Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I agree. I don't see any logic behind arguments that citizens shouldn't be allowed to take certain courses. I know of quite a few ex-military who took some classes similar to the ones you offer in order to prepare to be serious candidates for PD's.

If "strategic" courses are limited, then quite honestly we should start restricting laser-tag and paintball to courses that are only open-ground not involving any real tactical skills.

Also, I took a couple of strategic courses in the military and I learned a *TON* about what things to consider when clearing rooms, advancing on blind corners/stairs, etc. That knowledge is now serving me very well as I walk around my house and think about what a real-life night-time situation might look like where I may not be entirely sure where the perp is in my house. Without that valuable knowledge I am much more at risk defending my home.

To limit a person's KNOWLEDGE is to limit one's ABILITY to hand oneself in a safe and effective manner.

It's funny... the anti-gunners are always crying about "uneducated" and "untrained" gun wielders not being able to handle their weapon safely and effectively... yet here they are criticizing the very classes which aim to correct that deficiency.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Strategic Tactical said:
Funny thing is, these are other instructors that say we shouldn't teach the general public these courses......
I'd be interested to hear their arguments, but until then I just have to assume that their thought-processes are off-kilter.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I'm confused... are you stating what your current offerings consist of (along with the limitations and your current reasons for those limitations) or are you stating what some of the other instructors are arguing the current offerings should be limited to?

Anything less that what you have stated, I think, is a mistake.
If what you are stating is that some of the other instructors are arguing to move towards, then I tend to agree with them. Indeed, team movements aren't necessary. Again, though, to place those limits is to deny those who perhaps want to get a step-up to going into some form of LE. Also, what about those who take such classes simply b/c they are fascinated by it and enjoy it as a form of entertainment/personal growth/knowledge???

Obviously it is your shop's right to restrict what you offer however you wish -- especially if you don't have enough customers for a certain class. But if you have plenty of customers and no better reason for limiting your offerings than just "the public shouldn't know these things", you are just doing the public a disservice. The "bad guys" will still learn it -- videos, ex-military who work for $$$ and not values, books, internet, etc.

Protecting the public against the public is always a lost cause.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
BTW, I just wanted to say that I thought this was the funniest post I've read on this forum so far... I was laughing for quite a good while! (and so was my wife!) :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts