Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
This one of those times I am ashamed to be British (seems to be happening a lot lately) :disgusted: . Whats next answer machines for 911/999?

Mind you this is nothing new. Before I moved to the US I worked for an electronics company that built among other things CCTV equipment. The father in law of one of the guys that worked in my section owned a jewelery store in the main town center (about 5 minutes from the police station). One night they had a break in. Everything was captured by their cameras but they had problems playing it back so they asked us to help. We watched through the whole tape and from the time the crooks broke in and set of the alarm to the time the local bobbies actually arrived was in the realm of almost 2 hours. Remember this store was only about 5 minutes from the police station.

And people ask why I don't depend on law enforcement to protect me and my loved ones.......

·
Registered
304 Posts
jimtheguern said:
This one of those times I am ashamed to be British (seems to be happening a lot lately) :disgusted:
My dad is from England. He's thoroughly against guns. He's always telling me how the US has more guns deaths than Great Britan because Great Britan has the right idea by not carrying guns...mind you, he hasn't lived there for almost 27 years! He is not aware of just how bad it has gotten there criminally. When I try and tell him, he just says, "I know what it's like, I've lived there. You never have so you don't know what you're talking about!" GRRRR! He is so set in his ways!

·
Registered
476 Posts
About a year ago I wrote a paper on the ineffectiveness of gun control/gun bans. I used England for a lot of the examples. The increase in gun crime over the past decade alone is frightening. If there was ever a country to use as an example of the folly of gun bans that is it. And that's coming from someone who until 3 years ago had never picked up a firearm. You need to take your dad shooting. Once he empties a couple of mags he'll change his mind :twisted:

My Gran feels the same way about guns though. In her case it is because of the occupation during WWII.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
jimtheguern said:
This one of those times I am ashamed to be British (seems to be happening a lot lately) :disgusted: . Whats next answer machines for 911/999?

Mind you this is nothing new. Before I moved to the US I worked for an electronics company that built among other things CCTV equipment. The father in law of one of the guys that worked in my section owned a jewelery store in the main town center (about 5 minutes from the police station). One night they had a break in. Everything was captured by their cameras but they had problems playing it back so they asked us to help. We watched through the whole tape and from the time the crooks broke in and set of the alarm to the time the local bobbies actually arrived was in the realm of almost 2 hours. Remember this store was only about 5 minutes from the police station.

And people ask why I don't depend on law enforcement to protect me and my loved ones.......
Sorry Jim. I believe it is reprehensible that it would take 2 hours for the police to arrive after a jewelry heist. The police force should be able to be sued for damages on that one! Truly though, England has fast become a laughing stock for criminals everywhere. Where else can they go and get off Scott free because someone stopped them from "pursuing" their chosen profession. Or where the criminal can hold you at knife or gun point and ransack your house and get away with it, but if you defend yourself you are the criminal? These are just some of the things we have seen over the past few years over the pond. It is truly getting bad. Now this! 2 hours to 2 days, that really helps out a poor rape victim, or the victim of an "illegal" armed assault and robbery. I bet you have really thought about how fortunate you are to be here in the States where we allow you the right to defend yourself, your family and your property.
And America gets clobbered for being barbaric because of our "love of guns." :dunno: I just don't get it!
Glad you are here Jim!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Cinhil said:
And America gets clobbered for being barbaric because of our "love of guns." :dunno: I just don't get it!
:agree:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Thanks for the support guys. I'm very happy to be here :D

I have a couple of friends coming over next week who I plan on educating them in the ways of the gun. Convert the Brits one at a time if necessary :twisted:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Cinhil said:
The police force should be able to be sued for damages on that one!
Well, I dunno about the UK, but here in America, the courts have already ruled that the police don't have any liability to respond to ANY calls! If they ignore your 911 call, or come too late, there is no blame you can legally lay on the cops. So the courts have ruled.

That fact just makes the argument of citizens with guns that much more powerful.

·
Registered
397 Posts
eddified said:
Cinhil said:
Well, I dunno about the UK, but here in America, the courts have already ruled that the police don't have any liability to respond to ANY calls! If they ignore your 911 call, or come too late, there is no blame you can legally lay on the cops. So the courts have ruled.

That fact just makes the argument of citizens with guns that much more powerful.
I was just about to say that!!!

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
eddified said:
Cinhil said:

I agree. I also feel strongly that if police, whether here or other countries such as Britain, are going to have slogans such as "To Protect and to Serve" plastered on their vehicles that that alone should create some sense of responsibility. In other words, if the department itself says this or has this slogan plastered for the public to see, then there ought to be some reasonable guide to gauge their responsibility as a department should they fail to respond in that time. But honestly, several hours to get to a jewelry store! That is millions of dollars of loss which could occur after the initial break in when the original thieves are long gone. Sure they hopefully have insurance to cover the loss, still though, this could also completely ruin the business.

And Yes, I am fully aware of the legalese language used by the court to state police here in the US do not have to "protect and serve." Very sad indeed, but that is a great reason for citizens to be armed for the defense of their property, selves and others. I know I don't want to wait hours for help when the perp is right in front of me ready to commit murder and mayhem. I need, at that time, whatever resources I have available to me to stop them in their tracks. This is why we all should be able to carry. Police can't be everywhere at once, and our self reliance must be available instead of restricted when and if the need arises. Trust self first, police will come later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts