Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Apparently, these Unitarian Universalists were targeted simply because their church holds liberal viewpoints. One of the posters on KSL put it best:

"He probably just saw that church as a symbol of everything he hated.

But instead, he became a symbol of everything that is wrong with hate."
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=157&sid=3873500

Police: Man shot churchgoers over liberal views
July 28th, 2008 @ 10:18am

By DUNCAN MANSFIELD
Associated Press Writer

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - An unemployed man accused of opening fire with a shotgun and killing two people at a Unitarian church apparently targeted the congregation out of hatred for its liberal social policies, police said Monday.

Knoxville Police Chief Sterling Owen IV said a letter had been been recovered from the SUV of Jim D. Adkisson, 58, by investigators seeking clues about the motive behind the attack. Authorities said he was an apparent stranger to the Tennessee church where gunfire punctuated a children's performance based on the musical "Annie." Two people were killed and seven wounded Sunday.

"It appears that what brought him to this horrible event was his lack of being able to obtain a job, his frustration over that and his stated hatred of the liberal movement," Owen said at a news conference.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Evidence indeed. :disgusted:

God takes care of those who take care of themselves. Denying me the right to do that is denying me the opportunity to do that which I believe God expects from me.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
bane said:
Evidence indeed. :disgusted:

God takes care of those who take care of themselves. Denying me the right to do that is denying me the opportunity to do that which I believe God expects from me.
:agree: +1

I agree whole heartedly with Bane on this. Being LDS both ancient and modern scripture supports this philosophy. We are to protect our lives and our families lives or we are not in obedience to His laws. Life is sacred and as such we have a huge obligation to be obedient to that. To be denied the right to do so regardless of any stated reason defies this in my opinion and reduces the sacredness of life. We owe it to ourselves, our families and our friends (even those we may not know) to be prepared and willing to defend us and them wherever we may be. Being denied the right to carry lawfully concealed while attending church in some respects feel near to a mockery of Supreme Dictate and Law.

Think about it? Are we as law abiding citizens really a threat? No. Does carrying lawfully concealed arms really infringe on everyone else's right to worship as they seem fit to do? No. Or does this denial of a right and religious obligation to be able to defend oneself even unto bloodshed speak more towards appeasement of the mindless anti-self defense crowd of liberals? Yes. I have fought against this law because it denies our basic God-given right to self defense and of possibly our life. Look the the incident in the LDS Parking lot this past year. Did that woman who died, or those standing around or running for cover, have a right to self defense, or of defense of another? Yes. But that right was denied them. To me there seems to be an ignominious darkness to denial of rights we all have had since the beginning of time. We ought to be able to defend our lives at anytime wherever we are. If the weapon is concealed legally what does it matter? Will anyone be "afraid" because of a man or woman with a gun? No. They simply don't need to know. If their life is saved because one person is able to save them, and their congregation, from a gun, knife or bomb wielding criminal shouldn't they they be able to then be grateful that they are still alive to continue living their lives as they see fit, and in preparing themselves for when they are destined to meet God? Yes.

I support eliminating this "law" because to me it violates the basic tenets of our constitution both of the State and of the Country. I would support defeating it whether I do or do not wear a concealed firearm while attending church. And Lord knows, even if you are okay' d to at least be able to carry a knife while in attendance at church functions and worship meeting, you don't bring a knife to a gun fight! It is the last arm of a desperate person when all else has been used in defense of self.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
This is why I do not agree with the LDS church's standing on CCW. I have stated my fills to them, at both the administration and ward level. I take mine and my wife's safety seriously. I will not say if I do or do not carry in church, but I will do what I have to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts