Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back about ten years ago I was talking with a Cache County Sherriff who was a CC instructor. He told me that I should never load my gun with anything other than basic ball ammo because if I shot someone and it went to court it would cause problems. He said that he testified in many court trials were the lawyers turned the focus back on to the shooter saying that they had their gun loaded with such and such bullet and they were just waiting to be able to shoot someone. What do you think of that? What do you carry your gun loaded with?

What do you think about glazer safty slugs?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I carry Remington Golden Saber personal defense rounds. I carry it for one reason only. To stop any potentialy deadly threat. If I ever have to use my gun it will be to stop a threat, not "scare" the threat. I am not discounting regular ammo, because pretty much any ammo you shoot at someone is going to stop the threat, however, the personal defense rounds is made to ensure that.

As far as getting into trouble for having HP ammo or personal defense ammo, I am not well educated. I cannot see how that would make a difference..... unless you empty a magazine of it into someone after the first shot was a fatal one.

·
Registered
230 Posts
m&p40 said:
As far as getting into trouble for having HP ammo or personal defense ammo, I am not well educated. I cannot see how that would make a difference..... unless you empty a magazine of it into someone after the first shot was a fatal one.
I have a hard time seeing this as anything other than an attorney's vain ploy myself.

"You bought those bullets and put them in your gun just to KILL someone, didn't you!?!" Only if I had to. :dunno:

"But you chose those bullets because they were more likely to KILL didn't you!?!" If I didn't intend to kill him, I wouldn't have shot him. :raisedbrow:

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
Basilisk3 said:
Back about ten years ago I was talking with a Cache County Sherriff who was a CC instructor. He told me that I should never load my gun with anything other than basic ball ammo because if I shot someone and it went to court it would cause problems. He said that he testified in many court trials were the lawyers turned the focus back on to the shooter saying that they had their gun loaded with such and such bullet and they were just waiting to be able to shoot someone. What do you think of that? What do you carry your gun loaded with?

On the instructor's comments: Carry what the police do. That's brand-name jacketed hollowpoints, NOT FMJ. Speer Gold Dot, Federal Hydra-shok, Remington Golden Saber, Winchester SXT... you won't go wrong with any of them. If the prosecutor tries to argue with your choice of ammo, you should just ask the arresting officers what they carry.

On Glazer Safety Slugs: I don't think they're a good idea. I've read a lot about the pros and cons and the net is that they don't have enough penetration. They tend to make nasty-looking wounds that are very wide, very shallow and don't get into the vitals to disrupt organs or open major blood vessels. The one advantage they have is reduced penetration through wallboard, etc. Unless your living arrangement is such that almost any miss will go through a wall and hit someone else, I think Glazers are a bad choice.

Another issue with Glazers is they're so expensive that you're unlikely to shoot enough to make sure they function well in your gun.

I'm carrying 9m Speer Gold Dots, 143gr +P+. Speer sells them for law enforcement.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Basilisk3 said:
The 'conventional wisdom' I have heard is to use hollow points because ball ammo will over penetrate and you are liable if the bullet harms anyone behind the target. There are all kinds of arguments to be made on ammo selection but for me, I want the bullet that will stop the threat. An expanding bullet does more damage than ball in tissue, thus in my mind performing better for the intended purpose.

I carry hollow points in everything I use for protection. I use Golden Sabers, Hydra Shock, and XTPs.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I figure if it's not reload, you should be good to go. I carry Carbon DPX. :swat:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Ten plus years ago to get good personal defense you had to reload your own. Lawyers were having a field day with this. Then the ammo companies started coming out with great PD ammo, and even the LEO's stated using them. Now a days it is no big deal. I now use Federal HST, no more reloading for PD.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
The kind that goes "BANG" EVERY time.

Tarzan

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Tarzan1888 said:

Tarzan
Most of the time it did go bang, but then sometimes no go bang. That is why I only reload for range use in my handguns. :lol2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Basilisk3 said:

This might have been said before, You are responsible for every bullet that leaves your gun that includes the ones that pass through what you shot at.
Factory loaded JHP is your best option, I like most anything with a Gold dot slug in it.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
If we applied the logic that 'deadly' ammo can make us more liable, then we'd all probably be carrying single shot .22s. I've yet to see ANY proof that this even might be the case. It may have been brought up before in a lawsuit, but I've yet to see any evidence that the type of ammo (even reloads) influenced the outcome of a shooting trial.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
rdoggsilva said:
Tarzan1888 said:

Tarzan
Most of the time it did go bang, but then sometimes no go bang. That is why I only reload for range use in my handguns. :lol2:
Ahh You are begining to see already.....

Tarzan

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I carry Federal HST's. Hollow points or Expanding Full Metal Jackets are what you want. The bullet should expand once it enters into the target preventing over penetration and not hitting "good guys".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts