Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took this new toy up to the gun range. I was basically the only one there again. :D

Loaded up five Remington Premier Magnum 17HMR, 17 grain, AccuTip-V, Boat Tail, plastic point, bullet and shot at the target at 50 yards. These targets are regulation 25-yard pistol targets, the black area is BIG. I missed the BIG BLACK area five times. :dunno: Then ten times. :huh: I thought this rifle was bore-sighted. I went down range and discovered all ten holes in the bottom left corner. Great grouping but way off. Dave told me that with a 1/4 MOA that four clicks was about one inch. I moved the reticule about eight clicks up and to the right. The grouping didn't move two inches. It moved a lot less. I guess I moved one up almost one complete turn and the other one right about 3/4 turn.

By the time I had a decent grouping just below the bullseye, I had shot up 50 rounds. Dave then took a look through the scope. Turns out that the scope was rotated. (I am hoping that I could still site the rifle in and then move the scope later. I will find out at my next session.) My next bullets were Hornady Magnum, 20 grain XTP bullet. These have a hollow point. I only shot five rounds, all ending up about an inch high and to the right so I am averaging the bullseye. I stopped shooting after this round. After checking both my targets, I figured each grouping was no more than 2" and a couple were about an inch.

There is very little recoil, rather like a .22 since it was developed from the 22 magnum. The 4x scope is OK and has a focus on it. I was able to see the bullet holes at 50 yards as long as I hit the black. Changing the reticules is mediocre. They are well marked but the clicks are hard to feel. The magazine is not so great. It is easy to load and easy to remove but putting back into the gun was somewhat tedious. It wasn't always smooth and sometimes had to be pulled back out and reinserted with better alignment and a bit more persuasion. I feel that Savage should re-engineer that magazine.

Cleaning the gun was interesting. I do have a small brass brush and rod made just for this small caliber but I don't have anything to hold a cleaning cloth. So I asked myself what could I use to swab down the inside of the barrel to clean it? Duh! How about a cotton swab? It worked great. I cut them in half and stuck the stick in the hold of the cleaning rod and shoved it through. Obviously I couldn't pull the rod back out but as long as I pushed it through, it was fine.

Overall, I like the rifle. Once I get it sighted in for one particular bullet, I should be fine for small varmits and and those vicious cans and such. (Ever been attacked by a can? The can really give you a nasty cut!)

ian

p.s. I plan on going up to the Hendricksen range again on Friday about 1 pm if anyone is interested. Also, said range is scheduled to be closed next week from Tuesday, July 15 to Friday, July 18th, for a police shoot of some sort.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
What brand of scope do you have?

MOA is approximately one inch at 100 yards but at 50 yards it is half of that. In order to move one inch at 50 yards you would double the amount of clicks on your scope or sight. Depending on the quality of the scope it should move where you adjust it every time.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a Simmons 4x32 scope. It seems to be good so far.

Yes, the holes in the target slowly progressed up and to the right as I turned the dials and considering what you just said about the MOA, they moved appropriately. Thanks for the information.

ian

G

·
I'm curious to see what kind of accuracy yours is capable of. I have a CZ 452 varmint w/ 3-9x40 Nikon prostaff scope that is ridiculously accurate. I haven't tried it out on critters yet, but it did a number on an old cell phone and palm pilot.

Not to hijack your thread, but my barrel is free floated and the manual says don't rest the gun on the front sling swivel thingy (for lack of the correct term) , as it will affect accuracy. so my question is, if that is true, does that mean if you attach bipod to that swivel and shoot front the bipod, the gun is not as accurate as it is w/o it resting on the bipod? Is this common?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm curious as to its accuracy also but I am still working on siting it in. It may take a few weeks because of time constraints. As for the free floating barrel and whether or not I should rest it on the swivel anchor, I am not sure. I seem to have misplaced the instructions already. :oops: :bang: But hey, I'm a guy, who needs instructions anyway? :huh:

Well, OK, I guess I could use some so I did check out Savage Arms website and found the instructions for said rifle. Included in the same pdf file were entries for three other rifles so it was a very generic instructions manual.

ian

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Simmons makes good scopes. I have had one on my AR and one on my Rem 700 VS for the last 10 years without an issue. 8)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts