Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
289 Posts
NRA's 007, I've been trying to figure out how shooting regular ammo would start a fire. Lead against rock? Copper jacket against rock? I don't see how. BUT I do believe that it happens.

Not too many weeks ago, there was a fire started here in SLC at the Lee Kay Shooting Range. Somehow, a fire was started on the 100 yd berm, and no one seems to know just how it started... except that it did! It's a mystery. The manager out there (a VERY pro-gun person) was cautioning people to make sure their shots were going into the bare-of-vegetation area of the berm behind the targets.

I have relatives in Saratoga Springs and Eagle Mountain who enjoy shooting in the mountains to the west and north of their places. Yes, they would like to do some shooting. But they'd rather NOT shoot for awhile than take a chance of having their homes burn down.

Surely you don't think the Utah County government is banning shooting just to be mean, do you? It's the fire officials, knowledgeable people who sincerely believe shooting out there might start a fire, who recommended the ban to the county government.

Now about tracer ammo... Shooting tracer ammo into dry brush most assuredly will start a fire. Surely you're not railing against the ban of tracer ammo, are you?

· Registered
289 Posts
I'll be glad to see a copy of the ordinance. At this point, I seriously doubt the ordinance comes right out and says something like, "If you fire a gun in self-defense, you will be in violation of this ordinance."

If that's what it says, I'd agree that it is too far-reaching. But at this point, I don't believe it.

· Registered
289 Posts
Last Friday, someone I know who works for the Division of Wildlife Resources told me that there are five (5) counties closed to the discharge of firearms now: Salt Lake (which has been pretty much closed for quite a while), Utah, Davis, Tooele, and I think the other one he mentioned was Juab County. He said it was because of the extreme fire danger.

I said, "Tooele!!?? I've shot a lot out there."

"Yes," he said, "it's closed now."

Has anyone else heard about these other closures?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.