Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this is in the wrong area.

Can you head up into the hills along the wasatch front and shoot?

whats the rules and laws?

What about any hike. laws about being away from a trail?

Where can you shoot in the wilderness?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,563 Posts
Where can you shoot in the wilderness?
Anywhere it is not specifically prohibited. You need to check for any rules/regulations/laws promulgated by the controlling legal authority (or authorities) of the area you want to shoot in.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,553 Posts
Shooting within Salt Lake County is unlawful. And unless you are heading WAY up into the mountains, like into Park City, or past ALL of the local ski areas, you are still within Salt Lake County boundaries.

National Forests (Cache/Uinta/Wasatch, etc.) are generally fine for shooting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I am trying to remember where I read the information, but I remember the info very well. In Davis County, it is illegal to discharge a firearm on the west side of the front unless you are shooting for protection (ie killing a mountain lion) if you are not at an established range. Now I am having trouble finding this information again, but understand it is because of the population. I carry a 40S&W and my best friend carries a P22, he shoots the snakes since it is small and quiet and I am armed for most anyting else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
tapehoser said:
Shooting within Salt Lake County is unlawful.
Not living on the Wasatch Front that is news to me. Is that a State law or something that the County enacted? Because it is my understanding that no municipality, county, etc can enact laws on firearms that are more restrictive than the State law.

Someone please enlighten me on how this works. :nilly:

I need to pick up a copy of Mitch's Gun Laws book... :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
heavykevy said:
it is my understanding that no municipality, county, etc can enact laws on firearms that are more restrictive than the State law.
That may be true, but the law will remain in force and enforced unless it's challenged legally.

You can't shoot in the hills above Pleasant Grove/Lindon, for example, because of P.G. laws against discharge within city limits... and the limits go up quite a ways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,757 Posts
heavykevy said:
Because it is my understanding that no municipality, county, etc can enact laws on firearms that are more restrictive than the State law.
State law does allow municipalities and counties to regulate discharge of firearms. Most (all?) cities ban shooting in city limits and that's how they can do it.

I don't know if Salt Lake County has banned shooting in the whole county, but they could.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
613 Posts
heavykevy said:
tapehoser said:
Shooting within Salt Lake County is unlawful.
Not living on the Wasatch Front that is news to me. Is that a State law or something that the County enacted? Because it is my understanding that no municipality, county, etc can enact laws on firearms that are more restrictive than the State law.

Someone please enlighten me on how this works. :nilly:

I need to pick up a copy of Mitch's Gun Laws book... :shock:
Yes, get a copy of Mitch's book. There is a map in there with some good local prohibitions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
where is this book?

So I can't just go up to corner canyon or something then?

Dang.

Humm...

I am tired of get some guns and ammo range. Its okay priced I guess, but always so crowded and everyone seems to take extreme joy in in shooting anything magnum. Annoying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
You can also pick up a Utah big game proclamation at most Walmarts (at the sporting goods counter). The areas listed as legal to hunt in SL County should be safe for plinking when there is no hunt in progress.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,553 Posts
Ruger Collector said:
You can also pick up a Utah big game proclamation at most Walmarts (at the sporting goods counter). The areas listed as legal to hunt in SL County should be safe for plinking when there is no hunt in progress.
I don't think that's correct. In my Big Game proclamation some of the boundaries come right down into the eastern section of the Salt Lake Valley. I doubt county authorities would approve of hunting deer in Sandy. I'll have to look through a few more things before I respond. Gotta get those facts straight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
humm...geeze.

Does anyone just take their 22 out and plink?

I didn't realize it was this complicated. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,791 Posts
wild cat mccane said:
humm...geeze.

Does anyone just take their 22 out and plink?

I didn't realize it was this complicated. :)
Yes. I shot about 350 rounds out of my P22 last Saturday and just bought 1000 rounds today. I forget how fun the .22 is to shoot. Although I don't go hiking to plink...i just drive 5 minutes to the free range near my house and then I "plink"...and actually its more like rapid fire as much as possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,203 Posts
wild cat mccane said:
humm...geeze.

Does anyone just take their 22 out and plink?

I didn't realize it was this complicated. :)
I go out west, less messy than the mountians.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,563 Posts
I particularly enjoy the mountain range (Lakeside Mountains) between the GSL and the Lakeside exit. Ruins, antelope, fossils, etc. Distinct lack of trees, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so wasatch front and plinking equals getting into trouble then?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,553 Posts
wild cat mccane said:
so wasatch front and plinking equals getting into trouble then?
Yup, unless you are at an approved shooting range, you'd better not discharge a firearm within Salt Lake County.

Just head southwest into Utah County and find some deserted place (sans houses) west of Utah Lake. Or you can head up into the mountains past Park City and do the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
tapehoser said:
wild cat mccane said:
so wasatch front and plinking equals getting into trouble then?
Yup, unless you are at an approved shooting range, you'd better not discharge a firearm within Salt Lake County.

Just head southwest into Utah County and find some deserted place (sans houses) west of Utah Lake. Or you can head up into the mountains past Park City and do the same.
Shooting is perfectly legal on Forest Service land......Just be sure you are on forest Service land and follow the rules they have for the discharge of firearms.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/wcnf/maps/maps.shtml#saltlake

Fireworks and Firearms
Fireworks and explosives are prohibited in National Forests. Only persons with a permit from the Forest Service may engage in these types of activities.
Firing a gun is not allowed: a) in or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site, or occupied area; b) across or on a road or body of water; c) in any circumstance whereby any person may be injured or property damaged.

Here is a generalized map showing the Forest Service ground along the Wasatch Front, http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/wcnf/maps/slrd/index.shtml This is an interactive map and if you click on the area of interest it will give you a detailed map of the area. There is a lot of private land up to the East of Salt Lake and private land is usually off limits. In many cases you would have to cross Private land to get to some public land that you can shoot on.

Tarzan
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top