Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Ruger, but. . .I really regret the lack of holster options available. Mostly, because I really want a Blackhawk CQC Serpa like my friend has. So that's what my world has come too, choosing a firearm based on available holsters. Anyway, I really liked shooting my friends SW40VE one time when we were out together, but I personally prefer a 9mm package and was wondering if anyone had first hand experience with the SW9VE model? I know that my friends SW40VE fits perfectly into the Serpa designed for the Glock 19, so that's what I'm aiming for.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You considered an XD? My 5 in tactical .45's are a perfect fit in the serpa. 1911's work great too. You can get either gun in a 9mm if thats what you want.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have considered, even desired, but cost is my biggest issue and I haven't seen any XD's or 1911's brand new for less than $350.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Narcisist said:
I have considered, even desired, but cost is my biggest issue and I haven't seen any XD's or 1911's brand new for less than $350.
I completely understand the $ thing. I am learning in my old age (well, late middle age anyway) that sometimes its better to wait a while and save up to get what I really want vs getting something I can afford right now that will work, but isnt really what I wanted. I'm currently working on the funds for an aimpoint. I could go grab a less expensive red dot sight right now that would do the job, but I'm going to hold out.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I would say save up for the XD, but I'm a biased XD owner. :D

No, from what I understand, the sigma series are a decent inexpensive pistol. It's not like your thinking about buying a HI-point instead of an XD or other pricier gun. :D (Disclaimer: I love HI points.)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I actually bought a SW9VE not too long ago. Couldn't pass up the chance for two free magazines, and couldn't afford the nicer M&P model just yet. I just felt very strongly at the time that I needed something reliable, from a company I could trust, sooner than later. And the Sigma was right in my price range.

Since then I've fired probably 350 - 400 rounds through it. It's nice. I've had no problems what so ever. The one thing I've noticed is that it tends to aim a bit low on me.

Other than that, although I'd like something else for the long term, I feel very good about having it in my home.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. I really liked my buddies SW40VE and just wanted to know if it had the same quality in the smaller caliber. I think it's what I'm gonna get, in the future when I have more "fun"dage, I may get something like a 1911 or an XD, but if you can spend less and still have all of your requirements met, that's a victory to me. Now. . . .Blued or stainless. . .?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
blued will look like a glock, stainless will look like an upgraded glock.

Oh, a ergonomic Glock with a round trigger guard. IMO :D

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Narcisist said:
... So that's what my world has come too, choosing a firearm based on available holsters....
You should mix in being left handed and see how you feel then. A big part of why I bought the XD is left handed holster options. I got my SERPA last week and absolutely love it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's true. It can always be worse, I do try to remind myself of that every once and a while. I might not be left handed, but I am left eye dominant, try that one out sometime. That's hard to change.

·
Registered
540 Posts
My first handgun was a SW9VE, bought not too long ago (Probably 2 years ago, or so.) Anyway, I ended up trading it in for a XD9SC. There is a WORLD of difference between the two. The XD is a MUCH better gun, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, the SW9VE isn't bad, but the XD is worlds better. The SW9VE tended to be a little off aim for me, as mentioned by another earlier. Also, I didn't like the trigger pull. It just didn't feel smooth to me, it felt more like a toy gun then a real gun's trigger.

I suppose I can't really pinpoint an exact reason that I didn't like the SW9VE, but I didn't. Since I traded it in for the XD, I have bought another XD, this time a 45. I am hooked on the XD line, and can't say enough good about them. If I were you, I would save up and buy a better gun. You do get what you pay for.

That said, the SW9VE is a good gun, and will be reliable for you. But I bet you'd like the XD better!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went to the gun store today with my wife, and we looked around a bit checked the feel of a few pistols. I can say that I don't really like the way the XD looks to me, can't explain it. But we looked at a Sigma and I do like the way it looks and it felt good in both of our hands. I know it has a heavy trigger, but it wasn't excessively rough, comparable to the double action pull of my P95. I think I'm gonna put one on layaway, minds made up. Besides, you can only buy what you can afford, and I suck at saving money. :wink:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Not sure how to post the link but someone just put one of the 9mm Sigma's up on KSL for $245 about 10 minutes ago. Not a bad deal.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I see it, and I want it, but eagle mountain.?.?. whew, that's a long freakin way from here. I think the mileage would eat my savings.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thx997303 said:
Oh, it's not that bad, just head down redwood.
For like. . .200 blocks or so. It's a 1 hour drive, 45ish miles. I go there sometimes on deliveries, and I'm never happy about it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just got the pistol and the new holster today, and I gotta say I'm pretty satisfied. I bought a carbon fiber serpa holster and it's the most comfortable holster I've worn, and the release mechanism is great. I like the Sigma alot. The trigger isn't the lightest I've shot, but it won't take long to get used too. The sights are big and bright and it points more naturally than any other pistol I've shot. I haven't taken it to the range yet, but my initial opinion is two thumbs up. I'll let you know how it shoots this week.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. It's always fun to add a new member to the family :D . Have fun with it and post a review when you can.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hello,

I have owned my SW9VE for roughly 5,000+ rounds, (3 years). To date, I have only had to send it to S&W once, for a new extractor. Totally free under S&W's wonderful lifetime warranty. It is also my primary OC piece. I too carry it in a SERPA meant for a Glock 20/21, fits great, so snug. I love the factory 16 round double stack magazines, I'm always the last one to load when we go out. VERY easy to take down and clean. No safety feature to speak of except the DA trigger and some common sense. The grip is extremely ergonomic, although i don't like the lack of option for grips. I do keep it clean, but let me say - I have dropped it in mud, water, dirt, and anything else you can think of when camping; and I STILL wouldn't trade it for anything. Shoots just as good as it did when i bought it new.

:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts