Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
GeneticsDave said:
Outsider said:
GeneticsDave said:
I am still getting this:
Dave, are you still getting that?
Nope, works now! What ever you did, you did good!
Alright. I think it was mainly my web host because they were switching my account from their Omega Server to their Kappa Server, so hopefully that is all fixed. I was upset this weekend because I couldn't do anything with my websites nor get my normal e-mail.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
glock fan said:
One thing that you can do with a Glock that you can't do with a XD is change the trigger weight. There are several different configurations that will result in 4 different trigger weights. Your common Glock pistol comes with the "5.5lb" trigger. I have all of my Glock pistols set at a 8lb trigger. For competitive purposes, you can set the trigger as low as 3.5lbs. It's a matter of personal choice.

gf
Maybe I am confused by your statement but the trigger weight on a XD can be changed by a competent gunsmith.

·
Registered
572 Posts
MarshallDodge said:
glock fan said:
One thing that you can do with a Glock that you can't do with a XD is change the trigger weight. There are several different configurations that will result in 4 different trigger weights. Your common Glock pistol comes with the "5.5lb" trigger. I have all of my Glock pistols set at a 8lb trigger. For competitive purposes, you can set the trigger as low as 3.5lbs. It's a matter of personal choice.

gf
Maybe I am confused by your statement but the trigger weight on a XD can be changed by a competent gunsmith.
My point is that the trigger adjustment is a lot simpler with the Glock. No trip to a gunsmith required.

gf

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
glock fan said:
My point is that the trigger adjustment is a lot simpler with the Glock. No trip to a gunsmith required.
gf
I find this a mute point in the discussion. Changing the trigger pull on a gun that is going to be used for self defense/carry should only be done by a competent gunsmith/armorer due to the liabilities involved.

I have done trigger work on some of my guns but they are not used in a defensive role.

This is my opinion and you are free to do what you want. :D

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
glock fan said:
Keep in mind that your focus should be on the front sight post. Three things should be in view. This would be the target, front sight post and the rear sight. Target and rear sight should be slighly blurred, but the front sight should be clear. The chamber indicator on the XD is a distraction IMO.
I tested this yesterday with Dry Fire practices and by doing what you said that making the "rear sight" and the "target" blurring so you are focusing on the "front sight" and everything of that nature the chamber indicator didn't get in the way at all. But that is just what I saw. :D

G

·
Outsider said:
glock fan said:
Keep in mind that your focus should be on the front sight post. Three things should be in view. This would be the target, front sight post and the rear sight. Target and rear sight should be slighly blurred, but the front sight should be clear. The chamber indicator on the XD is a distraction IMO.
I tested this yesterday with Dry Fire practices and by doing what you said that making the "rear sight" and the "target" blurring so you are focusing on the "front sight" and everything of that nature the chamber indicator didn't get in the way at all. But that is just what I saw. :D
I too cannot agree with that. I have no idea how someone would have to be holding the gun, looking through the sites or contorting themselves to somehow have that chamber indicator interfere with their line of sight. I have never heard such a complaint from anyone. I really dont even see how it would be possible. I would think if your lining up of the front and rear sight are so far off as to allow the chamber indicator to come into view, you would have to be so far off target you wouldn't hit anything anyway. Certainly this is something that would be so incredibly uncommon I would not think it could even be considered an issue :dunno:

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
glock fan said:
Three things should be in view. This would be the target, front sight post and the rear sight. Target and rear sight should be slighly blurred, but the front sight should be clear. The chamber indicator on the XD is a distraction IMO.
Hey, gf, I know you hate XDs but you're really reaching on that one ;)

I've never been distracted -- at all -- by the LCI, but I just pulled out my gun to take another look. By the time the front sight dot is anywhere near in line with the rear sight dots, the LCI is completely occluded by the bottom of the rear sight. Even when the front sight is far enough above the rear sight that the LCI is visible, it's the same color as the slide and blends in unless you're specifically looking for t. In contrast (literally), the white dot of the front sight is instantly visible.

·
Registered
572 Posts
swillden said:
glock fan said:
Three things should be in view. This would be the target, front sight post and the rear sight. Target and rear sight should be slighly blurred, but the front sight should be clear. The chamber indicator on the XD is a distraction IMO.
Hey, gf, I know you hate XDs but you're really reaching on that one ;)

I've never been distracted -- at all -- by the LCI, but I just pulled out my gun to take another look. By the time the front sight dot is anywhere near in line with the rear sight dots, the LCI is completely occluded by the bottom of the rear sight. Even when the front sight is far enough above the rear sight that the LCI is visible, it's the same color as the slide and blends in unless you're specifically looking for t. In contrast (literally), the white dot of the front sight is instantly visible.
For the record, I don't "hate" the XD. I'm actually looking at a XD 9 and XD 40. I'm simply relaying the feedback that I got from students that came through my NRA Basic Pistol class. I've found that it's about 40/25/20 on how gun sales go after the class. That's 40% purchase a Glock, 25% purchase a M&P, 20% purchase a XD, and 15% purchase some other type of handgun.

It's not my intent to "slam" any gun, but rather to simply set the record straight when there is inaccurate info being shared about my firearm of choice. :wink:

They're all good guns. They have things I like, and things I don't like about them. There are 2 particular guns that I will recommend against. Friends have come to me and asked about the guns and I tactfully inform them that there's a reason that they're no longer in business. :)

gf

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
glock fan said:
For the record, I don't "hate" the XD.
Maybe not, but some people here seem to hate the Glock ... i.e. XD-bigots. :lol2:

I don't think that the Glock vs. XD wars will ever quite go away here.
In the interest of full disclosure, I own and carry a Glock 27. Great little gun!
In the interest of fuller disclosure, I would love to get an XD 9 or 40 for fun. I have nothing against the XD.

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
glock fan said:
For the record, I don't "hate" the XD.
I knew that. That's why I put the winking smiley. Just yanking your chain :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I also have the 4" XD 40, and one other feature that I don't know was mentioned is the double recoil spring. This along with the grip angle seems to reduce the noticeable recoil. Before we bought ours, we rented the glock and XD with a group of friends. Of the 6 of us, all 6 thought that the XD was more manageable and we all shot slightly better groups with the XD. Maybe this was due to the reduced recoil of the XD. This was a group that wasn't as experienced with handguns, and with training, I'm sure that either gun would be perfectly adequate otherwise the glock wouldn’t be so widely used by law enforcement. I wonder how much better the new XDm will be. It seems that the XD is a common gun for concealed carry, but does anyone know why it isn’t as common in law enforcement?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
MountainManXD said:
...but does anyone know why it isn’t as common in law enforcement?
I would assume the reason was that the Glock has just become well entrenched in the LE community and government organizations, along with their members, are slow to change. Some still use revolvers.

·
Registered
572 Posts
The trigger pull on Glocks are easier to modify. The stock Glock comes with a 5.5lb trigger. Many departments require a slightly heavier trigger pull (8lbs.) this is commonly called the "New York Trigger". Changing the trigger pull from 5.5lbs to 8lbs can be done very quickly and doesn't require any specialized training or gunsmithing. All of my CC Glocks have the 8lb trigger. A lot of LEO like their off duty firearm to have the stock 5.5lb trigger.

Just one of a couple of reasons why I thinkt the Glock is more popular among LE agencies.

gf

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
glock fan said:
The trigger pull on Glocks are easier to modify. The stock Glock comes with a 5.5lb trigger. Many departments require a slightly heavier trigger pull (8lbs.) this is commonly called the "New York Trigger". Changing the trigger pull from 5.5lbs to 8lbs can be done very quickly and doesn't require any specialized training or gunsmithing. All of my CC Glocks have the 8lb trigger. A lot of LEO like their off duty firearm to have the stock 5.5lb trigger.

Just one of a couple of reasons why I thinkt the Glock is more popular among LE agencies. gf
Reminds me of this scenario:

Nothing against you gf but I find increasing the weight of an already long and heavy trigger to 8 lbs. a solution to a different problem - poor training. I guess it's cheaper to change the trigger pull than to provide training on good gun handling skills. :roll:

·
Registered
572 Posts
MarshallDodge said:
glock fan said:

Just one of a couple of reasons why I thinkt the Glock is more popular among LE agencies. gf
Reminds me of this scenario:

Nothing against you gf but I find increasing the weight of an already long and heavy trigger to 8 lbs. a solution to a different problem - poor training. I guess it's cheaper to change the trigger pull than to provide training on good gun handling skills. :roll:
Call it whatever you like, as Mr. Gaston Glock agrees with you. The reason why the "New York Trigger" came to be was due to a substantial order from New York law enforcement agencies. Poor training or not, the two stage "New York Trigger" is standard for many LE agencies.

It's a matter of personal preference, which is a good thing. If you want a lighter trigger, you can reduce the trigger pull to 3.5lbs by a simple modification.

gf

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have this model as my handgun of choice, and have only good things to say about it. I actually didn't do too much research before I bought it, but am glad that I ended up getting this one.

One of the things I'm considering doing right now is getting the subcompact 40S&W as an extra addition, since I love the model and can share the ammo between the two. I'd then carry the subcompact around but leave the other at home in the GunVault at home.

I'm still playing with the idea (and figuring out how to convince the wife to let me get another "toy", haha), but I'm loving this gun and have recommended it to several people (including a friend at the gun show last weekend who is going to get this model, too).

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.