Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a member of a local fly fishing forum a few years back and someone had some official forum baseball style hats made displaying their logo. I bought 3 of them at the time. I don't belong anymore because of the extreme radical left, anti-gun attitude, and crude comments of many members. I don't wear the hats either unless it's to protect my head when crawling under my vehicles to fix something. It would be better for the environment to have you be eaten by a bear than to pollute the natural habitat with a lead bullet. (Sorry I got off on a small tangent. Back to the subject at hand)

Has anyone toyed with the idea of getting an official UCC hat made? Maybe there is one already and I just don't know about it. I would buy one of each color especially if it contributed to the cost of running this forum. I would wear it often to advertise this forum and my views about protection. The only problem I see is that if you wear a UCC hat you probably would be given away the fact that you might be concealing a weapon. Maybe just the UCC logo and not the "concealed carry" verbage. If people asked what UCC meant I would tell them. Stickers for vehicle windows would also be cool. Even cooler to have a place to write your forum name so that we can say we saw ________ on the freeway or parked in front of _____ (wait maybe that's not a good idea :huh: ). I have a possible connection to someone that makes promotional items for businesses. I can ask on the minimum order and cost if interested. Would anyone else be willing to pay $15-20 for a hat? Of course I wouldn't do this without permission because it would be an infringement of copy write laws and just plain unethical. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
That is not a bad idea. Maybe some one can check in to it. Would be a good way to make money for the forum.

·
Registered
342 Posts
15-20 for a hat is a decent price. If they are fitted or elastic band fitted, came in general sizes, and were embroidered I'd be down for 30 bucks if needed. I could change out my hat that i wear now. My wife hates it so she wouldn't mind me getting something else. Go SC!

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
I won't buy a crappy hat. It's got to be something nice. If the color scheme is good and I like it, you bet I'd pay $20 for a good ball cap! Anybody have the wherewithall to come up with something like that?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I know a lot of organizations go through Cafepress.com for customized logo stuff. Might be worth looking into.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
We looked into a store a while back but it seemed that there would be lots of legal and tax issues that we would then have to deal with. Due to the lack of lawyers on the site, we didn't get very far with it. I'd like to have a store, but if it's going to be all complicated and get us into legal (IRS) trouble, it's not worth the hassle.

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
If I can print up a hat that says "Tapehoser Family Reunion 2008", I am sure someone here could work out something that would avoid the hassle of "business" requirements. I don't know...just throwing it out there.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
It's not really that. It's:

Do we make a profit for the board?
If so, who has access to the account?
Since we are making a profit, how does that person report that income?
etc, etc...

·
Super Moderator
1,552 Posts
Any way to have a 3rd party create the hat and we just have the option to purchase, if we desire? Like say we sent in the logo to a hat-making outfitter here in Utah and asked how much they'd charge. Then we could just purchase it directly from them, without any sort of interference or interaction from UCC.com? Wonder how Thomas would feel about using the logo?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think a hat would be great. So would a t-shirt. Doesn't OCDO have merch?

·
Registered
701 Posts
tapehoser said:
I won't buy a crappy hat. It's got to be something nice. If the color scheme is good and I like it, you bet I'd pay $20 for a good ball cap! Anybody have the wherewithall to come up with something like that?
I agree to and I have a rather large head and the hat needs to be deep enough to fit on my head. :beat:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I love the hat idea as well. I would definitely buy one, especially as Tapehoser said, if it was a really nice, quality one Actually, I might be down for both a high-quality one as well as a cheapy to work in the yard with.

With regards to the money... couldn't we just figure out a way to pump all of the proceeds into the account with the domain-provider so that every hat just keeps purchasing more future access for the site??? Anything additional the group might need would be uncommon and we could just ask for donations or something.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We looked into a store a while back but it seemed that there would be lots of legal and tax issues that we would then have to deal with. Due to the lack of lawyers on the site, we didn't get very far with it. I'd like to have a store, but if it's going to be all complicated and get us into legal (IRS) trouble, it's not worth the hassle.
Good point that I never considered. Sounds like it would get complicated. If I ever get rich I'll buy 500 and give them away free. Right now I'm not rich.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
We discussed this at length a while back in the Posse. There are legal issues involved. Here is how this can happen though without much hassle.
A member of the forum (anybody) simply makes hats and sells them to whomever they feel like selling them to. (I for one will buy one.) The business and tax consequences now become the problem of the individual NOT the forum and how the individual handles things is 100% up to them. Technically you are running a small little business and probably should report incomes, etc BUT the IRS is not going to make an issue over a few hundred dollars that is really more of a hobby than a business. People buy and sell stuff all the time without reporting it as income, etc. We decided however that the forum simply didn't want to jump into that game. I say someone just do it. Also as an FYI, I buy embroidered hats all the time for my company and you can get a really nice hat custom embroidered for under $10.00. If you are paying more than that you are paying too much. Whoever runs with this can either sells items at cost and basically not profit (even less of a risk with the tax consequences now as you aren't making any money) or charge more than cost and make a few bucks for their time and hassle. There is also the issue of shipping for those that can't attend events.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
I was already in the process of setting up a CafePress store for this when we talked about it. I'll get it going tomorrow if people want.

·
Registered
223 Posts
GeneticsDave said:

etc, etc...
Is this to say that the forum DOES make a profit right now? (Laying aside any ball cap sales)

Not that I have a problem with it, but I wonder how. I haven't seen any ads.....

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
The Shop is Now Open!

If you'd like an article of clothing with the UCC name/logo on it, please visit the UCC Storefront.

All articles of clothing are available in various colors, so get exactly what you like. I used white as the main display color for most items, but that can be changed.

Sorry about the hats, the site wouldn't let me put the logo on the hats for some reason (text only), so I made it so that you can change the text and color as you like.

CafePress and most of the other sites required a SSN or Federal Tax number (see what I mean about pain in the booty?), so that's why we are doing it on SpreadShirt - trying to keep things simple.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
eddified said:
GeneticsDave said:

etc, etc...
Is this to say that the forum DOES make a profit right now? (Laying aside any ball cap sales)

Not that I have a problem with it, but I wonder how. I haven't seen any ads.....
This forum does NOT make a profit. Thomas (the owner of the forum) has simply paid for the registration and forum out of his own pocket as a "hobby." When a bunch of us donated money to change hosts and improve the forum a while back, basically we were simply giving Thomas a personal donation to keep the forum going. Thomas is using this money to pay the registration for as long as the money lasts, which will probably be a few years based on how much was donated. It is quite cheap to run the forum, and since nobody is getting paid to maintain or do anything, is stays cheap. It is basically a case of Thomas spending his own money for a website that is a fun hobby (you can spend your money on whatever you want) and some of us simply wanted to give him some money to help.

·
Registered
304 Posts
GeneticsDave said:
The Shop is Now Open!

If you'd like an article of clothing with the UCC name/logo on it, please visit the UCC Storefront.
OMG Dave! I'm going to buy everything! LOL! :crown:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts