Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way home from Lee Kay last Thursday I stopped by Sportsman's Warehouse to check out the inventory, especially the Stoeger Cougar that I've been reading about. I was hoping to raise cash by selling one of my rimfire rifles and get one in the near future. However, Sportsman's was running a no sales tax sale through the 21st and I couldn't resist saving a few bucks and the Cougar followed me home - the effective price would have been around $318 before sales tax. Now I have to move that rimfire before the credit card come due.

I wasn't able to get to the range right away and my weekend was taken up with too many other things. However, I was able to get out this morning to the west side of Utah lake and wring out the new pistol. I was pressed for time since we had a turkey day commitment at my mother-in-law's so I only took 130 rounds with me - a mixture of 115 grain reloads (115 grain copper plated lead over 4.7 grains of WW 231), 115 grain Winchester white box, and some Federal Premium 124 grain hydro-shock.

For once the gun rags gave an accurate review of this pistol's performance. Not one failure to feed, failure to eject, or malfunction of any kind. All the brass ended up in the same general location about seven to eight feet to behind me to my right. Accuracy was great. I haven't shot a centerfire semi-auto pistol in some time - nearly eight years - and my mechanics were less than perfect. However, with one out of three rounds, I was bouncing a four-inch diameter plastic ball all over the place at distances between fifteen and twenty yards.

Double action pull was long, but actually easier and, perhaps, lighter than my Taurus 85 snubbie and was comparable to my S&W model 19. The single action let off around four pounds with no creep - actually very good for an out of the box compared to most out of the box 1911s I've owned (three Colts, one Springfield and one Norinco).

I really like the way this gun fits in my hands - I have medium sized hands. The grip is more like a Browning Hi-Power or a CZ 75 with that little indent near the top of the grip to accommodate the web of the hand. The frame is anodized aluminum and the slide is actually painted - somewhat like the original CZ-75 manufactured during the 70's and 80's. The finish is durable - at least the Gun Scrubber and Shooter's Choice didn't seem to affect it during the initial cleaning. This Cougar is a keeper and I'm one happy camper.

They say that most gear made for the original Beretta Cougar will fit the Stoeger Cougar so I may be able to equip this pistol with the necessary holsters, etc..

·
Registered
67 Posts
My dad purchased the same gun a few months back from Cabela's. For a guy who's more into the western style shooting, he loves this gun. He says it shoots great and he seems to hit the mark every time. Nothing much is different about it from the Beretta Cougar except that it's manufactured in Turkey instead of Italy. I think it's a really great gun. Me I still like my Glocks though.

I want to add to that the Beretta Cougar mags will fit this gun just fine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GLOCK_PROTECTED said:
. . . Me I still like my Glocks though.
I used to own a second-generation Glock 19 and a third-generation Glock 21 and still think they are great firearms. I just couldn't adjust to the striker fire trigger even after several years of using them - I even installed a 3.5 pound trigger and couldn't adjust. I guess that's what happens when one starts out shooting 1911 style pistols and tries to transition to striker fire pistols.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've never shot a 1911 that I cared for very much but they have been the cheaper models, I have never shot a Kimber or anything up to par with that. I have been interested in trying a Springfield V10 though. I haven't heard many reviews on them but they fit my hand well. I guess I really need to get out and find what fits me best before I commit to anything.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just bought a Stoeger Cougar 9mm as well, my first gun purchase, although I've shot a fair number of handguns. I really like the action and weight of the gun. I think I prefer the traditional DA over the Glock type action for an all purpose handgun. It's also prettier than a Glock IMO, for what that's worth... I have been having some trouble getting used to the grip though. I have pretty small hands, and using my usual grip of cupping my second hand underneath my primary hand is uncomfortable, because the heel of the magazine is getting in the way. I didn't feel like I was shooting it very well my first time at the range because of this. (Compared to a Glock 22 for example). I've been trying gripping it differently at home and I have something figured out that I want to try at the range.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gramps said:
I just bought a Stoeger Cougar 9mm as well, my first gun purchase, although I've shot a fair number of handguns. I really like the action and weight of the gun. I think I prefer the traditional DA over the Glock type action for an all purpose handgun. It's also prettier than a Glock IMO, for what that's worth... I have been having some trouble getting used to the grip though. I have pretty small hands, and using my usual grip of cupping my second hand underneath my primary hand is uncomfortable, because the heel of the magazine is getting in the way. I didn't feel like I was shooting it very well my first time at the range because of this. (Compared to a Glock 22 for example). I've been trying gripping it differently at home and I have something figured out that I want to try at the range.
Glad to see you're enjoying your pistol. Not that I'm an expert in shooting, but I believe the consensus is that cupping your off hand is not recommended. What usually happens is the gun's recoil will elevate the pistol off of your cupped supporting hand and make rapid follow up shots difficult. I believe most shooters will wrap their supporting hand around the front of the primary hand in a two hand grip.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I went to the range again today, and things went a lot better. I think I've adjusted to the new grip. I was shooting about as well as I expected to this time. It takes some serious concentration to shoot a pistol accurately, part of why I find it so enjoyable. Now I've got to get a .22 so I can put more shots down range without breaking the bank!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts