Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here it is folks, another crazed teen terrorizes a school and at least 7 reported dead.

:cry:

7 Dead in Finland School Shooting
Wednesday, Nov. 07, 2007 Article

At least seven people were killed Wednesday after an 18-year-old man opened fire at a high school in southern Finland, a medical official said.

"It's at least seven dead," medical response leader Eero Hirvensalo told The Associated Press. Another person was "severely injured," while 10 other people had minor injuries, Hirvensalo said.

A municipal official said earlier that some students remained inside the school. Police said the situation was "under control," indicating they were not being held hostage.

It was the first known school shooting in Finland, where gun ownership is fairly common by European standards, but shootings are rare. "Some of the pupils have managed to escape from the school but others are still inside," Hagman said.

She said more than 400 students between the ages of 12 and 18 were enrolled. "The situation is under control," said police spokesman Tero Haapala, adding that "there is no danger to outsiders now."

Police did not confirm that someone had been killed.

Prime Minister Matti Vanhanen described the situation as "extremely tragic" and said the government would hold an emergency meeting.

Kim Kiuru, a teacher at the school, said the principal announced over the public address system just before noon that all students should remain in their class rooms. "I stayed in the corridor to listen to more instructions, having locked my classroom door," Kiuru told the YLE radio station. "After that I saw the gunman running with what appeared to be a small-caliber handgun in his hand through the doors towards me, after which I escaped to the corridor downstairs and ran in the opposite direction."

Kiuru said he saw a woman's body as he fled the building. "Then my pupils shouted at me out of the windows to ask what they should do and I told them to jump out of the windows, which were at a level of 1 1/2 floors, and all my pupils were saved," Kiuru said.

I don't know what the laws are like in Finland however, it stands to reason that if concealed carry were allowed in the schools, at least one man may have been able to have taken out the criminal, rather than being forced to flee.

Truly tragic.
:cry:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Laws are only a guide to the honest.

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
This is very tragic and sad.

xmirage2kx said:
Laws are only a guide to the honest.
So very true.

Now, if they follow the typical knee-jerk reaction, the public will call for more gun-control in Finland ... which will not prevent this sort of thing.

Has anybody noticed that it was after more stringent gun-controls were put in place here in the U.S. during the Clinton administration that school shootings dramatically rose here?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Jeff Johnson said:
Has anybody noticed that it was after more stringent gun-controls were put in place here in the U.S. during the Clinton administration that school shootings dramatically rose here?
The more restricted the honest people are the more the dishonest will exploit them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts