Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have discussed something akin to this topic before, but I am taking a slightly different angle, just to prove a point to all the guys out there with Magnum Envy (that's a disease where people believe that only the largest, baddest cartridge is capable of killing anything, even a groundhog).

How many of you would not hesitate to take a 500 S&W handgun on an African game hunt? I wouldn't hesitate for a second. It's the largest production handgun cartridge on the planet, to the exclusion of those weird-o 600 Nitro Express/577 TRex monsters that only godzilla can shoot effectively. To that end, I'd also never hesitate to take an African game animal or Grizzly bear with a 460 S&W. The only difference between the two is .048 of an inch and the 460 shoots at higher velocities. Each one handles between 200 or 300-500 grain bullets with aplomb. They are very powerful cartridges.

Yet when I tell people that I would take my Marlin chambered for 45-70 Gov't on an African game hunt, or to Alaska for Brown bear, they are skeptical and most think it's an anemic cartridge at best.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

The 45-70 is at least a full 7 or 8 mm longer than the 460 S&W and maybe 10 mm longer than the 500 S&W. Besides that, the 45-70 is shooting that 300-500 grain bullet at a few hundred feet-per-second faster, thus packing a bigger whallop. And it's a 22" rifle with less rainbow trajectory than those pistols.

Can you tell I love my 45-70??? :super:

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Centimeters. If I had my reloading manual here at work, I would've given the exact size in inches, like a normal person.

·
Registered
59 Posts
tapehoser said:
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

The 45-70 is at least a full 7 or 8 centimeters longer than the 460 S&W and maybe 10 cm longer than the 500 S&W. Besides that, the 45-70 is shooting that 300-500 grain bullet at a few hundred feet-per-second faster, thus packing a bigger whallop. And it's a 22" rifle with less rainbow trajectory than those pistols.

When the Ruger #1 first came out one of the most sought after models was the 45-70 sporter. Some of us Magnumizers (as we were called) took those rifles and worked with slow burning powders and projectiles designed for the 458 Winchester mag, and were able to get ballistics nearly identical to the 458. In it's factory loading with a 405gr jacketed soft point, it is a very effective big game rifle on anything on the Northamerican Continent and being available in several compact rifles was a favorite backup for guides in Alaska back in the 70s and 80s.

Sometimes, these days, I wonder when it will stop. Dick Casull is a good friend, and friend of the family. In my younger years I spent many wonderful hours with him while he developed single powder loads for the first commercial 454mag. By this time I had several years experience with the 44 Remington Magnum and although I was always in awe of Dick's talent and skill I actually didn't much see the need for the 454 when the 44 was so effective, and easier to handle at handgun ranges. Even though I had a couple of his early hand built guns I still prefered my 3-screw Rugers for hunting. (new models aren't bad either :roll: )

These days when you pick up one of the "Gun Wrags" somebody has come up with a newer more wonderful cartridge and frankly I don't see where they provide anything that hasn't available since the 60s. Give me a good 22lr, a 357mag,a 45acp, a 44mag and a 300Wby and I will hunt ahywhere in the world with confidence.

DJ

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Uh, Tapehoser, that can't be centimeters. Ten centimeters is four inches and the entire 45-70 cartridge is only about 2.5 inches long.

ian

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
ian husford said:
Uh, Tapehoser, that can't be centimeters. Ten centimeters is four inches and the entire 45-70 cartridge is only about 2.5 inches long.
I was wondering... I haven't seen a 45/70 and I thought "Dang, that's huge!".

Maybe he meant millimeters?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I think 45-70 is a great caliber but you have to put the bullet in the right spot just like any other caliber.

I friend of mine (Don't you love those "My friend has...." or a "A buddy once told me...." stories? :lol2: ) has a Ruger No.1 in 45-70 and he took it Bison hunting a few years ago. He loaded up some 400 grain bullets on the hot side and shot one at about 50 yards through the lungs. The bullet went through both lungs and stopped in the rib cage on the opposite side. The cow just hunched a little then went back to eating.

He said that the only way to kill one dead is to shoot it in the head, and they have a very hard head, or a spine shot.

·
Registered
402 Posts
tapehoser said:
When the day comes that I have more money than I know what to do with, the Marlin Guide Gun chambered in 45-70 will be at the top of the list. I have no need for one, have no plans to hunt outside of Utah or Idaho, but I just want one!

·
Registered
342 Posts
My family has a marlin in 45-70. I take it when I go camping or horseback ridding up in the high country or wilderness areas. Much easier to carry and is faster to use than my Remington 700 in .300 winmag. I even like shooting it more than the .300 winmag. I've been very impressed with that round when i've done plinking on railroad cross ties.

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ty, what's more impressive is when you reload the round and use modern powders at higher 'modern' pressure levels with premium bullets. Downright breath-taking!

G

·
I like my 45-70 too; although I rarely shoot it. Too expensive to shoot, too much recoil, too loud; but I do carry it often as it is light, rugged, and has significant wallop. My biggest pistol is a 45 ACP(I would have said 45 Colt but I load them at 11000 CUP making them fairly pathetic); I own one large rifle. I am just not that enamored with really large guns. But then I don't shoot cape buffalo often and my rather ancient Winchester 70 in 308 is all the rifle I will ever need for everything I hunt.

I have been toying with the idea of getting a Sako in 338 Lapua Mag but I am still fence sitting; I admit it is a little hot for gophers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anybody have a pistol chambered for the 45-70? Looks like it would be fun to shoot.

·
Registered
342 Posts
burninator said:
I want a Marlin 45-70...how much should I expect to pay for one in decent condition?

--Geoff
Marlin 1895 is the model
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/bigbore/1895.asp

There are a few variations of it but thats the basic model.

New base line model at impact for $509
http://www.impactguns.com/store/026495015503.html

Used would depend on condition and model.
Theres one on KSL right now for $400 but it's a different model than the one I linked since it's a G model and has a different grip.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad ... cat=&lpid=

Heres another on KSL
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad ... cat=&lpid=

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I believe the G model may also be an 18" barrel. I think the G stands for "Guide Gun". The 1895 I have is the 22" blued barrel. There's also a guide gun that comes in a stainless action/barrel that I would readily trade someone for, if the opportunity ever arose.

G

·
tapehoser said:
I believe the G model may also be an 18" barrel. I think the G stands for "Guide Gun". The 1895 I have is the 22" blued barrel. There's also a guide gun that comes in a stainless action/barrel that I would readily trade someone for, if the opportunity ever arose.
I just bought a used 1895GS (stainless guide) for my father from Galleon's for 300 bucks. I think new ones go for just over 600$.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts