Utah Guns Forum banner

So, The Wife Say's... Go Get Your Own!

10K views 28 replies 5 participants last post by  jfwright1955 
#1 ·
As most folks on the forum know, I'm a Smith & Wesson fan as is my wife. My usual carry attire often consists of an M&P .40S&W full-size, which also accompanies me to the range. However, over the past few months I've been taking my wife's M&P 9mm full-size along with me and I've been enjoying it... really enjoying it. Besides the lower recoil it's also cheaper to operate given the lower price of the ammo.

So...

I mentioned to my wife I'd been taking her M&P to the range and liking it a lot. Her response... "Hey, stop using mine; go buy your own 9mm!" Oh, how sweet those words resonate with me. So, being the obedient spouse I followed her orders faithfully and purchased my own M&P 9mm full-size. It's the silencer-ready configuration, of course, for when silencers finally (hopefully) come off the NFA list under a Trump administration.

As part of full disclosure for the back story on this, "her" 9mm used to be mine until she took it to the range and training and decided she liked it so much she was taking it over. So, I think it only fair that I'm able to replace it with something better fitting of my needs, right? :D

Boy, how I love being married to a fellow firearms enthusiast. :thumbsup:

See less See more
#4 ·
Snurd said:
By the way, it didn't happen unless there are pictures. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I got a good deal on the internet so it's on it's way to a local FFL dealer after which I'll post pictures of me cradling my new baby. :lol:

#6 ·
A man after my own heart! I've been eyeballing the M&P 9 C.O.R.E. for months now, with threaded barrel. Been wanting to move from my M&P 40 (which I still love by the way, just want 9mm).

I've been using my VP9, which is a great gun. However, this lefty has trouble learning to keep his thumb off the slide stop, with his thumb forward grip.

#7 ·
Doctor Jenks said:
A man after my own heart! I've been eyeballing the M&P 9 C.O.R.E. for months now, with threaded barrel. Been wanting to move from my M&P 40 (which I still love by the way, just want 9mm).

I've been using my VP9, which is a great gun. However, this lefty has trouble learning to keep his thumb off the slide stop, with his thumb forward grip.
I've heard of you tape your thumbs below the slide stop really well, it helps eliminate that issue. :lol2:

#8 ·
Doctor Jenks said:

I took a quick look at the M&P 9 C.O.R.E. but having had one in the past, while it was good I don't think I'd go that route again. Instead I opted for the Smith & Wesson M&P9 Pistol W/Extra Threaded Barrel, Man. #: 150922. As I do with all my M&P's right out of the box, I'll drop in a $40 Apex Sear (to reduce trigger pull weight, shorten over-travel, and improve reset) then head to the range for some fun.

#9 ·
D-FIN said:
Real good deals on the internet should always be posted with appropriate links

:dancing:
Good point, D-FIN. Here's the link showing the available deals on the setup I got: SlickGuns.com

#10 ·
jfwright1955 said:
D-FIN said:
Real good deals on the internet should always be posted with appropriate links

:dancing:
Good point, D-FIN. Here's the link showing the available deals on the setup I got: SlickGuns.com
Looks like I got the last one from Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore. The link now shows "out of stock". Glad I beat the Christmas rush. :thumbsup:

#11 ·
Snurd said:
Congrats! Always fun to get a new gun. Especially one ready for a new can. :dancing:
Although I'll wait for Trump's signature for suppressors to come off the NFA list before I buy one, I do plan on replacing the M&P's standard sights along with installing an Apex sear. That being the case, I don't want to invest in one set of sights now and have to invest in another set once I get my suppressor for a clear view over the can. From reading up on the SilencerCo .40 Osprey it sounds as if sight clearance over standard-height sights is a non-issue given the Osprey's offset profile.

I should've paid more attention when I shot your setup, Snurd, but did you find the sight-view acceptable with standard sights peering over the Osprey?

#12 ·
jfwright1955 said:
Snurd said:
Congrats! Always fun to get a new gun. Especially one ready for a new can. :dancing:
Although I'll wait for Trump's signature for suppressors to come off the NFA list before I buy one, I do plan on replacing the M&P's standard sights along with installing an Apex sear. That being the case, I don't want to invest in one set of sights now and have to invest in another set once I get my suppressor for a clear view over the can. From reading up on the SilencerCo .40 Osprey it sounds as if sight clearance over standard-height sights is a non-issue given the Osprey's offset profile.

I should've paid more attention when I shot your setup, Snurd, but did you find the sight-view acceptable with standard sights peering over the Osprey?
You will need new sights if you buy the Osprey. I have tried it with the .45 Osprey and the 9mm Osprey. They both cover stock sights. I'm sure the .40 would as well.

Sent from iSnurd

#13 ·
Snurd said:
jfwright1955 said:
Snurd said:

You will need new sights if you buy the Osprey. I have tried it with the .45 Osprey and the 9mm Osprey. They both cover stock sights. I'm sure the .40 would as well.
Sent from iSnurd
Okay, thanks. I wondered if the claim, "... because of this eccentric design, most of the baffles and internal volume is beneath the centerline of the bore and out of the way of the gun's sights, thus leaving the shooter the ability to use factory sights with little or no sight or target obstruction..." was too good to be true. :cry:

#14 ·
Snurd said:
Sent from iSnurd
Any sight recommendations for standard dovetails? I don't really want to machine a new dovetail to accept most of the suppressor sights on the market today. I've a feeling once suppressors come off the list there's going to be a slew of sight manufacturers that'll fill that "standard dovetail" niche. Or, new suppressor designs that will provide unimpeded view over a can.

#15 ·
jfwright1955 said:
Snurd said:
Sent from iSnurd
Any sight recommendations for standard dovetails? I don't really want to machine a new dovetail to accept most of the suppressor sights on the market today. I've a feeling once suppressors come off the list there's going to be a slew of sight manufacturers that'll fill that "standard dovetail" niche. Or, new suppressor designs that will provide unimpeded view over a can.
Both my pistols I use the suppressors on came from the factory with suppressor sights. We bought some Ameriglo suppressor sights for my wife's G19, because she has an AAC Tirant 9 suppressor. Those sights don't even clear that can. Lame. It does work fine with the Osprey though. Not sure if they make sights for your gun or not. Been a while since I've been on their site.

Sent from iSnurd

#16 ·
jfwright1955 said:
Okay, thanks. I wondered if the claim, "... because of this eccentric design, most of the baffles and internal volume is beneath the centerline of the bore and out of the way of the gun's sights, thus leaving the shooter the ability to use factory sights with little or no sight or target obstruction..." was too good to be true. :cry:
I'm not sure why they say that. I don't know of any standard sights that sit higher than the Osprey. Unless the gun comes with suppressor sights.

Sent from iSnurd

#17 ·
Snurd said:
jfwright1955 said:
Snurd said:
Sent from iSnurd
Both my pistols I use the suppressors on came from the factory with suppressor sights. We bought some Ameriglo suppressor sights for my wife's G19, because she has an AAC Tirant 9 suppressor. Those sights don't even clear that can. Lame. It does work fine with the Osprey though. Not sure if they make sights for your gun or not. Been a while since I've been on their site.
Sent from iSnurd
Ameriglo has the front suppressor sight for the M&P but not the back. Strange. Oh, well. It'll be awhile even after suppressors come off the list and the dust settles from the inevitable buying frenzy. So, I'll just grab my popcorn and wait for the sight market to catch up. In the interim I'll install the new sights I have on the suppressor-ready M&P when it arrives Thursday.
:popcorn:

#18 ·
jfwright1955 said:
Doctor Jenks said:

jfwright1955 wrote: ...I took a quick look at the M&P 9 C.O.R.E. but having had one in the past, while it was good I don't think I'd go that route again...
That said, the C.O.R.E. does have the narrower rear dovetail and suppressor-height sights right out of the box. Whereas you've already got a suppressor that may be a bonus.

#19 ·
Okay, so here's the new addition. I'll take it to the range tomorrow to make sure everything works okay after which I'll drop in the Apex Sear and install the Speed Sights.

It's a fancy picture because I plan on entering it into a photography competition so it's a tad more than my usual point-and-shoot. :wink:

Attachments

#22 ·
Aad Geordie said:
Lovely job on the photo John-good luck :thumbsup:
Thanks, Geoff. Now I get to go dirty it up at the range. :D

#24 ·
Snurd said:
Doctor Jenks said:

I've heard of you tape your thumbs below the slide stop really well, it helps eliminate that issue. :lol2:

Man, I hadn't thought of that. Lol.

I can correct it when I have time to think about it, but inevitably my thumb ends up on top of the slide stop when I'm shooting quickly.

#25 ·
Doctor Jenks said:
That's a pretty gun. Hope you enjoy..!
I really enjoyed the trip to the range for its maiden voyage. :thumbsup:

The only disappointment was how far the sights were off from POA to POI. You could even look down on top of the gun to see how far they were off, both front and rear in opposing directions. I've not seen that sneak by S&W's QC before. Oh, well. They're getting replaced today with Speed Sights so I'll be able to dial them in, literally, for correct POA / POI. Other than that it performed flawlessly with over 200 rounds through it including a 36-round "fun stick". :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.