Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if any of you XD users/owners are using reloads as your range/practice ammo. If I remember correctly owners guide says not to use reloads fresh ammo only but how many of us listened when mom said "don't get that tattoo you'll be sorry later :ROFL: :nilly: ". Any feedback is appreciated.

THX

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Every owners manuel says that. I would say that reloads are fine as long as you aren't putting hot loads through it. The gun is plenty tough but you don't want to push it with a polymer frame. As usual, careful and precise reloading and you'll be fine. Just remember reloads voids your warrenty...if they see evidence or reloaded ammo through the gun (hot loads punishing the gun).

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i do most of my shooting at doug's and pretty much every time they ask you fresh or reloads and it's always 9x19 115 gr. i don't want to sound too cheap but everybody is trying to save buck or two but last thing i want to do is mess up $500 gun because i wanted to save THAT buck or two. (that's why i'm trying to get more info/feedback on it before i even try a box of reloads)

·
Registered
613 Posts
I buy my ammo, no problem $11-12 a box.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I always use reloads for my range practice and plinking. So far the reloads have been commercially done from fired-once brass. I haven't had any problems with the my XD using them or with my Taurus 605 or my Bersa Thunder although for my Bersa, they weren't reloads, they were originally loads that I did.

ian

G

·
I have shot far more reloaded ammo in my life than new including back when a trip to the range was less than $60-80. Reloads are fine.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
I think this point has been made, but let me reiterate it just so it's clear.

Factory reloads should be fine in your firearm, typically they are loaded just like new rounds from major manufacturers. The only difference is that the brass has been used once before (completely safe).

Handloads are a different animal. Depending on who reloads them (and if you trust that person), how hot they are loaded and how many times the brass has been used, your results may vary. I think this is what the manufacturer is advising against. There are so many variables that they are disclaiming responsibility if you use these rounds.

Granted, if your handloads are light or normal and mimic the factory reloads, you shouldn't have many problems.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I say, if you are going to use reloads, reload them yourself. Then if you screw up, you will have no one to blame but yourself.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
looks like i should stick with fresh stuff and if i want to save couple bucks i should go to wally's world buy a box of 100 winchesters for 20 bucks.

G

·
Eddie_XD9 said:
looks like i should stick with fresh stuff and if i want to save couple bucks i should go to wally's world buy a box of 100 winchesters for 20 bucks.
Unless you buy by the case and shoot a few a year that makes sense you would save 40.00 a case on reloads. If you dont shoot a few 1000k a year then...... Wally world

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i don't shoot "often" (now everybody has their own definition of often) in my case once maybe twice per month about 150-200 rounds each time. i guess it's either doug's or wally's for me.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Maybe once a month I'll shoot a few (5 at the most) factory loads. But mostly, I shoot reloads in my handguns--LOTS of reloads--MY OWN reloads. I'm not trying for max velocity. My main goal is that the shots go about where factory loads do. And of course, I'm hoping to get accuracy too.

I tend to shoot tighter groups with factory loads, but in three of my guns the "one-time-only" tightest 5-shot groups have been with reloads. Two of those guns are XD's -- XD40 and XD9.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Here's my story. After 10 years and over 50,000 rounds of my reloads through a Glock 21, one of the metal guides in the frame broke. Cleaned the gun up, sent it to Glock and they replaced the frame, completely disassembled, inspected, replaced worn parts and sent it back. No questions. Duplicate factory loads and you should be fine. If you want 44 magnum performance, don't buy a 45 Long Colt and jack it up.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
How in the world would the factory know if you had been shooting reloads in the first place? ...unless you were dumb enough to tell them, I don't know how they would even be able to determine you had.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Have a buddy who just abused the crap out of a Vacarro. Massively hot loads. The gun started to spit lead from the cylinder gap. He sent it back to Ruger. The frame had stretched in the cylinder area. Ruger fixed the gun by putting a longer cylinder in, for no charge mind you. They did give written warning to stop shooting extreme reloads. In some extreme cases they can tell, but at least Ruger still fixed the pistol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts