Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,195 Posts
I may not use a Glock, but I do not personally think the use of such a device is good at all. I agree with Hunter on this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,203 Posts
The only time I could ever see using something like this while carrying would be if I were to Mexican carry a Glock. That being said I would NEVER Mexican carry a Glock. Thus it is a worthless product. If my carry method could possibly pull the trigger of my gun (regardless of make/model) then I need a new carry method.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
xmirage2kx said:
The only time I could ever see using something like this while carrying would be if I were to Mexican carry a Glock. That being said I would NEVER Mexican carry a Glock. Thus it is a worthless product.
Could you enlighten some of us novices as to what is "Mexican carry".

And I am so glad I read that a second time. The first time it just didn't make sense, not letting a Mexican carry a Glock. :oops:

ian
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,167 Posts
ian husford said:
Could you enlighten some of us novices as to what is "Mexican carry".
Mexican Carry: To carry a pistol inside the waistband with no holster, typically between the 11-o-clock and 1-o-clock position.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,203 Posts
GeneticsDave said:
ian husford said:
Could you enlighten some of us novices as to what is "Mexican carry".
Mexican Carry: To carry a pistol inside the waistband with no holster, typically between the 11-o-clock and 1-o-clock position.
+1

It usually is a bad idea with any gun, but Mexican carrying guns with a passive safety is an even worse idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
I purchase a Saf-T-Blok last year. I was skeptical; however, I liked the idea and thought I would risk trying it. It didn’t work with any of my holsters (all three of them). Each holster dislodged the thing. So now it sits in my gun-accessory box collecting dust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
If you dont feel comfortable carrying locked and loaded then you shouldnt. with enough training you can easily draw, chamber, and fire quickly and accurate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
xmirage2kx said:
GeneticsDave said:
ian husford said:
Could you enlighten some of us novices as to what is "Mexican carry".
Mexican Carry: To carry a pistol inside the waistband with no holster, typically between the 11-o-clock and 1-o-clock position.
+1

It usually is a bad idea with any gun, but Mexican carrying guns with a passive safety is an even worse idea.
Actually my son took a glock in .45 cal. and used the pocket clip (3rd party accessory), a heavy 8.5 lb "New York" trigger and the trigger block to create a very concealable and safe method of carry without a holster. HOWEVER - if you don't have that much experience around Glocks - I would not recommend this mode of carry (i.e. Don't try this at home kids).

It was needed for a deep cover back-up carry. And it works.

Regards,
GS
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,167 Posts
shadeslanding said:
Actually my son took a glock in .45 cal. and used the pocket clip (3rd party accessory), a heavy 8.5 lb "New York" trigger and the trigger block to create a very concealable and safe method of carry without a holster. HOWEVER - if you don't have that much experience around Glocks - I would not recommend this mode of carry (i.e. Don't try this at home kids).

It was needed for a deep cover back-up carry. And it works.
I've heard and seen this before. The little clip that goes on the side of you Glock slide. It allows you to clip the gun directly onto your pants or belt without a holster. I still don't think that's smart, it allows dirt and dust bunnies to get into your gun and it has the potential of partially cycling your slide if you push down on the grip (when trying to achieve a grip for drawing you could partially cycle the slide and jam a round just when you need to gun to work).

The heavier trigger pull is smart if there is no other physical safety, however, it does make reaction time longer when attempting to fire the weapon and it's really not a necessary addition for a gun such as a Glock.

The Blocks are a terrible invention that were designed to either fix a faulty gun design or faulty user handling. You should never need something like this if you obey firearm safety rules and have ANY experience with a Glock-style firearm.

If he was trying to carry in deep concealment, a soft-style holster would have been MUCH better than carrying "Mexican style" as it would have provided a safe method to carry a NORMAL (unmodified) Glock. The holster not only covers the trigger guard thereby eliminating the need for a heavy trigger and safe-t-block, but it also can be sewn into a garment such that there is no clip hanging out for someone to see. Finally, soft holsters mask the shape of a firearm and diminish the sharp outline a gun can create when concealed, so it would have been a better idea.

I don't recommend that anyone use this style of carry unless you are:
  • Very, very cautious!
    Know the weapon you are carrying inside and out
    Carry this way simply because necessity required you to carry more firearms than you have holsters for and you have run out of suitable pockets
This information is not meant to offend anyone, especially shadeslanding, it's just meant to illustrate that there are many preconceived notions out there that are just plain wrong, and quite frankly, dangerous. With a little research and ingenuity, one can conceal very effectively and safely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
I don't recommend that anyone use this style of carry unless you are:
  • Very, very cautious!
    Know the weapon you are carrying inside and out
    Carry this way simply because necessity required you to carry more firearms than you have holsters for and you have run out of suitable pockets
This information is not meant to offend anyone, especially shadeslanding, it's just meant to illustrate that there are many preconceived notions out there that are just plain wrong, and quite frankly, dangerous. With a little research and ingenuity, one can conceal very effectively and safely.
No offense taken. As I said... this form of carry is not for those who are not intimately familiar with their weapon. It was a very good deep cover mode of carry where other modes would have been unavailable.

Personally, the best safety for any gun including the Glock is your brain and NOT engaging the trigger until the target has been identified and engaged. And any modern combat gun should have a holster that completely covers the trigger. But you have to be creative sometimes for an application that would not allow a holster.

The trigger block and NY trigger combined work well with the pocket clip (looks like a knife clip).

I respectfully disagree with the assesments of the trigger block. If you have a specific application as I've described, then yes they serve a purpose. At other times (i.e. normal carry), I would tend to agree with you and pass on the trigger block. To me it's benign. Neither good nor bad nor is it needed except in special applications.

GS
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top