Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
My wife has a gen 4 G26. Whenever she shoots it she has to wear a shooting glove because the grip texture is pretty sharp and digs into her hand. The gen 4 G35 we have also has the same problem. I have felt other gen 4's and most don't have that issue, but for some reason, these do. Being a .40 caliber, the G35 actually becomes one with your hand since it's a little bit more snappy in the recoil department. It almost requires another person to help get the firearm removed safely from your palm. Not really, but you get the idea. We really like both guns a lot, and I decided to try out some Talon Grips to see if it would help out.

I've seen Hickok45's reviews a bunch of times, and he always has the Talon Grips on the guns that he owns. I've also heard of others that use them, so I thought I would order a couple and see how they work out.

I ordered them on Monday, and they showed up in the mail today. :dancing: We'll call that "lickitty split shipping". They are $16.99 each with free shipping. If you order more than one, they will take $1 off of each set, so both of them cost a total of $33.98.

Applying them is pretty easy. There are videos online, and they also send instructions along with the grips. Inside the envelop comes the grips, instructions and an alcohol wipe. The instructions says that they recommend using more than just the one wipe, so I whipped out a bunch that I have had sitting around since Abraham Lincoln was a mere lad. Give or take a few years.

The grips we bought are made for gen 2-4 Glocks, but the video I watched said that for the gen 4's you need to cut out a little bit of the grip so that they won't interfere with the magazine release on either side of the grip. They also make grips for a plethora of other firearms. It also notes that on the instruction sheet. So I test fit them before removing the backing paper to see where I needed to cut them. I just used a pair of scissors, and it was done pretty quickly. I test fit them a few times to make sure that I had taken enough off. After I used the alcohol wipes, I took some of the backing paper off and started to apply it on the G26, on the left side. Working it around without putting too much pressure on it so that it could be adjusted if needed.

When I was all done putting them on and was happy with the install, I turned on the heat gun, as instructed, and heated up the grips slightly so that the glue would adhere better. Once heated, you just massage the grip so that it conforms to the gun better. You do this a few times, and make sure everything is down nice and tight, including all of the edges.

They are very thin, so they don't add a whole lot of girth to the grip. So that's nice.

The gun feels SO much better. I've only done the G26 so far, but it is a lot nicer to hold. I'll be putting them on the G35 soon, and might get some for other guns just for the fun of it.

Also, there are two different types of grips they have. One is a granulate type, and the other is a rubber type. I snagged the rubber version. If you need to file your nails at the range, the granulate might be the way to go. With the granulate grips, they have black and pink, but the rubber there is only black. Not that I mind having the black. My wife would have preferred the pink, but didn't want the granulate texture.

I'll most likely post again when we have had a chance to shoot these with the grips on. So far I am liking them quite a bit, and think they will be much better than the standard pokey grips. There is a little part on the backstrap on the bottom that isn't covered, so it's still pokey right there, but the rest of the grip has been improved.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391035772.762046.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391035816.795593.jpg

(Sent from iSnurd)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I look forward to hearing more as you get to try them out.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
I swung by the skateboard shop in the mall and bought a sheet of nonskid board tape. I added the tape to my pistola an viola!, instant sand paper grips. It makes quite a bit of difference and was REALLY cheap! Just don't get any cleaner/oil/or solvent near the grips or else the adhesive stops adhering.

Sorry, no pictures yet... soon though...

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dewittdj said:
I swung by the skateboard shop in the mall and bought a sheet of nonskid board tape. I added the tape to my pistola an viola!, instant sand paper grips. It makes quite a bit of difference and was REALLY cheap! Just don't get any cleaner/oil/or solvent near the grips or else the adhesive stops adhering.

Sorry, no pictures yet... soon though...
I don't do my nails at the range, so I opted for the rubber grips. :D

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dewittdj said:
...yeah... and they're hard on the nylon stockings if you forget and bend over, brushing the grip against a leg... :shocked:
You probably shouldn't wear your fish nets while carrying with those then.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Snurd said:
dewittdj said:
...yeah... and they're hard on the nylon stockings if you forget and bend over, brushing the grip against a leg... :shocked:
But they're sooo much more durable than the plain old panty hose!

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dewittdj said:
Snurd said:
dewittdj said:
But they're sooo much more durable than the plain old panty hose!
But the hair flows in the wind when you wear them. Might be time for some waxing. :shock:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Can we get a Mod to move this over to the ladies only section and you two can carry on your conversation! :D

I've been wanting to try some Talons for a while now, however I didn't realize they had a rubber style. I only knew of the skateboard tape ones. I like the Gen 4 grips but want to try something different. So now I'll have to try them both. Let me know what you think after you have shot them, and Dewitt how do you like the style you built?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I don't think I could stand the sandpaper stuff. I don't mind the gen 4 grips myself but I would be curious to see how the rubber ones feel.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
D-FIN said:
I don't think I could stand the sandpaper stuff. I don't mind the gen 4 grips myself but I would be curious to see how the rubber ones feel.
Most of the gen 4 grips aren't too bad, but for some reason these two are more aggressive than almost every other one I've held. We will probably go shoot them on Friday night sometime.

(Sent from iSnurd)

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
I out the grips on the G35. This one only required a little bit of trimming on the left side of the gun where the mag release is. The right side didn't interfere with the release. :D

Here is what it looks like:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391111438.176679.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391111461.029095.jpg

(Sent from iSnurd)

Attachments

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Holy massive improvement Batman! I'm gonna have to give these grips a fantastic rating. On a scale from 1 to mucho bueno, they are going to get a mucho bueno.

Usually when we take the G26 and G35, there is a pretty good amount of discomfort because of the grip pokeyness. My wife always has had to wear a shooting glove because of the owie factor of the grips. With the G35, after a few mags it was painfull to shoot. I know not every gen 4 is like this. A few of my friends have gen 4 G19's, and they are much less pokey than the two we have are. Actually our G30 is much less pokey, and that one is a joy to shoot. I may get some Talon's for that one just for the fun of it.

Shooting the G35 was actually quite dreamy. Like I said, after a few magazines, it would be on the not so fun level to shoot because the grip would dig in quite a bit and almost require a pry bar to help you release it from your palm. After installing the grips, there was no discomfort at all. Fer reals. I put 90 down the tube without any issues, and my wife put 10 down the tube to test it out. She shot it awesomely.

The G26 was just as awesome. My wife put 80 down the tube, and I put 20 down range. This time she shot, it was the best she had every shot it. She didn't need a glove and was on the verge of utter giggliness. She was shooting faster than she normally does, and was getting better groups. Same with the G35. Groups were improved for both of us, and we were having a grand ole time.

I would highly recommend these to anyone. Even if you don't have a pokey grip, they have the rubber texture that helps you hold on to the gun better. Improvement de la massive.

I haven't tried the sandpaper type grip, so I don't know how those feel, but both of us enjoyed the rubber grips a lot.

:dancing:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I don't need to try the sandpaper type grip. I can imagine what gripping sandpaper would feel like and I wouldn't like it. :ack:

Glad it was so nice! :D

·
Registered
912 Posts
Cut a bicycle inner tube up. I put one over my homemade grip reduction gen 3 G19

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
RoccoRacer said:
Cut a bicycle inner tube up. I put one over my homemade grip reduction gen 3 G19
Wet the grip with hairspray first and then slide the tube up and over the grip. The wet hairspray acts as a lube for slipping the tube in place. When the hairspray dries, the grip is stuck in place.
:wink:

·
Registered
912 Posts
dewittdj said:
RoccoRacer said:
Wet the grip with hairspray first and then slide the tube up and over the grip. The wet hairspray acts as a lube for slipping the tube in place. When the hairspray dries, the grip is stuck in place.
:wink:
sweet tip. I think I'll have to do a redesign of my tube cut.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
The reference to the bike inner tube brought back the method that we used for putting new rubber grips on mountain bikes.
1. Spray the bar and inside the grip with hairspray. Any old cheap brand would do.
2. Slip the tip of the nozzle of the air compressor in the drain hole of the grip.
3. Place the opening of the grip against the handle bar end.
4. While holding the grip, use the foot pedal to release air from the compressor into the grip.
5. The grip would balloon slightly allowing you to slip it on down the bar and the hair spray acted as a lubricant.
6. The hairspray would dry and act as a cement. The hairspray that we were using worked so good that we had to cut the old grips off.

You could do the whole process in less time than it takes to read the above instructions.

With some ingenuity, it might be possible to engineer something similar with bike inner tubes.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
I thought I would update this a bit. I recently put some Talon Grips on the 9mm Shield. Being a smaller gun, it can be a little more difficult to keep the groups together. They like to spread out a bit. The grip on the Shield is also relatively smooth compared to other grips, so that may play a small part. After placing the Talon's on there, we took it to the range for some shooting. We were able to keep the groups smaller, and the rubber grip gave us more control over the little fella.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402843544.398958.jpg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts