, off-body carry has a lot of disadvantages.

I'm pretty sure you could carry your XD in a smart carry holster if you didn't want to buy another gun. Of course, if you want to buy another gun...
Shh... it gives me an excuse to buy a new one. Don't tell the wife... shh...
I always get Great deals on guns... At least according to my wife. I save up money ($5-$20 here and there for months) without her knowledge and then I go out and get a deal on a gun...
Example: My sig cost $600. "But Honey, I got it for a steal at $250" :grinningjester:

Good thing she doesn't read the forum
 
G

·
xmirage2kx said:
I always get Great deals on guns... At least according to my wife. I save up money ($5-$20 here and there for months) without her knowledge and then I go out and get a deal on a gun...
Example: My sig cost $600. "But Honey, I got it for a steal at $250" :grinningjester:

Good thing she doesn't read the forum
You just described my PSP purchase I'd tuck away a little here and there till :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
I always get Great deals on guns... At least according to my wife. I save up money ($5-$20 here and there for months) without her knowledge and then I go out and get a deal on a gun...
Example: My sig cost $600. "But Honey, I got it for a steal at $250"

Good thing she doesn't read the forum
I know I could learn something valuable here! :ROFL:

1. Save money a little at a time and get a great deal on a gun
2. Don't invite my wife to check out the forum :ROFL:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
scallywag46 said:
I finally got out to shoot the Ruger LCP. This is the smallest gun I have ever shot so the grip and small sights where different than anything I have owned in the past. First off, I put over a hundred and twenty rounds thru the little LCP and had no malfunctions what so ever. Twenty where Hydrashock (my carry round until I can get some Corbon DPX or load up some Barnes XPBs) and the rest where Winchester white box 90 grain flat nose FMJ. The recoil was about the same, except with an upward roll, as shooting my S & W 642 in 38 spec. +P with 2” barrel, with the report being slightly less. Though the recoil was brisk (I guess you have to expect that in a 9.5 oz gun) the gun was very controllable. I didn’t notice any difference between the Hydrashock and FMJ as far as shoot-ability.

I had to work on my grip for this small gun. I barely got two fingers on the grip and had to figure out what to do with my thumb, it kept getting in the way of my trigger finger. I found it worked best to sort of stick it up a little, right next to the slide. By the end of the session I felt better about how it was feeling. The trigger was smooth, long but not bad, and is better stroked than slowly squeezed.

This is no target gun. The sights are very small and the sight radius is short, and I’m not a marksman. Most of the rounds were shot at 21 ft. and by the end I could keep 6 rounds in a four inch group. They all were left of center, so next time I will do some dead rest shooting to see if it is me or the gun. I do need more practice with this gun. At 50 ft I had to work to could keep them on an 8.5” X 11” target but they were scattered all over. I think I did better just by point shooting than to try and line up those tiny sights, and in the future that will be most of what I will be doing with this gun. They say that in a shooting situation people end up point shooting anyway, it would probably be good to practice that. I think that laser sights play to that tendency.
Conclusions; The LCP is reliable (so far), can hit a target and is very carry friendly. DPX ammunition would make this an acceptable self defense weapon that is reliable and easy to carry.

Scallywag
I agree with this assessment as far as the LCP is concerned. Things I specifically noticed is that the LCP would almost jump out of my hands when it fired, enough so that I had to reposition it. By adding the NAA finger rest to the magazines, the gun was so much more controllable. Here is the link on how to do that.

http://www.geocities.com/pocketguns/P32ext2.html

Except in the LCP's case, it is a direct replacement as has been already mentioned on this site somewhere.

I also plan to paint the sights so I can see them better. They are very small. The other thing I noticed is that the spent cartridge would eject almost straight up. Makes it a bit nicer since they aren't being sprayed on to the shooter on your right.

ian
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top