Utah Guns Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Premium Member
5,591 Posts
This substitute bill passed both the House and Senate as shown by the Status page.

2/28/2007 House/ signed by Speaker sent to Senate
3/5/2007 Senate/ signed by President/ enrolled
3/5/2007 Bill Received from Senate for Enrolling
It will soon go to the Governor. He's the last chance to kill it, so please write him to ask for a veto.

· Registered
3,180 Posts
I just finished sending my email to the Governor requesting that he veto this bad legislation.

· Premium Member
5,591 Posts
We lost a minor skirmish here, but avoided a far more serious bill. The substitute bill was signed by the Governor.

Still, it's not nearly as bad as originally passed by the Senate. This is what the final substitute bill added:
2(a)(ii) acknowledging that the Legislature has the authority to regulate, by law, firearms at higher education institutions:
(B) authorize a higher education institution to make a rule that allows a resident of a dormitory located at the institution to request only roommates who are not licensed to carry a concealed firearm under Section 53-5-704 or 53-5-705.
It then becomes incumbent upon a resident of a university dorm to request roommates who do not have a CFP. The question becomes this: how would they know? I would interpret this (I am not a lawyer) to mean that if the university found out that a student has a CFP and is a roommate of someone who invoked this rule, then the university would have grounds to take administrative action against the CFP-holder.

I don't see anything here that would make the breaking of such a university rule a crime in any way.

So, we lost a little bit of ground but fended off a much worse threat.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.