Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This recent piece talks about an alarming trend for the breakfast-cereal industry, but the implications for gun ownership bear thought.

Roberto A. Ferdman said:
On Monday, the New York Times published a story about the breakfast favorite, and the most disconcerting part was this:

Almost 40 percent of the millennials surveyed by Mintel for its 2015 report said cereal was an inconvenient breakfast choice because they had to clean up after eating it.
https://washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp ... -laziness/
http://nytimes.com/2016/02/24/dining/br ... ereal.html

Let that sink in for a moment. For these millennials, even briefly rinsing a milk-soaked bowl before clattering it into a corner is too much work. By comparison, cleaning a gun after firing it at the range is undoubtedly akin to struggling up an exposed hill against a bitterly cold wind in the depths of winter whilst wearing a fifty-pound pack. No way, José! :nilly:

What does this mean for the future of personal gun ownership? One wonders. :shock:

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
The dad of one of my friends never, ever cleaned his guns. I posted a thread a while back about it. My friend borrowed his 10/22. The .22 rifle probably had many thousands of rounds through it with zero maintenance. That's no cleaning, and no lubrication at all. It was metal on metal, on carbon, on icky. It jammed up on almost every shot. It was awful. We took it back to my place and spent a lot of time cleaning everything and lubing it up. Worked like a charm afterwards.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Snurd said:
The dad of one of my friends never, ever cleaned his guns. I posted a thread a while back about it. My friend borrowed his 10/22. The .22 rifle probably had many thousands of rounds through it with zero maintenance. That's no cleaning, and no lubrication at all. It was metal on metal, on carbon, on icky. It jammed up on almost every shot. It was awful. We took it back to my place and spent a lot of time cleaning everything and lubing it up. Worked like a charm afterwards.
Sounds like a pistol I bought from Guns America. Every screw was loose, there was so much lead in the barrel it took two days to clean it out, and that was after soaking it in carburetor cleaner overnight. The lead was so thick in fact that you could only see about 1mm of light through it. Worst cleaning experience I have ever had. After cleaning, tightening, lubing and protecting this purchase it worked like a gem. I will never buy from them again. Cleaning is such an important facet of gun safety and handling that it should never be ignored.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Wow. I've been known to put off cleaning my guns for a few days sometimes, especially when I've only put a few rounds through them. However, it always gets done eventually.

It's incredible how many people don't clean their guns. Some people, like one friend of mine, don't do it because they feel like they don't know enough to do it right.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I might be weird, but I enjoy cleaning them almost as much as shooting them.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Snurd said:
My dads guns were much the same way when I got ahold of them. He said he was told on his old Nylon 66 that didn't need any regular cleaning. He didn't even own a cleaning kit. The colt frontier .22 was a little better but still needed a good scrubbing. The Colt Detective was my mom's previous husbands police service weapon. I don't know if my dad ever shot it but it was so gummed up the cylinder took pressure to move it. The oil had congealed or something. I had to scrub the heck out if it. Taking apart the nylon can be a bit of a task but it was manageable and worked so much better after. It was very dirty. They all work pretty good now but he still doesn't really have a cleaning kit so it's up to me to borrow :crown: them from time to time and clean them.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Jiggerman said:
Yup. You are weird. Strangely, I used to not like cleaning them very much. I did it anyway, though. The other day while we were relaxing at home, I had a craving to clean a gun. :oops: Now I'm weird too.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Snurd said:
Jiggerman said:
Yup. You are weird. Strangely, I used to not like cleaning them very much. I did it anyway, though. The other day while we were relaxing at home, I had a craving to clean a gun. :oops: Now I'm weird too.
I think it depends on the situation. I always enjoy cleaning a new gun, for instance. :cool:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ya know, it's the strangest thing.

My shotgun tends to be in deepest need of cleaning right about the time my daughter shows up with a new suitor.

Can't figure that one out.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Bill801 said:
Ya know, it's the strangest thing.

My shotgun tends to be in deepest need of cleaning right about the time my daughter shows up with a new suitor.

Can't figure that one out.
My daughter brought a bunch of friends over, about half guys, half girls, while I had close to a dozen guns in our front room; some complete, some in various levels of disassembly. I found out later that more than one of the guys decided against asking my daughter out as a result of that incident. It wasn't planned as I don't like most people knowing how many guns I actually have. But the outcome was acceptable. :mrgreen:

One of the young men has since recanted his decision and dated my daughter for a while before they both left on their missions a couple of weeks ago.

Matt

1 - 16 of 16 Posts