Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just what the subject says -- My Sig P239 is worrying me a little because with the breech closed, I can see the end of the round that is in the firing position. Is this normal? I began noticing it when I went shooting with my friend near dusk and he shot my gun and said that he saw "sparks" when firing it. So after that I paid attention when I was firing it. As I fired it I noticed a 'flash' of light coming out of the breech area. After some thought I realized, well, it WAS dusk when I saw the 'flash' (my friend described as "sparks"). And the force of the blast is SUPPOSED to open the breech so the shell comes out, etc. So I'm not worried about the flash I saw. However, that is when I noticed a small gap at the rear end of the breech, even when it is supposedly entirely closed. And like I said, if a round is in the chamber, through the gap I can actually SEE the round, even when it is cocked and ready to fire. Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
:agree: Take it into Joe, he'll have a look at it and let you know if you need to send it back or if he can do something with it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here's a pic, the silver thing you see in the middle of the red circle is the end of the speer dot gold ammo .... the case of which is colored silver (not colored like brass).. not sure what it's made of.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FBMG Smithy said:
It doesn't even look like the extractor has a hold of the casing. Is it functioning normally?
"extractor" ?? you're talking to a non-gun-smith. Yes, it functions. I can't say for sure that it functions normally since i'm not a gunsmith, but it does seem to fire normally.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
eddified said:
FBMG Smithy said:
It doesn't even look like the extractor has a hold of the casing. Is it functioning normally?
"extractor" ?? you're talking to a non-gun-smith. Yes, it functions. I can't say for sure that it functions normally since i'm not a gunsmith, but it does seem to fire normally.
Sorry I ment that it is pulling the spent casing out of the barrel. Bring it in and we will compare it with other sigs. Out of the hundreds i've worked on I haven't seen the casing like you could in your pics.
I'll be there till 5pm tomorrow but will be there from about noon to 7pm saturday and most of next week.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
To me, THIS SEEMS NORMAL. I just looked at my Sig 239, which I bought brand new about 600 rounds ago, and it looks the exact same. Dunno if my gap is as big, would like to compare in real life, but I do have a gap there.

My GUESS for why this gap is there is so the extractor doesn't get pinched between the slide and the barrel.... but I could be way off.

The important thing is mine does have a gap.

·
Registered
397 Posts
This is completely normal the front of the case is deep inside the chamber the front of the case against the lip at the back of the barrel is what holds the case back from traveling forward, not the extractor. My Rami and my wifes kahr look the same

1 - 11 of 11 Posts