Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies!!!
I am moving to Utah in March 2015 and I could use your help/ advice on the ccw process and I would like some input on how you ladies carry. I am new to gun ownership and I want to learn all I can so I can get my conceal permit ASAP when I move to Utah. Please post some pics here on your favourite carry piece and your preferred holster. I would also be curious to see what other back up/ additional safety tools you keep close and if they come in handy. Thanks!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
I'm not a female, so please forgive the intrusion. Many questions you have I will not attempt to answer. The only thing I will comment on is, why are you waiting to get the Utah Concealed Firearms Permit? You can get it now. If you go to the state website you can search for instructors near you. It is currently taking the state about 40 days to issue permits. Once you get to Utah you can change your address. The whole process is simple and easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Uinta Firearms said:
I'm not a female, so please forgive the intrusion. Many questions you have I will not attempt to answer. The only thing I will comment on is, why are you waiting to get the Utah Concealed Firearms Permit? You can get it now. If you go to the state website you can search for instructors near you. It is currently taking the state about 40 days to issue permits. Once you get to Utah you can change your address. The whole process is simple and easy.
Hmm interesting I guess I hadn't put much thought into that. Perhaps I thought I would get the best information at a better price when I go through the training class or something in Utah.....California is just so darn expensive and moving is a big cost so I guess I hadn't put much thought into taking care of it online. That is a pretty long time to wait lol. Hmm got some thinking to do :) Thanks for the tip!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
No problem. I understand about Cali being expensive. I'm in Chicagoland, and will be moving to Philadelphia in about 9 months. The Utah course out here is going for about $80. In Salt Lake City I've seen for around $50. As for instructors, vet them. Ask about credentials. One trap I see a lot of new students fall for is an instructor that points out they are police. That doesn't mean they fully understand what they are teaching, especially when their job may not involve a firearm beyond wearing one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
For Utah to issue a nonresident permit you need to have a resident permit in your home state unless your home state doesn't issue permits so you will need to check into this.

If it was me I would just wait until I got to Utah, find the cheapest class to get that over with, Purchase this bookhttp://www.amazon.com/Utah-Gun-With-Plain-Talk-Summaries/dp/0966972139, read said book a couple times and participate in this forum. Take most of what your CC instructor says with a grain of salt and verify the information with the book and this forum.

Check out this site,http://www.corneredcat.com/ for good information dealing with women and their carry issues. She has a lot of useful info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
muddy said:
For Utah to issue a nonresident permit you need to have a resident permit in your home state unless your home state doesn't issue permits so you will need to check into this.
It is only if your home state recognizes the Utah permit that you must have your home states first. Cali does not recognize the Utah permit therefore you would not need it first.

Reference: 53-5-704(4)(a)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent advice guys thank u so much! I am definitely getting that book too, then ill have plenty of time to read up before the move and be ready when I get there. Thanks again for all the help!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
JoeRandall said:
muddy said:
For Utah to issue a nonresident permit you need to have a resident permit in your home state unless your home state doesn't issue permits so you will need to check into this.
It is only if your home state recognizes the Utah permit that you must have your home states first. Cali does not recognize the Utah permit therefore you would not need it first.

Reference: 53-5-704(4)(a)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^^^This.

You beat me to it. I just had this conversation with an Idaho resident that lives down the street from me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,258 Posts
Straight from the application: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/documents/CFPapp0614_000.pdf
☐ NON-RESIDENT PROOF OF PERMIT
If you reside in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah CFP or has reciprocity with Utah, you must obtain a CFP or CCW from your home state and submit a copy with the expiration date visible.
For a list of reciprocal states visit: http://www.publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQother.html.
Residency will be determined by your state-issued identification.
If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,258 Posts
Another good local resource for women related CFP issues and training is Patty (Armed Female on this forum) at: http://www.thearmedfemale.com/
She does one on one training, groups, and hosts a free get-together (for women only) at one of the local ranges.

I highly recommend attending one of the free Saturday (once a month) get-togethers and have a fun filled morning, shooting, discussing related CFP issues and then enjoying a luncheon afterwards. You'll make a lot of new acquaintances who are very familiar with the local laws and culture.
:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dewittdj said:
Another good local resource for women related CFP issues and training is Patty (Armed Female on this forum) at: http://www.thearmedfemale.com/
She does one on one training, groups, and hosts a free get-together (for women only) at one of the local ranges.

I highly recommend attending one of the free Saturday (once a month) get-togethers and have a fun filled morning, shooting, discussing related CFP issues and then enjoying a luncheon afterwards. You'll make a lot of new acquaintances who are very familiar with the local laws and culture.
:thumbsup:
That sounds awesome! Im down for some lady networking :) gosh I have so much to look forward to im gonna be like a kid on xmas morning lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,129 Posts
I'll answer in behalf of my wife, but first I'll do my "instructor mode" recommendations.

I'm not a fan of off-body carry, if you can help it. If not not attached to you, then it's something you have to take effort to control. Guys can hang things on their belt like batman's utility belt, but the ladies tend to not use belts and clothes tend to be tighter fitting. That usually means your options are limited to ankle carry, or something like Flashbang (http://flashbangstore.com/), or a fanny pack. There was one of my students who was a lady and worked as a teacher in an elementary school. She was taking the course because of threats from a violent ex-husband. She settled on an ankle holster, since she needed to have the firearm with her at all times.

Now, as for how my wife carries -- she will usually have the pistol in a pocket in her purse, and the purse is intentionally designed to hold a firearm (something like this:
http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... urse11.jpg). It is in a separate pocket, and there is a built in holster (velcro - highly adjustable). Our kids are all grown and gone, so we don't have to worry about little fingers exploring the purse at home. If we are going somewhere where the purse may be set down, like a relatives house, the zipper on the special pocket can be locked.

The trick with a purse is, if the goof jumps out of the bushes to rob a lady, his intent will be to take the purse. Still, having a gun in a (secure) purse, is better than having a gun at home, should the need arise.

My daughter is proportioned such that she can carry a Ruger LCP (.380) strategically tucked in her bra. She says it leaves a funny impression, but it works for her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
My wife will soon be joining the ranks of armed women. She is going with off-body carry. I just started giving her the Utah cfp course tonight. She has already purchased a bag to carry in. She's taken NRA Basic Pistol, Illinois Concealed Carry, Holster Retention, and Force on Force. She's better trained than I was prior to carrying. Next up is Navy qualifications.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
I intend on carrying in the bra as well. Of course, I say intend, because as much as you can say you will use a holster, you never know until you try it on and feel it. I plan on trying the Flashbang original holster (center of the bra) and the Marilyn that they also make. It's a sort of bra/ shoulder holster. Is it weird to say I'm excited? Haha.

I hate carrying a purse most of the time (and I'm apt to set it down and leave it God knows where), so purse carry is pretty much out of the question for me unless I become more strict with actually carrying a bag. However, I have heard good things about the purses that they make. I checked one out and they were sturdy, lockable, and still very cute. There's definitely an advantage to purse carry-- you don't have to change your style and wardrobe.

How exciting for your wife though! The worst part about getting your CFP is definitely waiting for it, which is where I am :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
710 Posts
I don't do off-body carry. I've done it before. It feels weird. If you want to be in control of your weapon, you can't treat your purse the way you usually treat it. Men might not notice, but women will notice that you're not putting down your purse.

I usually appendix carry my LCP, IWB cross-draw at about 10:30. If I don't have a waistband that will support my gun belt, i.e. if I'm in my interview suit or slacks/skirt, I carry in a belly band and it's under my right elbow. I have a Flashbang but it doesn't work well for me because it keeps popping out when I move, and I move a lot. Occasionally, if I am wearing the right pants, I use my ankle holster.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top