Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought Lara a toy gun with a holster and she really likes it. I got it mostly to start introducing her to the safety rules and terms. When I ask her what concealed carry is she takes her shirt and covers the gun. When I ask her what open carry is she pulls the shirt behind so that her gun is in plain view. I don't allow her to point her toy gun at people. Am I being overbearing with that? I know kids love to pretend but I take the safety rules seriously and I want her to also. What are some of your thoughts?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I don't like it when my kids point their toy guns at other people, either, but you can't always stop it, either, which is why the other safety rules are so important (stop, don't touch, leave the room, tell an adult, etc.). My kids will shoot each other with their Nerf guns, though, and I don't have as much of a problem with that. My husband and I are both very anal about gun safety, but not so much about ones that are obviously toys. Does that make sense?

And kudos to you for starting early education with Lara. :thumbsup: In my opinion, if you're going to have guns in the house, then kids need to start learning the rules as soon as they can recognize what a gun is.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think you're doing great!

I have 3 little boys, so obviously the toy guns have made their way into the kid's room. They are always the first thing to come out with friends come over to play. A LOT of my friends do not allow their kids to play with guns.... How would you handle it? Who you say,

a) if they're at my house they're going to be around toy guns
b) would you like me to put the guns away?
c) what do you want me to do about the guns, is it okay if they play with them?
d) we have a lot of toy weapons, if you don't want your kid around them, maybe they should play at your house?

I really dont understand. I know my boys will MAKE guns out of legos, or sticks, or whatever they can get their dirty hands on.... so what's all the paranoia about anyway?

I say, you're doing a great job letting Lara play with the gun while educating her at the same time. Kids that aren't allowed are more likely to be curious and have an "accident"

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
emmaishappy said:
Kids that aren't allowed are more likely to be curious and have an "accident"
I agree with you all the way here. Lara is not even 4 yet and she knows the difference between a real gun and a fake gun. She also knows that if she sees a gun that is not hers the rules are #1 DON'T TOUCH IT! and #2 Tell mommy, daddy, or a grown up right away!

With her toy gun she knows not to point it at anyone and always keep her finger off the trigger until she's ready to "shoot". I'm really proud of how fast she's catching on. I know that teaching her this early is giving her a better chance at staying safe. I'm careful with guns but you never know if other adults around your kids are irresponsible enough to leave theirs within reach of children. :disgusted:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Sounds like you're doing it all perfectly with Lara, Kat! Good for you!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think you are doing awesome! I don't have children yet but i know that I want my children to know all of the safety rules and know how to handle guns as soon as they can.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I agree and do the same thing.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
:agree: with all of the comments.

Kids, especially boys, will make guns out of anything. It is a fine line with letting them point toy guns at people/kids as they are playing. So, I made sure to reinforce the fact that it was okay, because it was a toy gun.

When they got their real gun, they knew the difference. If you work with them like you are doing, they just know. Besides, you keep their real gun in a locked case/safe, so that is obvious.

One thing I did when other kids came over who weren't educated on guns was, encourage them "set up a range". Make a firing line, and place the targets down range. Knock things over with the nerf/air soft guns. Call the cease fire and go reset. My boys liked the fact that they were teaching other kids. At it taught the other kids safe handling.

Or we did imaginary hunts, like we were on an African Safari for lions and tigers.

The payoff, my boys are 10 and 13 and they are excellent to take to the range. They know how to conduct themselves and at times, behaved better then some adults I have shot with! :crown:

P.S. I tell them all the time, that they will have to make sure that their future wife doesn't just "put up with guns" but loves them. :ROFL:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts