Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I had a question, since my sister in law might be getting a security job. Does Utah law prohibit a person licensed as an unarmed security officer from carrying a concealed firearm if they have a concealed firearm permit?
From everything I know there is no law restricting such. Individual companies who hire security, or the security company themselves though, may have their own rules which may include termination if found to be carrying a concealed weapon. Tough it is lawful to do so (carry your ccw weapon) you could lose your job. Perhaps she ought to look at working for Brinks or Loomis, at least they allow open carry of a firearm and won't terminate you for it.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
FM16;

Who is DOPL? And what authority have they? I personally have never heard the anacronym, or a reference to such a place/group/company/agency or firm.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Thanks CarKnocker. That site helps. Lots of info I was unaware of. I guess if you did carry and weren't licensed to carry "on the job'" even if you had a ccw, they could yank your license as a "threat to the public welfare," if they so desired. It also appears that you must obtain one of two types of licenses to do security work, these include non-lethal and lethal (gun) rights per license. These must be approved by the division after application. Anyhow, this site definitely lets you know what will happen to you if found to be violating that license. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
It seems like the question might be, "should I license myself for both armed & unarmed guard duties, and if so would this jeopardize my security job if I were working as an unarmed guard being licensed to do both, if I legally carried my ccw piece and were discovered to be doing so by my employer?"
Is that about right? It seems that it would be better to be licensed to do both but how would that really translate to those in control?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts