Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
S&W M&P Compact 9mm VS. Springfield XD Subcompact 9mm

Just a question for ya'll. My girlfriend is still in search for her perfect pistol. We are currently looking at the 9mm category, and have a couple in mind (the two noted above). Does anybody have experience with the S&W? I have shot the XD sub, but don't know much about the Smith. She likes the way the S&W feels in her hand, which I know is important, but we are also looking for a great performing firearm for her protection. Let me know what you all think about these to help us out with the decision. Thanks fellow carriers!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Personally, I don't think I could possibly find any distinct advantage of one over the other. They are very similar, so toss a coin and pick one - she'll be very happy with either. If she likes the feel of the S&W over the XD, that might be just enough to tip the scales.

The S&W is longer (6.7" to the XD's 6.25") due to the 3.5" barrel (the XD's is 3"). Some might argue the barrel length will affect accuracy, but the XD has proven itself a very capable shooter.

S&W is shorter (4.3") compared to the XD (4.75"), but the S&W has 12+1 compacity compared to the XD's 10+1 (or 16+1 with the extended mag). Part of this is due to the sight/grip angle that XD lovers rave about - it's very easy and natural to aim. The grip on the S&W is VERY short in my opinion and is more difficult for those with large hands than the XD. Probably not a problem for your GF.

The XD has a softer trigger.

The S&W has no safety. If she reaches in her purse and pulls the trigger it will go boom. The XD has a grip safety which means it has to be held to fire, but this also introduces more parts that could potentially fail. The S&W comes with an optional magazine safety - if the mag is ejected, it will not fire (useful in a gun grap or scuffle where you're about to lose your gun).

You'll probably pay a bit more for the S&W.

See, it's really a toss-up!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have thought of getting a sub compact 9mm. I am going to wait to take a look at the Taurus PT709, coming out later this year. Read the review in Handgun magazine and liked it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
So based on your post you are looking for a small double stack striker fire 9mm? Or are you open to firearms not in that catagory?

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ramiguy said:
So based on your post you are looking for a small double stack striker fire 9mm? Or are you open to firearms not in that catagory?
We are looking at the double stack striker 9mm's. I have a few with the exterior hammer and she doesn't like them very much. Don't want a revolver for her yet, that will probably come later for a plinker. We went down to Doug's and looked over a few, and those are the two she is deciding on. I'm thinking it will probably be the S&W M&P, cuz that's what feels good in her hands. I was just wondering if people had some idea of how nice they were. I shot one of their lower level pistols with the hinged trigger safety and I thought it was pretty low class, but don't know if they have fixed that for the M&P model.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
That was probably the Sigma, an ergonomic glock copy. Not sure how the trigger pull compares to a glock though.

The M&P is better than the Sigma from everything I have heard.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I had an XD Subcompact and have shot the M&P Compact. The only difference I could tell was that the trigger on the XD was better. My wife liked the XD for what it's worth.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think you've gotten some good and accurate advice, and you'd probably be happy with either. Although you asked about the compact model, I have carried a fullsize M&P 9mm for some time now and love it. I am very happy with my choice. I would've probably preferred the compact, but my hands are a bit too big and I never felt "in control" handling the weapon.

The XD models were also on my list to look at since they are nice guns and many people love them. I will say that there are some features of the M&P that I like over the XD (although the same could be said about the XD over the M&P), but I don't know whether or not the M&P compact is the same. These M&P features include:

* I like the M&P's "feel" and the grip a little better than the XD
* I like that the take-down lever is recessed (does not stick out)
* I like that the rear sites are flush with the back of the gun
* I like that you don't have to pull the trigger to disassemble
* I like the 3-position rails
* I like the higher capacity
* I like the black melonite finish

Also, the hinged-trigger has never bothered me or caused any problems. I will say that the new XD(M) has added many of the features to the XD that I just mentioned.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know it is late to be adding to this thread but what I add may be useful to someone else who comes across this tread while searching like I did.

This spring I had the same questions about what compact 9mm to get. Along with several others I looked at the XD and S&W and ended up going with the S&W. Here are my reasons and they are entirely subjective. I'm sure your milage will be different.

* I found it easier to rack the S&W. This may not be something you guys think about, but for me there are some automatics where it takes all of my strength and a struggle just to rack the slide to load the first round. For me the S&W defiantly took less effort than the XD. While this isn't critical if I need to use the gun while carrying it does make a difference in my enjoyment of the gun when practicing.

* For me the S&W felt better. I went to the smallest grip insert and it felt the best of the two guns (actually all the guns I tried). It still feels fat in my hand but that is likely due to my being use to shooting a single stack .45.

* I liked the sights of the S&W better. Though I liked Glock sites even better and I may end up with after market sites in the long run. This is a really subjective area.

* (Truly subjective one here) The guns of my childhood were S&W and I always liked them. OK, so they were revolvers and we are talking semi-auto here. I still like the S&W name. I'm really hoping they have gotten their quality back up to what it once was.

What don't I like about it...

The trigger. Though it isn't that bad. It is just that I'm use to revolvers and a .45 so to have the take up of the hinged safety and the 'sprong' of the striker fired gun has taken a little to get use to.

I looked at a lot of guns before I decided on the S&W. I made my choice because it was the one that had the most pluses for me. I really don't think you would go wrong with any of the name brand guns. If my only choice had been a Glock, or XD, or Sig, or Walther I wouldn't have been upset.

I should add that I have been happy with my purchase. So far the gun hasn't had a single malfunction. I shoot the S&W faster and more accurately that I shoot my .45 (though I suspect a lot of that has to do with getting older). It is an accurate gun. At the self defense ranges I practice at I hit what I am for and I'm not the best shot in the world.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts